What's new

Opponent field goal percentage at the rim (Rudy Gobert best in the league)

trailing

I limited it to defenders that defend at least 5 attempts per game around the rim

Rudy Gobert is limiting his opponents to 37% at the rim which is nothing short of amazing. Derrick Favors also have decent numbers, well above average at 46.4 % at the rim. In contrast Enes Kanter allowed his opponents to score on 58 % of their attempts AT the rim which is just horrible.

I am feeling so happy that we have these two to anchor our defense for the future, this could probably be the most dominant defensive duo in the league next year. Possibly already is but with Rudy not being able to play 30 minutes and with the tank going strong we won't see their full potential until maybe next year.

W9e9cQm.png

Here is the bottom.. As you probably notice Kanter is last in the league among players that has guarded at least 5 FGA around the rim. Joined by elite defenders like Ryan Anderson, Jordan Hill, Monroe, KeVin Love, Dieng, Millsap... And Enes Kanter + the two games in OKC.

Q1ZSljy.png

Also, ought to be a way to show how the other team's shot selection is affected, say average shot distance with and w/o Rudy in there. Or shots in the paint differential. But I do not know how to find that data.

Also, ought to be a way to show how the other team's shot selection is affected, say average shot distance with and w/o Rudy in there. Or shots in the paint differential. But I do not know how to find that data.

I'll try to find that but for now you can look at this. Our offense is playing worse with him on the floor as expected, he is still unpolished there but his defense more than makes up for his offensive shortcomings.

the eFG% for opponents with him on the floor is 48 % versus 53 % when is on the bench. At 48 % our defense is almost 2 % better than league average.

vwRhrl5.png

Yes. This was like that for quite some time, I recall opening a thread like this for the Jazz bigmen. And with AD out, I nominate Rudy Gobert for Defensive Player of the Year legitimately.

Yeah, and the great thing about Gobert is that he is probably pissed about the 37% of shots that DO get through.

Yeah, and the great thing about Gobert is that he is probably pissed about the 37% of shots that DO get through.

Haha. Twice last night he screamed and punched the air for failing to block a shot.

Not probably, he actually said that a few weeks before. He said "I get too angry at myself when I fail to make the opponent miss a field goal inside".

Kanter might be the worst but hes 2nd best post player in the league so its a net positive when he's on the floor. Favors defense is boosted by playing with Gobert. Watch Kanters numbers go way up playing with Ibaka. Plus now they've built a proper team around him he will be the best offensive big in the game.

Kanter might be the worst but hes 2nd best post player in the league so its a net positive when he's on the floor. Favors defense is boosted by playing with Gobert. Watch Kanters numbers go way up playing with Ibaka. Plus now they've built a proper team around him he will be the best offensive big in the game.

meh.ro5776-455x203.jpg

4.38 points saved is extremely significant for a team whose average scoring margin on the season is -1.9.

The best part is the "points saved" stat doesn't even begin to effectively illustrate Gobert's impact, nor does it take into account how many shot attempts in the paint don't even occur at all simply because teams don't want to attack Rudy.

Rudy makes other teams change their offensive schemes. He's unreal.

Last edited:

Ibaka won't really hide Kanter's deficiency on the pick and roll, especially against teams that are proficient at it (not Charlotte and Denver.) Remember LMA going of for 16 in the first quarter against Kanter? You can isolate the matchup so you can go straight at him and he can't defer to Ibaka. I hope the Jazz do this with Favors over and over again when we play OKC.

Ibaka won't really hide Kanter's deficiency on the pick and roll, especially against teams that are proficient at it (not Charlotte and Denver.) Remember LMA going of for 16 in the first quarter against Kanter? You can isolate the matchup so you can go straight at him and he can't defer to Ibaka. I hope the Jazz do this with Favors over and over again when we play OKC.

I hope Booker, Favors, and Gobert all get a chance to dunk on him and block his shot. I wouldn't care if we lost by 30 if that happened. Worth it.

Oh yeah @ Zyzz

Please gif/vine Rudy's first monster block on Kanter. thanks in advance

Except LMA had only 6 or 8 out of those 16 when defended by Kanter. But don't let facts get in the way of good ol' Kanter bashing