What's new

Open Scrimmage October 5 at 4 p.m. MT!

I just finished watching as much of the scrimmage as was on the replay and I had the following observations:

1. Kanter isn't hesitating any more on offense. Also his post game is kinda into choose-your-own-adventure. He has counter ready for everything.

2. Favors didn't look that bad- Kanter was occupying the low post so Favors stayed out of his way. He did have a very nice face-up and drive with a cross court pass for a wide open corner 3. I thought he looked fine.

3. Burks was mostly just messing around. He did blow by almost everyone at will. He just got stuck against the help D and tried wild layups.

4. Hayward was pressing a little.

5. Richard Jefferson helped make a bunch of positive plays happen.

6. Burke looks like he is doing most of the hard work to score and make plays. He is just botching the finishes. He looks fast in the open court and decent at getting around screens. I am not concerned about Burke yet.

7. Gobert looks like he belongs. For a lot of big guys the NBA game looks to fast for them. Gobert caught the ball and made plays right now. He has his rough edges but I think he plays.

8. Ian Clark athletically belonged. His moves were quick and he stayed in front on D for the most part. He had nice play where he curled off a screen and got a step on Burks. He then stopped, let Burks go by and layed it in from about 10 feet. On the plays where he could use a screen he got open consistently.

9. Evans looked about the same- which isn't bad. I just worry about rebounding with him.

10. Biedrens ...... I don't know what to say.

11. Holiday is a very quick, lean and long wing defender. Burks and Hayward didn't really get must going against him. On the other hand he looks out of control when he dribbles. He did hit one 3 pointer at the beginning. In the D league last year he was a very good 3 point shooter.

12. Machado played well on offense. I want to see more of him on D. I think that is why he got cut in Houston.

13. McGuire was interesting. He is kinda a point forward. He made a bunch of nice little passes on the move and off the dribble. He didn't take a 3 and took a lot of 20 foot jumpers. He looked like he should be a good defender but he doesn't have Holiday's great quickness.

But all in all it was just a scrimmage.

10. Biedrins....a God among boys.

Probably meant to say this.

guys, just prepare yourself for the idea that burke is not the future

no one will wait for a guy for 4-5 years till he will figure it out when you have a core already ready to shine

and it will not be lillard 2.0 this season

most likely next season lindsay will bring a starting pg and burke will be traded the next 2 seasons

I am one of those who is willing to give Burke a lot more time. Remember how bad Hayward looked early on?

But if what you say comes to fruition, not good for Ty right? Lindsey never seems to miss an opportunity to say how Ty got them to select Burke.

keep the posts coming, u idiots. Gives me so much bumping material.

Rewatching.

Favors has a bad *** Maloneesque play early on where he ball fakes real low to freeze Evans then shoots the easy J. Watch that and tell me working with Malone didn't do anything, it's uncanny.

Wow, you're right. It's kind of weird since he had almost the same subtle movements. Have to think Malone is helping somewhat.

Also for those a bit scared that Kanter will be Al 2.0 don't be..,

Kanter's fakes get him to the line, something Al's push shot didn't do!!

I saw one huge improvement that I haven't seen mentioned much. Kanter's post game is vastly quicker and smoother. No hesitation, no 5 pump fakes followed by a wild shot, doesn't bring the ball down as often after a rebound. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages ~18 ppg.

Burke 20min Lucas III 20min Burks 8min
Burks 20Min Rush 20min Hayward 8min
Hayward 28min Jefferson 20min
Favors 30min Marvin 10min Evans 8min
Kanter 30min Gobert 15min Biedrins 3min

I just don't see how Burke wouldn't be starting. Is lucas going to start?! Cause that's just crazy, he's only started twice in his nba career.

Now if anything I say start trey for the preseason and the start of the season. If things start going bad after a few weeks maybe bring him of the bench so he can get some confidence or something.

predicting 15-16ppg off Kanter. He'll probably have a season pretty similar to Al's 3rd with Boston (16.0/11.0/1.5)

And I know that I already basically said this along with pretty much everyone else, but Kanter is looking really good. I mean, it was a scrimmage against garbage, but he at least made it look easier than that sounds. Jazz should probably just spot him up so everyone else maybe gets better shots though.

Thrilled to hear Kanter is looking good. Seems like Favors and Hayward backed off a little to let others shine.

Thrilled to hear Kanter is looking good. Seems like Favors and Hayward backed off a little to let others shine.
Maybe it's just that those two guys aren't particularly good iso scorers. I was happy to see Favors playing so well off ball, and making good reads/passes when he got the ball. Maybe that's what he's being asked to do.

Maybe it's just that those two guys aren't particularly good iso scorers. I was happy to see Favors playing so well off ball, and making good reads/passes when he got the ball. Maybe that's what he's being asked to do.

That too. I am not that worried about either of them. Or Burke either. Of course it'll be rough. He will figure it out.