What's new

Okur 4th in post defense, Jefferon ranked 35th

sirslimjim

Okur 4th in post defense, Jefferson ranked 35th

Found this on Realgm

According to Synergy Sports -

4544201514c8c765f405z.jpg

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I don't see Boozer on that list. Shouldn't we be comparing Jefferson to Boozer not Okur. The best thing about Okur's defense is that he draws the other team's bigs away from the middle on the opposite side of the ball so they seem to have less energy on offense.

I believe the list only ranks guys that play the majority of their minutes at the center position. Having said that, boozer probably wouldn't appear on the Forward defense list either.

That list is awful because Okur sucks on defense and Serge Ibaka, Birdman, Biedrins, and Chris Kaman are all great post defenders. At least that's what I read on jazzfanz.

Okur's actually a decent man on man defender in the low post. What he sucks at is help defense and transition defense.

Remember, this is POST defense only. Keep in mind, as well, the Jazz defensive strategy to swarm the post, forcing opposing players to shoot Js (or dribble unimpeded to the rim).

Okur plays well against other big, slow centers. He did great on Yao when we beat Hou in that 7 game series. Against quicker more athletic, less traditional centers Okur has some issues. He's also not a great shotblocker though shotblocking, in and of itself, does not great defense make.

Interesting!
Pau Gasol is only 25th, and Jason Thompson didn't make the list.
Jermaine O'Neal 8th, Nene 9th. Wouldn't have expected that...

Utah's defensive strategy has always been to dig (go down and help on the dribble) regardless of the player. That doesn't always result in a kickout but it is tougher scoring in the post when you've got guards swiping down around your ankles. Also as prevsiously mentioned, Okur's a good individual post defender, just not a good help defender.

intangibles not accounted for

Protecting the paint, probably single most important defensive ability of a post player, is not accounted for in these stats. This is where Memo is at his weakest, which explains why he is ranked so highly.

Okur is a very good post defender. As mentioned he sucks at help defense, penetration defense, and most other aspects of defense. But as a post defender he's quite good.

Protecting the paint, probably single most important defensive ability of a post player, is not accounted for in these stats. This is where Memo is at his weakest, which explains why he is ranked so highly.

so this statistical formula, specifically created to evaluate post defense, includes math that rewards a player for not "protecting the paint"? that would seem to be at odds with the point of the whole thing... or maybe you're just a moran.

To be more specific, Memo is strong protecting the paint against big players trying to post him up. His weakness is against players in motion, i.e., DRIVING to the basket, as he is a below-average shot-blocker. Also his rotations for help defense are not that great.
I'd say Dwight Howard is far and away the best defensive Center in the NBA despite these stats. His transition defense is great, and I can't honestly criticize him much at all defensively. Now offensively it's a whole 'nother story...