What's new

PARITY!?!?!

If GS were to lose this year, the fallout would be massive. Spurs are done soon. Cleveland is strong, but LBJ has to succumb to age eventually. GS without Durant and that depth is beatable. If GS loses with Durant next year, I think he leaves in 2017. And the pressure next year will be incredible.

We need GS to fail and age to do its work. With the big 3 questioned, we have a legit shot in a couple years.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

After processing the early day fireworks yesterday I'm all in on the optimism.

You are never going to have parity in the NBA. People like Lebron, KD, and Steph are rare human beings. They are who win the championships. Its just the nature of basketball. One player in basketball can impact a game more than most team sports. I dont think it will ever change.

There is no conspiracy to see here.

You are never going to have parity in the NBA. People like Lebron, KD, and Steph are rare human beings. They are who win the championships. Its just the nature of basketball. One player in basketball can impact a game more than most team sports. I dont think it will ever change.

If they were paid at fair market value it would by necessity change. How can you think not? If there were a $90 million hard cap and the Cavs had to pay Lebron $80 million and only had $10 million to split between all their other players, you don't think other teams would have a great shot at them?

If they were paid at fair market value it would by necessity change. How can you think not? If there were a $90 million hard cap and the Cavs had to pay Lebron $80 million and only had $10 million to split between all their other players, you don't think other teams would have a great shot at them?

I don't see the owners ever getting a hard cap passed the players union.

I don't see the owners ever getting a hard cap passed the players union.

I don't know...

680444572_tp.jpg

Bet they could sneak this bad boy passed 'em.

You are right. Lebron would fetch a large chuck of the cap, and they wouldnt be able to pay other big stars. That would mean the top talent would be spread out more. But by how much? There still isnt a Lebron for every team. There is still only a handful of players with real elite talent. Meaning, the team with Lebron, KD, Steph, etc.. would still be the favorite to win. Lebron and a bunch of average or below average players is still better than a team like the Jazz with talent apread out. See Lebrons original Cavs.

Also, what would happen is, some of these middle tier players would still be overpaid and use up big chucnks of cap. They wouldnt get Lebron money, but still overpaid. The competitive bidding for middle tier players would still be there. Again, only so many Lebrons to go around. So I dont think you would find that teams could stack middle tier talent and trump the talent of Lebron. It would be closer, yes, but by in large, the teams with one of the top players is still most likely to win it all. IMO.

Honestly. . . **** parity. I'd much rather see Gobert and Exum live up to potential and have the team become the top defense in the league. When you're winning, people want to play for you. Jazz need to own their identity and go balls to the walls to get the best 8-9 players that FIT that identity.

Want to be a defensive team? Be the best damned defense on the league by a mile and crush your opponents will to compete. Be a team that can physically matchup with anyone and SHUT them down on any given night. Since that appears to be the Jazz strategy, I'm hoping they really go all out to build that team to a defensive juggernaut that stifles even the vaunted offense of the Warriors.

It's kind of like bitching about being a part of the 99%. My personal opinion is that I'm going to scratch and claw and fight my way into the 1% instead of complaining about it. Might take awhile, but I'm getting there. Jazz need to be in the 1%.

The thing about hard cap and no max contracts, what happens when 3 super-stars decide to all take huge paycuts to play together?

This.
Especially the part about "One player in basketball can impact a game more than most team sports."

The thing about hard cap and no max contracts, what happens when 3 super-stars decide to all take huge paycuts to play together?

Then the rest of the league is just as screwed as they currently are now. But at least it adds another huge obstacle to the formation of superteams.

Then the rest of the league is just as screwed as they currently are now. But at least it adds another huge obstacle to the formation of superteams.
Yup

So, MLS uses a unique system which is part of the reason I brought this up.

MLS gives players what they call DESIGNATED STATUS. Basically they are All Stars or are expected to play like All Stars. So, the league could determine which player deserve all star status based on a vote by the coaches. Top 30 players or so get that position. Then each team can only have a max of 2 of these players at any given moment. The MLS allows 3 players per team with designated player status.

Top 5 lottery picks could get a similar status, but I think you would over complicate things quickly that way.

The minute that you allow players to determine their destiny alone, you encourage kibitzing. So, if there are 30 coaches voting for all stars then there would be no way to have more than 2 top players in the league. You could extend it to 40 players if you want or reduce it to 15 players... any number of things. That's a technique that would force teams into more parity.

Another technique is a hard cap, but that might be difficult to negotiate as others have said.

Maybe a bone for the player's union would be to offer larger salaries for the NBADL so that we can keep local talent LOCAL. Allow teams to compete for some of their best players with contracts of up to $500,000 for a minor league team. It would keep guys with the dream from going to Europe and a team like the Jazz could develop Marcus Paige, Bolomboy, etc with purpose. I think that would be better for the league because the contract for Solomon Hill is outrageous. His one contract is worth the value of the entire DLeague team of the jazz (meaning team, management salaries, player salaries, and travel expenses). And Solomon Hill averaged less than most D-Leaguers would in the league.