What's new

OFFICIAL: Trade Deadline Thread

But in the New NBA landscape, those 1st rounders are pretty valuable. Nobody else traded a 1st today. And those 1sts with the Jazz's cap space could make the Jazz active on draft day....(I just realized I am already falling into the 'next time' trap-Crap).

This is my fear too. My main issue with the Jazz is that if we draft Burke and he sits for at least a year, our core doesn't match as well age wise. Just that kind of stuff. I think we can all hope (and be relatively confident) that only one big will be kept. Hope we can either move up for a guy we really love or get another good young player on draft day I guess.

This is my fear too. My main issue with the Jazz is that if we draft Burke and he sits for at least a year, our core doesn't match as well age wise. Just that kind of stuff. I think we can all hope (and be relatively confident) that only one big will be kept. Hope we can either move up for a guy we really love or get another good young player on draft day I guess.

I don't get the age-matching theory - could you enlighten me on that?

I don't get the age-matching theory - could you enlighten me on that?

Not a huge issue, but if we draft a guy who's 18 or 19, it's probably going to be 2 years before we trust him to do much, just knowing the Jazz. Maybe Favors and Kanter will finally be ready according to our coach by then so maybe it's not an issue. I'd just prefer to draft a guy who's 21 and a little further along in his maturation given the choice.

Not a huge issue, but if we draft a guy who's 18 or 19, it's probably going to be 2 years before we trust him to do much, just knowing the Jazz. Maybe Favors and Kanter will finally be ready according to our coach by then so maybe it's not an issue. I'd just prefer to draft a guy who's 21 and a little further along in his maturation given the choice.

Ahh.. I see. Usually big men develops more slowly right? So it might work out OK?

To be honest - that's what I initially thought they would do. But now it seems "flexibility" is the key word.

I'm leaning towards them trying to work out a reasonable deal for Big Al. If he wants more $ then walk.

Then try to work out a deal with Millsap.

Actually this is a good problem to have. Having them both for negotiations means that it gives us leverage to get the cost down.

If you believe this, you are buying the company line, hook, line and sinker.

This is not reality. This assumes the Paul and Al have no other offers. Your scenario will not work out at all.

Howard is the #1 center. Al is #2. Al will get a max deal no matter what the Jazz/Millsap do.

Humphries and others get 12 a year. Paul will be in the 12-14 range. Regardless of what Utah/Al does.

Both will be overpaid.

The Jazz will overpay 1 and tell us it's a great deal.

You will agree, because you trust two guys who are only out to make money of people who trust others.

Yeah I mean I'm not saying it's the end of the world, just that I would rather have Bledsoe than any pg coming out this year.

To be honest though I'd say the Favors / Kanter combo is not quite ready yet. If you were to compare them to a roast chicken, I guess it'll be like you've just finished thawing them out of the freezer and is just about to throw them in the oven.

On that basis, may be Burke might not be too far behind. I wonder if that thought process was a part of why they didn't pull the trigger.

If you believe this, you are buying the company line, hook, line and sinker.

This is not reality. This assumes the Paul and Al have no other offers. Your scenario will not work out at all.

Howard is the #1 center. Al is #2. Al will get a max deal no matter what the Jazz/Millsap do.

Humphries and others get 12 a year. Paul will be in the 12-14 range. Regardless of what Utah/Al does.

Both will be overpaid.

The Jazz will overpay 1 and tell us it's a great deal.

You will agree, because you trust two guys who are only out to make money of people who trust others.

But we can offer both of them 5 years though right? Offers they can get from other teams will be only for 4 years.

So in the end, all else being equal, it would be in their best interest to consider our offer as we can offer that extra 1 year.

On that basis, we look at both guys, see who provides the best value for money, then go with that.

To be honest though I'd say the Favors / Kanter combo is not quite ready yet. If you were to compare them to a roast chicken, I guess it'll be like you've just finished thawing them out of the freezer and is just about to throw them in the oven.

See I don't get that. What, or how does a player be ready without playing time? It's not like they magically become better by watching from the bench. Everyone knows that isn't the case, and that it's the same old way as it was when Jerry was coach. It won't ever change and I think we all should just accept that.

But we can offer both of them 5 years though right? Offers they can get from other teams will be only for 4 years.

So in the end, all else being equal, it would be in their best interest to consider our offer as we can offer that extra 1 year.

On that basis, we look at both guys, see who provides the best value for money, then go with that.

Yeah let's designate Al or Paul our franchise player by giving them a 5 year deal instead of one of your young guys. Al and Paul have proven they are franchise changing talent throughout their careers.

That way we can be spending 65% of our payroll on our 3 big rotation for three years (during the overlap of Favors Kanter and Al deals).

Brilliant!

Anyone like Al-fouriq Aminu as an unrestricted FA this summer? Same draft class as Favors and Hayward. Good athlete who is mostly a slasher. Apparently, his problem is consistency, but if the alternative is Marvin Williams....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DrjvZP2li5k

Last edited:
Intriguing.

