What's new

Official Utah/Minnesota/Philadelphia Pick Watch

Would anyone trade 16 + 2027 Lakers 1st top-4 protected to move up to 10?
If I can get Tay Henny and Wallace I’d consider it fo sho.

I am also cool seeing what player slides to us. Not sure Hawkins gets that far but I’d love to draft him… at 16 Bufkin or Keyonte should be there… both guys I’d consider too.

Me neither. That’s essentially what guys are arguing when they say we shouldn’t have traded Conley to Minnesota though.

If Conley himself is worth 4 more wins than Russell out of 24 games (I don’t think he is) then the best their pick could have ended up is tied for 10th with Dallas. Plus our pick would be worse than 9th. We likely end up in a play-in game if we kept Conley.

Lu Dort is bigger/longer and more physically imposing than Wallace. What Mike Conley does is pretty irrelevant to Cason Wallace because Wallace isn't that skilled. If he becomes that skilled in several years, then it becomes a conversation. But I don't think Cason Wallace is a top-10 prospect in this draft.
I generally think your takes are decent but this is beyond bad.

That’s essentially what guys are arguing when they say we shouldn’t have traded Conley to Minnesota though.

If Conley himself is worth 4 more wins than Russell out of 24 games (I don’t think he is) then the best their pick could have ended up is tied for 10th with Dallas. Plus our pick would be worse than 9th. We likely end up in a play-in game if we kept Conley.
He would have hurt our pick too. It’s really the Lakers that effed us by being dumb and wanting Russell over Conley.

Me neither. That’s essentially what guys are arguing when they say we shouldn’t have traded Conley to Minnesota though.

If we could get up to like 7 or 8 I might consider it, but I just don't think I could part with that Lakers pick to only move up to 10th.

That’s essentially what guys are arguing when they say we shouldn’t have traded Conley to Minnesota though.

To be clear, though, it can simultaneously true that:
-The Jazz saved the Timberwolves season
-The Jazz saved their own tank job
-The Jazz got the best asset in the trade
-The Jazz probably could've executed something before the season that would've been better

To be clear, though, it can simultaneously true that:
-The Jazz saved the Timberwolves season
-The Jazz saved their own tank job
-The Jazz got the best asset in the trade
-The Jazz probably could've executed something before the season that would've been better

Nobody is denying the last point. The problem with that is maybe the Lakers weren’t playing ball and ended up agreeing to doing something to save their own season after their terrible start.

What was the realistic best case scenario if we didn’t trade Conley? Minnesota’s pick ends up tied for 10th and our pick is 12th? Plus we don’t have the 2027 Lakers 1st.

He would have hurt our pick too. It’s really the Lakers that effed us by being dumb and wanting Russell over Conley.
The counter argument is that the Lakers are still in a position to change their minds on re-signing DLo and pivot back free agency (most likely Kyrie). Yes, I know that involves them gutting the team again, but a big chuck of cap is achievable if they want it.

The counter argument is that the Lakers are still in a position to change their minds on re-signing DLo and pivot back free agency (most likely Kyrie). Yes, I know that involves them gutting the team again, but a big chuck of cap is achievable if they want it.

Not really. They can’t really get that much space without gutting their entire roster. We are talking 28-30M max with letting Reaves go and everyone else go as well.

Nobody is denying the last point. The problem with that is maybe the Lakers weren’t playing ball and ended up agreeing to doing something to save their own season after their terrible start.

What was the realistic best case scenario if we didn’t trade Conley? Minnesota’s pick ends up tied for 10th and our pick is 12th? Plus we don’t have the 2027 Lakers 1st.
I don't know, I'm still hung up on the pre-season stare down between Ainge and Pelinka. I will never actually know, but there were some rumblings mentioned by @Tony Jones that lead me to believe that prior to sending Bojan to Detroit, they could've gotten the '27 pick outright with some package (but that Ainge was holding out for the entire bag/both picks).

I'm also still convinced that part of what happened with Bojan going to Detroit was Ainge either flipping out, sending a message to LA that he wasn't ****ing around, or some combination of both.