What's new

Official Utah/Minnesota/Philadelphia Pick Watch

Wolves can simplify their offense a bit more now. They have less mouths to feed. They can focus on what Ant and DLo do well and let Gobert operate around that instead of the dance they were trying to figure out with KAT.

I still really believe in the long term offensive fit of KAT/Gobert, but yeah the defensive might be a lost cause. I'm excited to see what Gobert and McDaniels can do defensively with one less negative defense around them.

McLaughlin
Ant
Prince
McDaniels
Gobert

That should be a pretty good defensive team that can play offensively.

****ing wild to me how people can blame all of Minnesota's woes on Gobert when they have key players standing around and pouting for entire possessions, who are not named Gobert.
Watch the video I posted here. Basically explains that it's not Goberts fault.

Other than leading the league in dunks and ORTG for a few years in a row. Opening it up allows them to get him in position for those dunks. We had a #1 offense for years with Rudy leading the league in ORTG so he isn't as useless as many would try to imply.

He is very effective in pick and roll. Problem is unless Edwards magically starts passing him the ball it isn’t going to change. This was the other day but I read they had like 125 pick and rolls ran between them and he passed it to Gobert 4 total times. Not kidding.

****ing wild to me how people can blame all of Minnesota's woes on Gobert when they have key players standing around and pouting for entire possessions, who are not named Gobert.

I was told they were good defenders and Gobert was going to make them better.

He is very effective in pick and roll. Problem is unless Edwards magically starts passing him the ball it isn’t going to change. This was the other day but I read they had like 125 pick and rolls ran between them and he passed it to Gobert 4 total times. Not kidding.
That is the problem, they did not build around Gobert the way they should have. The remaining players are borderline unplayable in this setting with their skill sets. And ANT's and KAT's attitude issues don't help much. This team should have, on paper, been pretty dominant, but when they don't work together as intended they are a hot mess. Happy for us and our pick, sad for Rudy, who deserved better.

I don’t think anyone thinks Gobert is the problem for all of this. People massively overrated Minnesota’s pieces and forget that they traded all of their depth and impact players from last year for him.

I was told they were good defenders and Gobert was going to make them better.
Just like Rudy couldn't cover every single Clipper no matter how hard we wished it and no matter how much Mitchell et al allowed their guy to blow by them again and again, Rudy can't cover for everyone who isn't giving a **** on defense. Right now Minnesota has a personnel and a coaching problem, as in their are not working together as a team at all. Until that gets corrected there is no way they will win anything. Rudy is the best individual defender on the planet, he isn't a god and isn't capable of defending 1 on 5. Until they come together as a team and others start putting forth some effort on D they will go nowhere in that regard. The team should have been, again on paper, dominant. But when the individuals don't buy into the team concept, well they go nowhere and they should probably get blown up, just like happened in Utah.

That is the problem, they did not build around Gobert the way they should have. The remaining players are borderline unplayable in this setting with their skill sets. And ANT's and KAT's attitude issues don't help much. This team should have, on paper, been pretty dominant, but when they don't work together as intended they are a hot mess. Happy for us and our pick, sad for Rudy, who deserved better.
Ant and Dlo are both ****** in the PnR this year. Russell was okay in the past but used to bounce pass and not lob bigs (iirc). Ant wants to go iso pull up... he isn't there mentally or skillwise yet. Rudy's offense is very dependent on shooting and good primary ball handlers... it can be awesome with those pieces.

Rudy or KAT will be traded in the next year and a half... Minny really jumped the gun with their all in move.

I don’t think anyone thinks Gobert is the problem for all of this. People massively overrated Minnesota’s pieces and forget that they traded all of their depth and impact players from last year for him.
I think I messed up with some assumptions... assumed Ant and Jaden would take a big step forward... they have both regressed or stagnated. I assumed that Rudy could take their terrible defenders and make them a top ten defense just like he did with our terrible defenders... he has not.

I figured the offense would be clunky but good enough....

Wrong... wrong.... wrong.... but never been more happy to be wrong!

I think I messed up with some assumptions... assumed Ant and Jaden would take a big step forward... they have both regressed or stagnated. I assumed that Rudy could take their terrible defenders and make them a top ten defense just like he did with our terrible defenders... he has not.

I figured the offense would be clunky but good enough....

Wrong... wrong.... wrong.... but never been more happy to be wrong!

I don’t even really remember you saying much of anything like that. If anything you pushed more of the anything can happen stance with me.

Even these takes aren’t that bad. The ones that really killed me were calling me stupid for not seeing how they were championship favorites and a guaranteed top-3 seed.

I don’t even really remember you saying much of anything like that. If anything you pushed more of the anything can happen stance with me.

Even these takes aren’t that bad. The ones that really killed me were calling me stupid for not seeing how they were championship favorites and a guaranteed top-3 seed.
I thought they would likely be very good but am also very much an anything can happen guy. Look at a team like Miami... life comes at you fast in the NBA. Its why you get unprotected picks while you can. Those picks were thrown around way too liberally this summer... I just didn't expect the bill to come due this fast.

I thought they would likely be very good but am also very much an anything can happen guy. Look at a team like Miami... life comes at you fast in the NBA. Its why you get unprotected picks while you can. Those picks were thrown around way too liberally this summer... I just didn't expect the bill to come due this fast.

The crazy part is it is happening in the NFL too. This will be the year that reminds people you don’t throw unprotected firsts around without being really sure. It happens in cycles. It happened after Ainge fleeced the Nets and then a few years went by and it’s happening again.

What was Minnesota’s urgency? They just won a play-in game. Edwards was 21 and KAT 26. What is the urgency and why did they think Gobert was that missing piece? Just weird all the way around.

The crazy part is it is happening in the NFL too. This will be the year that reminds people you don’t throw unprotected firsts around without being really sure. It happens in cycles. It happened after Ainge fleeced the Nets and then a few years went by and it’s happening again.

What was Minnesota’s urgency? They just won a play-in game. Edwards was 21 and KAT 26. What is the urgency and why did they think Gobert was that missing piece? Just weird all the way around.
IDK... Connely has done more to build the Jazz than Ainge ever could... and he was never on payroll.

I think it is very likely that Conley ends up assistant coach for the Jazz.
Was referring to Tim Connelly... with Denver he allowed us to trade for Don and Rudy... then he took over in Minny and gifted us a handful of rotation players and 4 first round picks.. I mean he may have gifted us Wemby... who knows?

Was referring to Tim Connelly... with Denver he allowed us to trade for Don and Rudy... then he took over in Minny and gifted us a handful of rotation players and 4 first round picks.. I mean he may have gifted us Wemby... who knows?
He may not be done, which is why we should be calling to see what he’d give us for Quin or Gay or our jersey ideas that didn’t make the cut.

He blocked Danny's number.
That’s why we have a big front office. Like if David Fizdale gives him a ring, he probably won’t remember he works for us. Hell, Fizdale himself may not even remember that he’s in our FO.