What's new

Phoenix Suns watch

That's fine too. I just want an easier opponent in round 1.
Round 2 I expect a dogfight no matter who it is. It's the western conference playoffs. Teams that play on the second will be tough no matter what.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
If they snuck into 5th I think Denver might be able to beat them if James and Davis aren't like 80-85% anyway.

I agree with your sentiment. Even if we got easier 1st and 2nd round opponents but then lost to one of the better teams in the Western Conference Finals it will be kind of hollow. Say you get Memphis and Dallas and beat them but lose 4-1 to the Clips... is that good?

We just need a warm up series before we get to the heavy hitters... hopefully we are fully healthy then and can do something impressive.

Listening to the Warriors feed. What homers. Never a word about the missed calls for our game. Sure Steph is the greatest shooter of all time but still I think he is overrated. For instance, I'd take Chris Paul as my point guard over him if I had to choose a team. While Steph can dominate a game, he can only do so if he's hot. He doesn't have the all-around skills of an all-time great player. Of course, a HOF player but not he's not on the same level of a Michael, Magic, Larry, LeBron. I actually think Giannis is the best player in the league today. I saw a top-25 in the league article on the Ringer -- Donovan was 22, Rudy 18, Giannis 7, Jokic 1.

This is a pretty hilarious list put together by the ringer... Randle at 21... okay... Tatum at 17... I wonder why a Boston Celtics player would be ranked so high even though his team has woefully underperformed?

Not sure what the criteria were but if its for regular season and just winning then Giannis and Rudy should be much higher. If its for playoffs and winning a championship then not sure why Julius Randle is on here at all....

Zion has put up numbers but his team isn't top 10 in the western conference... He's really top 13? If you replace Rudy with Zion are the Jazz #1 in the conference? List is kinda all over the place.

Lakers announced James and Davis as both doubtful for tonight’s game. They won’t want to move up to the 6th seed to play the Clippers. They would much rather play us or the Suns.

Lakers announced James and Davis as both doubtful for tonight’s game. They won’t want to move up to the 6th seed to play the Clippers. They would much rather play us or the Suns.
Where are you seeing that they're doubtul? I only see that they're questionable.

As for the notion that they don't want to move up to 6th, that's nonsense. They have publicly talked about wanting to avoid the play-in. AD has even played hurt the last couple games. If AD and LeBron are both doubtful tonight, it's because they're both injured and the Lakers probably feel like they can win without them.

Well, they're playing Houston, so...

Then again, they don't want to get bumped from the play-in.

Then again, the league would probably never allow that.

I'm not afraid, at all, of a depleted Warriors team if the Jazz are given a week's rest, get their starting guards back, and home court. If the Laker's are sorry enough to lose a play-in game, I'm not sure I would be terrified of them either.

Hell, if we beat Portland, at home, like we should, and can shut this regular season down early (for Rudy's sake) I am not sure I am fearing any first or second round matchup we may face.
I hope you’re right. However, the Warriors aren’t looking too depleted at the moment. Steph has arguably been the best player in basketball the last month or two, Draymond looks reinvigorated, Poole kills us every time, and Kerr has managed to turn Wiggins into a legit NBA player.

And if I’m the Lakers I am trying to play Utah or Phoenix in round 1 instead of the Clippers.

I love this team and am super excited for the position they have put themselves in this year, but have no illusions that either of these teams would be an easy out.

We won't play the Lakers of they finish 6th. We will play the 8 seed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Well I know we play the 8 seed initially, but mistakenly assumed 6 put them on our side of the bracket from the concern expressed. In other words, I didn't think it out. The sixth seed for the Lakers does make them more dangerous as they don't have to play any play-in games with the added risk of injury involved. That said, we still wouldn't have to see them until the Western Conference Finals as the 3/6 winner plays against the 2/7or9 winner. So they're still on the other side of the bracket assuming we continue to hold serve in our season record battle with Phoenix.

I am not sure. I guess it depends on the LeBron and AD's health situation. They would sure prefer a week rest instead of participating in the play in and extra risk of injury which goes with it.

Lakers are NOT the team to beat. Neither AD or LeBron is anywhere near properly healthy and they’re running out of time.
Say what you will, they are the defending champs. And they do have the best player on the planet...and quite possibly the second best as well. With an impressive collection of complimentary pieces as well. This team is well conceived, well coached and well put together. Lebron and AD are being monitored the same way as Conley and Mitchell but I expect them both to be close to 100% for the playoffs. I expect Shroder back from Covid protocols but I actually think Kuzma and Caruso are a bit of an x factor for them. But the fact remains that nobody outside of Brooklyn creates more match-up problems and Brooklyn doesn't have the same proven experience and chemistry. Plus the fact that the Lakers are built for the playoffs where they can exploit match-ups in half court sets and get star treatment at the foul line.

I hope you’re right. However, the Warriors aren’t looking too depleted at the moment. Steph has arguably been the best player in basketball the last month or two, Draymond looks reinvigorated, Poole kills us every time, and Kerr has managed to turn Wiggins into a legit NBA player.

And if I’m the Lakers I am trying to play Utah or Phoenix in round 1 instead of the Clippers.

I love this team and am super excited for the position they have put themselves in this year, but have no illusions that either of these teams would be an easy out.
To play the Jazz, as an eight seed, the Lakers would need to expose themselves to a one game playoff (after losing to the Warriors.) Get an in game injury? They are done. Morant goes off? They are going home and ridiculed forever. None of that is preferable to matching up with the Clippers after a full week of rest. They are going to face the Clips next round anyway, if they get the 7 seed. They aren't going to get healthier

If the Lakers are truly afraid of the Clippers, they are not going to repeat anyway.

