Green
Davis

Williams-Goss
Oni
Kidd
Niang
Howard
Bradley

1) Of note-- our FO gave a three year contract to William Howard (ahead of Brantley, and JWF), Williams-Goss, and Miye Oni.
2) Later in the preseason-- Howard gets waived, and sent to the SLC Stars.
3) Kidd is given the full contract.
4) Kidd is waived later in the season, and we sign Jawun Morgan.
5) Green is waived later in the season, and the Jazz sign Rayjon Tucker instead.

--

So, to recap
Howard --> waived (now on Rockets)
Kidd --> waived
Williams Goss --> disappointing
Miye Oni --> disappointing
Brantley --> 2-Way contract
JWF --> 2-Way contract
Tucker --> signed
Morgan --> signed
I understand that Howard and Kidd were overseas players, as was Williams-Goss. But to me, at no point did I ever really see anything from Oni that looked more impressive than what Brantley has shown. Their G-League production continues to bear this out. All of this is unfortunate because unfortunately, this means that the Utah Jazz have not been able to bring Brantley up to play games, due to his 2-Way Status. It's annoying.

I would say that we have had much more of a dearth of production at the PF spot than the SG-SF position this season. I figure that the team is waiting until year 2 to give Brantley a proper contract, but to be frank I do think he could produce well for us right now.

I think they’ve always had long-term plans for Brantley. But the word is that he has a lot of learning to do when it comes to playing within a system. If true, the Stars was going to be the best place for him this year.

JWF is a similar story. The dude can score, but can he make plays for others, play off the ball, be effective as minimal role player? All of these were legit questions coming out of college. The Stars has been the best place for him to get lots of reps on these things.

Oni looked like he could come in and play a specific, minimal role. As of today, he probably can. He got the contract because of this.

The FO didn’t misjudge anything. I wish we could see some Brantley because of our glaring needs at the position he plays, but they aren’t holding him back for ***** and giggles.

Low 2nd round picks are longshots to pan out. I guess I was trying to make the point in the other thread but our 2nd round picks are doing as well as Eric Griffin, Nate Wolters, Ty Wallace, Bolomboy, Marcus Paige, Naz and Cavanaugh did with the Stars and they all ded to the Jazz. I have hopes for all three still as each has shown glimpses.

It's okay, they missed on the pg too.

I think most GMs would have made that move tbh. I hope it works out, but conley has been a top PG in this league for a while, despite not making the all star game. He's not flashy but he has been in battles in the playoffs and knows the game inside and out.

The contracts might not necessarily be reflective of who they (the Jazz) think has the most talent - it might merely be a reflection of who is getting offers from other teams (overseas or otherwise) and the Jazz want to keep them to run their system. It might be all about developing Jarrell Brantley and Miye Oni - I mean seriously who saw Georges Niang turning into a legit player before Dennis Lindsey did? No one. Who thought moving Jerebko was a mistake? Everyone. Who thought that signing Joe Ingles was a move to help Dante Exum feel more at home, and not a legit NBA player move? Everyone.

Who saw Royce O'Neale becoming the 2nd best defensive player on this team, and regular part of the rotation, and one of our best outside shooters? Not I.

And who saw Tony Bradley evolving into a legit 2nd option at the center spot? I mean wow. I'd hold my horses a little bit on judging how well the Jazz have done with their 2nd round picks. These things take time to cook, and it's a crockpot, not a barbeque grill.

Howard was guaranteed like 50k lol it was essentially a camp guarantee wasn't it? Kidd was also only guaranteed 250k. It's good to see ownership giving the go-ahead to waive guys and guarantee new ones. Not pinching pennies or anything like that.

I wouldn't mind the front office inviting Collinsworth, Pryor, Haas, Mike Scott, Bluiett, Willie Reed, George King and Jock Landale to Summer League this year with a legitimate shot to make the team next fall.

How can guys be disappointing if they havent played yet?

Oni is starting to play better in the G-League as of late. I think he's going to be a better pro than Brantley personally. Last game the Stars hardly used any big men and Oni got 11 rebounds.

The most surprising thing to me is that they signed Tucker and are playing him right away. He doesnt even really do anything to stand-out on the court either. It's kind of like watching rookie year Exum minus the expectations. His defense hasn't been anything special. I'm not sure why he's getting minutes to meld with the Jazz and a guy like Oni isnt (who seems to be a more versatile defender).

The contracts might not necessarily be reflective of who they (the Jazz) think has the most talent - it might merely be a reflection of who is getting offers from other teams (overseas or otherwise) and the Jazz want to keep them to run their system. It might be all about developing Jarrell Brantley and Miye Oni - I mean seriously who saw Georges Niang turning into a legit player before Dennis Lindsey did? No one. Who thought moving Jerebko was a mistake? Everyone. Who thought that signing Joe Ingles was a move to help Dante Exum feel more at home, and not a legit NBA player move? Everyone.

Who saw Royce O'Neale becoming the 2nd best defensive player on this team, and regular part of the rotation, and one of our best outside shooters? Not I.

