What's new

Old Folks Going Back to School?

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So, I'm headed to college. I'm 35 and spent 5 years out of HS being a constantly stoned bum, then spent 6 years in the U.S. Navy, then spent 6 years working as an electronics technician for Intel/Micron. Now I'm headed back to school. It's odd, but I loved the first two years I spent in the Navy which was all training. I never went through a program where I was not top of my class and carrying an overall score of 95% or better.

Anyway, I'm nervous. I'm going to be sitting in classes with 19 year olds. I'm an awkward type shy guy in the first place. I'm going to feel silly and I just know right off the bat at least a few teachers are going to go around the room and have all of us introduce ourselves. I think the hardest part is going to be getting over my anxiety.

I'm taking advantage of the "post 9-11 GI Bill" which pays 100% of in-state tuition at public schools and up to the highest rate that any in-state public school charges if you go to a private school, as well as the BAH (basic allowance for housing) for the zip code the school is in ($1122/month in my case) and a book stipend. So with a part-time job at McDonalds and my GI Bill I'll be able to stay in my house while I get a degree. It's pretty ****ing awesome. I want a carrer in writing even though my military training and work at IM Flash Technologies has prepared me for an easy transition to becoming an engineer. My passion late in high school was writing. I took the "accuplacer" test at SLCC and got perfect scores (120 is a perfect score, right?) in English and sentence structure and will start with English 2010. Yet I barely made the cut for 1010 math.

I re-read my OP and wondered what the point of this thread was. Anyway, anyone else go back to school later in life? Got any advice? Any funny experiences?

I've got nothing to add, but just wanted to say awesome and best of luck in everything.

I've got nothing to add, but just wanted to say awesome and best of luck in everything.

Thanks!

It feels weird, but I have no interest in trying to go back into the work I was doing. I walked out because I hated it. I doubt a change in scenery would change that.

https://www.slcc.edu/masterplan/enrollment-projections/enrollment-data/student-demographics.html

In 2008 the average age of students enrolled at SLCC was 26.5

And that's pre-financial mess. I would be surprised if it's not 28-29 now. That's pretty much the age where nobody really cares about age anymore except maybe for dating purposes. I don't think you'll get much flak for that as most people there will be just trying to better themselves too. You'll be good, man. You're going to go all patent lawyer on us or something, huh? I can sense it.

Last edited:
My Dad went back to college in his 50s. There is nothing wrong with taking an opportunity to further your education regardless of age.

Congrats to you! I think it's awesome when people decide to say "Screw it. I'm making a life changing change." If going to work sucks, why do it? That would make life a living hell. If there comes a point in time when I hate what I'm doing, I hope I have the guts to do what you're doing.
I'm glad you're able to take advantage of all those benefits. That probably made the decision a little easier to make.

I'm a little worried that you're now never going to have the time to host more poker, though.

35 old? nah... to some of us it's young!!!

one, you might be surprised at the number of "mature" students in your classes, and you're enough older that you'll fit in better than someone in their mid-20's, but not old enough that you'll be considered an old fart.

two, good for you! It's great that you're doing this and that you've found a passion to try to pursue.

My only suggestion is to treat your fellow students, whatever their ages, with respect - don't forget you'll probably learn as much from them as from your instructors.

I re-read my OP and wondered what the point of this thread was. Anyway, anyone else go back to school later in life? Got any advice? Any funny experiences?

I'm in school now. But while I go to the largest university in the state, it's more of a commuter college and it's not odd to see people my age (hey, which is 35) and older, especially in the Business school.

No real advice other than to make sure you don't get behind in things. That's what doomed me in my 20s. Now I get a syllabus and pretty much write things down in a few planners so I know when stuff is due.

I'm in school now. But while I go to the largest university in the state, it's more of a commuter college and it's not odd to see people my age (hey, which is 35) and older, especially in the Business school.

No real advice other than to make sure you don't get behind in things. That's what doomed me in my 20s. Now I get a syllabus and pretty much write things down in a few planners so I know when stuff is due.

I think I was oversold on my school's (community college) online program. I'm on the wait-list for a few classes but otherwise it looks like all my classes this semester will be in-class. I have to take at least one in-class course per semester to get my full BAH, which I need to get.

Good thread. Nice to see how supportive us numbnuts can be about all things that are life .. except when it comes to Jazz players from foreign countries. Our foreign fans are kinda ****ed up .. but funny.

In my experience with older people in college is that they take forever to accomplish anything, they try realllllyyyyy hard trying to get everything perfect, and they generally do very well. But being in a group with them sucks because they take everything so seriously, they wont just do the work and get an A. They have to make everything really time consuming and complicated.

I'm 37 and still taking classes. But it kinds of comes with the territory as a teacher.

My mother went back to get her masters while I was an undergrad.....at the same ****ing college!

Luckily I never ran into her at Keggers.

My mother went back to get her masters while I was an undergrad.....at the same ****ing college!

Luckily I never ran into her at Keggers.

That could have made for some potentially very entertaining reading on JazzFanz, right about now, though.

You guys are really making me feel better about this! Thanks.