To play the Jazz, as an eight seed, the Lakers would need to expose themselves to a one game playoff (after losing to the Warriors.) Get an in game injury? They are done. Morant goes off? They are going home and ridiculed forever. None of that is preferable to matching up with the Clippers after a full week of rest. They are going to face the Clips next round anyway, if they get the 7 seed. They aren't going to get healthier

If the Lakers are truly afraid of the Clippers, they are not going to repeat anyway.
I mean if the Lakers are in a one game elimination game you think the league let’s them lose?

That game would be officiated by Lebrons mom, Rich Paul, and Jeanie Buss.

In the playoffs I want nothing to do with Lebron or Curry, and anyone who does hasn’t been paying much attention to basketball the last decade. Unfortunately there is a good chance we will face one of them in the first round.

I understand the Warriors are without Klay and Lebron is not 100%, but the Warriors and Lebron have accounted for seven of the last nine nba champions and basically 99% of nba finals appearances.
No offense but you did fail to include Kevin Durant in the Warriors dynasty equation. Yeah and that guy Klay isn't bad either. They're truly a shadow of their former self. Yes they did beat us on Monday, but Ingles and Niang are better suited as back ups. When healthy, the Warriors really create no glaring mismatches for us. They play the same style. Curry can shoot the rock, no doubt but the announcers Monday were commenting on the defensive problems that O'Neale creates for him. He can become a volume shooter and look pretty awful sometimes.

I mean if the Lakers are in a one game elimination game you think the league let’s them lose?

That game would be officiated by Lebrons mom, Rich Paul, and Jeanie Buss.
Ultimately, there is much more opportunity for refereeing to affect a series than a single game. If the league bulldozed a Memphis that hard, there would be repercussions. You just never want to be in a winner takes all game in the NBA if you are the favorite. That's part of the reason they extended the first round to 7 games, is to ensure that the better team won.

Say what you will, they are the defending champs. And they do have the best player on the planet...and quite possibly the second best as well. With an impressive collection of complimentary pieces as well. This team is well conceived, well coached and well put together. Lebron and AD are being monitored the same way as Conley and Mitchell but I expect them both to be close to 100% for the playoffs. I expect Shroder back from Covid protocols but I actually think Kuzma and Caruso are a bit of an x factor for them. But the fact remains that nobody outside of Brooklyn creates more match-up problems and Brooklyn doesn't have the same proven experience and chemistry. Plus the fact that the Lakers are built for the playoffs where they can exploit match-ups in half court sets and get star treatment at the foul line.

Lol. AD the second best player in the NBA.

Ultimately, there is much more opportunity for refereeing to affect a series than a single game. If the league bulldozed a Memphis that hard, there would be repercussions. You just never want to be in a winner takes all game in the NBA if you are the favorite. That's part of the reason they extended the first round to 7 games, is to ensure that the better team won.
I disagree. In one game an early key foul on an opposing teams player goes a long way... if you do that in 3 or 4 games out of 7 it looks even more sketchy. Do it in one game and its a missed call or just them calling it tight tonight. Way easier to screw a team in one game than a whole series. No one will care... they have done it before with higher stakes. It is easy to do in basketball because the rules on contact are so open to interpretation. They could call moving screens and fouls on drives almost every possession if they wanted to.

You also have rotating referees... not all will be "company men". There is a reason Dick Bavetta was assigned to Game 6... he was the biggest company man in the league.

I agree with your larger point... the Lakers don't want to be in the play in if they can help it.

I disagree. In one game an early key foul on an opposing teams player goes a long way... if you do that in 3 or 4 games out of 7 it looks even more sketchy. Do it in one game and its a missed call or just them calling it tight tonight. Way easier to screw a team in one game than a whole series. No one will care... they have done it before with higher stakes. It is easy to do in basketball because the rules on contact are so open to interpretation. They could call moving screens and fouls on drives almost every possession if they wanted to.

You also have rotating referees... not all will be "company men". There is a reason Dick Bavetta was assigned to Game 6... he was the biggest company man in the league.

I agree with your larger point... the Lakers don't want to be in the play in if they can help it.
I agree that the Bevetta thing sucked, but the bigger difference maker was allowing Scotty Pippen to play Zone throughout the entire series. People remember the Bevetta screw job and the Game 6 Lakers-Kings. Nobody remembers that the NBA allowed Scotty Pippen to stay in illegal defense throughout the entire series, which had a bigger overall effect. I remember the announcers saying "Well, you can't call that every play! That's just smart basketball!" The Jazz offense was predicated on the other team being forced to follow the rules. Which is why we scored like 50 in one of the games.

So if I understand how this play-in things works correctly, we want all the teams to stay as they are right now. Then we want the Warriors to beat the Lakers and take #7. Then we want the Lakers to lose to whomever makes it of Spurs and Grizzlies, so the Jazz then play what is really a lottery team in Rd 1.

So if I understand how this play-in things works correctly, we want all the teams to stay as they are right now. Then we want the Warriors to beat the Lakers and take #7. Then we want the Lakers to lose to whomever makes it of Spurs and Grizzlies, so the Jazz then play what is really a lottery team in Rd 1.
Well, yes, but that’s like taking your whole 401k out and putting it on red. It would be awesome if it’s red! Not so awesome if it’s not...

Just plugging away invested in a mutual fund is the equivalent of hoping the Lakers grab 6th.

Well, yes, but that’s like taking your whole 401k out and putting it on red. It would be awesome if it’s red! Not so awesome if it’s not...

Just plugging away invested in a mutual fund is the equivalent of hoping the Lakers grab 6th.

Neither LeBron nor Davis are fully healthy. I wouldn't bet on both being 100% by the time the play-in starts.