See I don't get that. What, or how does a player be ready without playing time? It's not like they magically become better by watching from the bench. Everyone knows that isn't the case, and that it's the same old way as it was when Jerry was coach. It won't ever change and I think we all should just accept that.

Have you cooked roast chicken before? Or roast Turkey or Roast pork?

- First you take the chicken out of the freezer. (You draft the player)

- Second you take out the plastic wrapping/bag. (Summer camp)

- Thirdly you thaw them out in the microwave - this is done at a very slow temperate as to not damage the texture/fibre of the meat. (You play these guys limited minutes to start of with). Another point to note here is, the more delicate the meat, the lower the heat and the longer the thawing process takes. In fact, if the meat is so delicate - you simply leave the meat out on the bench top at room temperature. This can take up to a couple of hours to thaw out completely.

- Fourthly you pre-heat the oven and put in the meat. (Starting role). At this point you are sure that the meat is ready for cooking - your player is ready for starting role and is prepared to take up the "real heat" of the oven (or the "pressure" of the starting role).

Conclusion - to cook a proper roast chicken you need to follow these steps of preparation. New theory in roast is even more demanding - if you follow what Heston Blumenthal (owner of the award winning "The Fat Duck") is doing - he would slow roast the meat in extremely low heat for 24 hours. This ensures that the meat is really nice and tender and has the full flavor you're looking for.

Yeah let's designate Al or Paul our franchise player by giving them a 5 year deal instead of one of your young guys. Al and Paul have proven they are franchise changing talent throughout their careers.

That way we can be spending 65% of our payroll on our 3 big rotation for three years (during the overlap of Favors Kanter and Al deals).

Brilliant!

Well if we sign them at a reasonable rate (remember we're pitting them against each other for the best value), then it will be easy to simply trade them away once Kanter is ready to start and demand big minutes.

Have you cooked roast chicken before? Or roast Turkey or Roast pork?

- First you take the chicken out of the freezer. (You draft the player)

- Second you take out the plastic wrapping/bag. (Summer camp)

- Thirdly you thaw them out in the microwave - this is done at a very slow temperate as to not damage the texture/fibre of the meat. (You play these guys limited minutes to start of with). Another point to note here is, the more delicate the meat, the lower the heat and the longer the thawing process takes. In fact, if the meat is so delicate - you simply leave the meat out on the bench top at room temperature. This can take up to a couple of hours to thaw out completely.

- Fourthly you pre-heat the oven and put in the meat. (Starting role). At this point you are sure that the meat is ready for cooking - your player is ready for starting role and is prepared to take up the "real heat" of the oven (or the "pressure" of the starting role).

Conclusion - to cook a proper roast chicken you need to follow these steps of preparation. New theory in roast is even more demanding - if you follow what Heston Blumenthal (owner of the award winning "The Fat Duck") is doing - he would slow roast the meat in extremely low heat for 24 hours. This ensures that the meat is really nice and tender and has the full flavor you're looking for.
You need to put the pipe down, son.

Yes and no.

Lets say the Jazz believe Al is worth 15 and Paul 10. The Jazz offer Al 5 yrs and 65 and Paul 5 and 50 to see who bites.

Another team offers Al 17 and 4, a max deal for a total of 68.

Paul gets a 13 and 4 for 52 million.

Both are gone.

If the Jazz want to keep either, they will have to drastically overpay and they instantly lose all their flexibility and haven't gotten better or fixed any flaws.

This upcoming FA class is terrible. There is nothing to spend their "flexibility" on, unless its a bad contract (and Al maxed or Millsap at 12+ is a bad contract).

On the other hand, taking on a bad contract to get a "real" asset (one that actually plays) is the obvious thing to do. For example, taking Butler for Bledsoe, is an amazing move.

You get Bledsoe, a great young talent.

You get Butler, a great asset. Why? You keep yourself from overpaying for a mediocre FA this year and get cap room next year.

And you don't have to re-up Paul to a bad contract.

The problem is, the Millers just want to make the playoffs so they can profit more.

What this means is this:

Kanter isn't ready to take over a starting role yet. So the Jazz will have to sign either Paul or Al in the offseason, because fans like stoked will be angry if they don't. Both are bad contracts. Al is statistically the better player. So, we will have 5 more years of Al running this awful offense and terrible defense.

If you think you hated AK, wait until year 3 of 5 of Al making 17 million.

This is why their flexibility talk is all BS. By signing Al or Millsap this summer, they lose all "flexibility", put a cap on their success (I don't think Al or Paul can take a team past round 1), put us in a dire position if the 4-core pan out (whereas if you had Butler instead of Al or Paul you don't have that problem).

I'm very disappointed in the Jazz. I thought KOC was better than this.

All that being said, I'll continue to watch bits and pieces of games, like the last 1.5 years. The final test is this summer. If Paul or Al is back, I'm out. That will signal loud and clear that we are the new "Clippers". Not worried about excellence...only worried about slightly better than mediocre.

If you don't think Favors is already a league average PF I don't know what to say. I'd say at this point Millsap is a slightly better player when you factor in defense and stuff, but Favors within a year will be as good if not better.

Brilliant!

That is not how he meant it and you know it. Knock it off.