And who saw Tony Bradley evolving into a legit 2nd option at the center spot? I mean wow. I'd hold my horses a little bit on judging how well the Jazz have done with their 2nd round picks. These things take time to cook, and it's a crockpot, not a barbeque grill.

Nothing about Tony Bradley this year has been legit. It's been like, OK at times and bordering on a sinking ship at others.

I think most GMs would have made that move tbh. I hope it works out, but conley has been a top PG in this league for a while, despite not making the all star game. He's not flashy but he has been in battles in the playoffs and knows the game inside and out.
since early last year we were the only team in legit conversation for conley. if teams like orlando or detroit were interested, they could've jumped in at any point and outbid us easily, but they never did. all teams simply knew the risk involved with getting a 32 yr old pg who's on a bad contract. except for DL, i guess.

DL was simply burning away all of his 2nd round picks up until last year's draft. start with 2014 when we had the 35th pick in a very very deep draft. dinwiddie, jerami grant, dwight powell, jordan mcrae, Clarkson and Jokic were all still available, then DL sold it to memphis for cash.

Nothing about Tony Bradley this year has been legit. It's been like, OK at times and bordering on a sinking ship at others.

12 and 14 point games when you are playing 13-15 mpg is pretty good, so are his 5-8 point games with 5-7 boards. He's NO Gobert, and yes given the opportunity I'd rather have Alex Len, Cody Zeller and especially Aron Baynes as the backup, but in the meantime, Bradley has been a pleasant surprise. He's been giving us something (outplayed Ed Davis) when we were expecting basically nothing from him.

As a recap-- this was our roster during our first presason NBA game this season

Conley
Mitchell
Bogdanovich
O'Neale
Gobert

Exum
Mudiay
Ingles
Green
Davis

Williams-Goss
Oni
Kidd
Niang
Howard
Bradley

1) Of note-- our FO gave a three year contract to William Howard (ahead of Brantley, and JWF), Williams-Goss, and Miye Oni.
2) Later in the preseason-- Howard gets waived, and sent to the SLC Stars.
3) Kidd is given the full contract.
4) Kidd is waived later in the season, and we sign Jawun Morgan.
5) Green is waived later in the season, and the Jazz sign Rayjon Tucker instead.

--

So, to recap
Howard --> waived (now on Rockets)
Kidd --> waived
Williams Goss --> disappointing
Miye Oni --> disappointing
Brantley --> 2-Way contract
JWF --> 2-Way contract
Tucker --> signed
Morgan --> signed
I understand that Howard and Kidd were overseas players, as was Williams-Goss. But to me, at no point did I ever really see anything from Oni that looked more impressive than what Brantley has shown. Their G-League production continues to bear this out. All of this is unfortunate because unfortunately, this means that the Utah Jazz have not been able to bring Brantley up to play games, due to his 2-Way Status. It's annoying.

I would say that we have had much more of a dearth of production at the PF spot than the SG-SF position this season. I figure that the team is waiting until year 2 to give Brantley a proper contract, but to be frank I do think he could produce well for us right now.

Brantley being on a two-way contract means that the Jazz can bring him up to play with the regular team, and they've done this. He's only played a few spot minutes though. They're doing the right thing developing him in the G-league. Otherwise, he wouldn't get minutes.

William Howard is now on a two-way contract with the Rockets. I don't think he's played an actual game with their NBA team yet.

Juwan Morgan has played better and is more ready to play at the pro level than Brantley is. That's why he's ahead of Brantley in the rotation.

Oni played well during SL and earned his contract, essentially the same contract that the team gave to Juwan Morgan. He's been 'on assignment' with the Stars in order to get regular minutes to develop.

So what's happened is that since the season started Juwan Morgan and Rayjon Tucker have earned guaranteed contracts with the Jazz. Meanwhile, the Jazz still have the other rookies under team control. The Jazz can convert Brantley to a guaranteed contract, but to do it they'd have to waive someone to make room on the roster.

The FO didn’t misjudge anything. I wish we could see some Brantley because of our glaring needs at the position he plays, but they aren’t holding him back for ***** and giggles.

They're holding him back because he's shooting around 32% from 3pt and turning the ball over a lot. He'd hurt the team if he doesn't get that worked out. Another thing that worries me is that he doesn't seem to play hard all the time, and picks his spots.

The most surprising thing to me is that they signed Tucker and are playing him right away. He doesnt even really do anything to stand-out on the court either. It's kind of like watching rookie year Exum minus the expectations. His defense hasn't been anything special. I'm not sure why he's getting minutes to meld with the Jazz and a guy like Oni isnt (who seems to be a more versatile defender).

From what I heard there was quite a bidding war for this guy, it's possible they promised him a shot right off the bat. Considering where the Jazz bench was a month ago, it might not have been the worst idea in the world.

As for Oni, he's shooting 38/31% - you better be a Bruce ****ing Bowen level wing defender if you expect NBA minutes with those numbers.

Last edited: