What's new

PARITY!?!?!

The Jazz Wonderbra

MLS has had 8 champions in a decade if memory serves me right. RSL, denver, galaxy 2 times, portland, and sporting kc all since 2009.

The C'rapids won in 2012 i think. They were the worst team last year, and they are the best team so far this year. The parity in the league means there are no decade long "rebuilding" processes filled with corky lottery luck, etc.

The NFL is good at parity as well. Plenty of Champs in the last decade.

The NBA is a league that typically has 3 - 4 champions in a decade. Many teams have never won or have no more than 1 or 2 championships whereas the Celtics and LA have had dozens each.

It is starting to smell more like an oligarchy of favorites. It often smells like tampering with plenty of conspiracy theories.

How does the NBA change its makeup to create more parity? What techniques do other leagues use that would promote parity?

Parrot.jpg

Hard cap.
Franchise tag.
Eliminate max salaries in the bargaining process.

I like Naos ideas, but the sarcastic part of me wants to say:

If the Millennial generation ball players all want their trophy the NBA should just make it easier for everyone to get one. How about multiple championships each season? Then every player who "deserves" one can get one. One a month ought to do it.

Or the NBA could stop manipulating the match-ups and outcomes so that players living in OKC or SLC feel like they have a fair chance.

On a slightly more serious note: How about splitting the season? With players playing on their regular team until February, then have a double elimination tournament involving all the teams that wraps up in March. Then form 4 all star teams to play 7 game series for a championship that ends May.

The NBA is a league that typically has 3 - 4 champions in a decade. Many teams have never won or have no more than 1 or 2 championships whereas the Celtics and LA have had dozens each.

I mean this decade we have had 7 championship teams (Heat, Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Mavericks, Warriors, Cavs). I guess you could try to get 10 championship teams in 10 years?

I don't think the issue is these super teams. Look how long these "super teams" lasted anyways. KD and Curry are going to have to get paid, and the Warriors already have lost rim protection. While the Heat built their "super team" the Warriors hit on all their draft picks and built their own. You could say the TWolves are doing the same. It isn't completely hopeless, if you win draft night (and honestly, luck out), you can contend.

The biggest issue I think the NBA needs to handle is the "tanking" strategy. I wouldn't mind a franchise tag either.

I think it's politically incorrect to call players winners or losers.
We need to picket the NBA so that everyone gets a trophy.

Hard cap.
Franchise tag.
Eliminate max salaries in the bargaining process.

Any steps along that path would be helpful. I.e., if you don't eliminate max salaries completely, at least substantially raise the amount. If you don't have a hard cap, at least make the penalties for going over the luxury tax really stiff (which they did a fair amount in the last CBA). If you don't have a franchise tag, maybe something sort of like that could be done, such as maybe giving the current team a salary tax discount for resigning their own players. Etc.

Man... if there was a season to suck it was this one coming. So much effin talent in this draft.
For the hundredth time..

If GS were to lose this year, the fallout would be massive. Spurs are done soon. Cleveland is strong, but LBJ has to succumb to age eventually. GS without Durant and that depth is beatable. If GS loses with Durant next year, I think he leaves in 2017. And the pressure next year will be incredible.

We need GS to fail and age to do its work. With the big 3 questioned, we have a legit shot in a couple years.

Sent from my VS980 4G using JazzFanz mobile app

I like Naos ideas, but the sarcastic part of me wants to say:

If the Millennial generation ball players all want their trophy the NBA should just make it easier for everyone to get one. How about multiple championships each season? Then every player who "deserves" one can get one. One a month ought to do it.

Or the NBA could stop manipulating the match-ups and outcomes so that players living in OKC or SLC feel like they have a fair chance.

On a slightly more serious note: How about splitting the season? With players playing on their regular team until February, then have a double elimination tournament involving all the teams that wraps up in March. Then form 4 all star teams to play 7 game series for a championship that ends May.

A tournament would be pretty exciting to watch.