What's new

Oni needs to find consistent minutes

NAOS

One of our weak spots is wing defense. Oni needs to be much further along by the time the playoffs arrive.

How does he get consistent minutes?

i hope they limit Joe’s minutes during the stretch run—so there’s some minutes for Oni.

For me, this situation has a triggering resemblance to last year, when it would have helped for Morgan to get more game time.

More Oni, pls.

I would love to see what Oni could do with more minutes but not sure where they come from. I think his role gets bigger in the coming years if we can keep him.

One of our weak spots is wing defense. Oni needs to be much further along by the time the playoffs arrive.

How does he get consistent minutes?

i hope they limit Joe’s minutes during the stretch run—so there’s some minutes for Oni.

For me, this situation has a triggering resemblance to last year, when it would have helped for Morgan to get more game time.

More Oni, pls.

He’s averaging 13 MPG the last 3 games. He is an amazing offensive rebounder and has constant great hustle plays. He knows his role and is great at it. Hope to see the minutes stay the same going forward.

I think some minutes will naturally come available as they have for the past couple weeks. If we happen to have unprecedented health, then I’d love to see us reduce the minutes of other guys and he could be the beneficiary of that.

Realistically though, it’s an 8-9 man rotation in the playoffs. And unless something goes wrong, Oni won’t be cracking that. I Like what we’re seeing though. I’m an Oni fan.

I wish the refs didn't give him such a bad whistle. A 2nd round 2nd year guy never gets a favorable whistle but it seems like the refs really screw him over.
And I wish he was a better 3 point shooter.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I wish the refs didn't give him such a bad whistle. A 2nd round 2nd year guy never gets a favorable whistle but it seems like the refs really screw him over.
And I wish he was a better 3 point shooter.

After posting this i looked at his stats. 5.1 fouls per 36 and shooting percentages of 32% from the field and 35% from three (better than I thought).

He can earn more minutes if he makes some shots and stays out of foul trouble. I just hope that Quinn gets confidence in him so he will use him in situational minutes during the season and even the playoffs. Matchups in the playoffs are important so he may match up better than our other wings.

It'll be harder to get through the lineups as it is within the current group without at least one of the main guys in foul trouble or not playing at all (Rudy and Favors not included)

However, if we can keep winning and hold some margin on the run for the 1st seed, i think we may see guys getting nights off looking for fresher legs come playoff time

One thing that i'd be the more interested to see about Oni this season is if he's better equipped to handle quicker guards than Royce. That would be something that could earn him more minutes already this year (especially as our current main guy for this role is used to have some muscle issues throughout the season and playoffs), while things like improvements at his shot, handle, attacking closeouts, passing game, etc, should take more offseasons to come.

I'd like to see Morgan get some minutes here and there too. They could take a few minutes here and there from Ingles, Favors, Conley, not just to get the young guys time but to keep the vets fresh for the playoffs. We're winning by 20 every night, take advantage of the luxury.

I've been a bit disappointed in Oni. I thought he would be more confident dribble driving and making decisions in the offense.

His off-ball energy and athleticism on loose balls has been fun though.

If we're up to compare him to Royce, he came right away from college to the Jazz, while Royce played some in Europe

I think some minutes will naturally come available as they have for the past couple weeks. If we happen to have unprecedented health, then I’d love to see us reduce the minutes of other guys and he could be the beneficiary of that.

Realistically though, it’s an 8-9 man rotation in the playoffs. And unless something goes wrong, Oni won’t be cracking that. I Like what we’re seeing though. I’m an Oni fan.
Yeah he just needs enough time to not be completely lost when called upon due to fouls or injury.

He hustles, especially on rebounds. There was two or three he tapped out to our other guys on Wednesday we'd have never gotten without him. Seems to always be near the ball when it comes off the rim.