What's new

Play Forrest Over Oni

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
I just can't with Oni anymore. He's a theoretical floor spacer, but the dude is a total record scratch on offense and is terrified on the court.

Forrest cant shoot worth a damn and opposing teams know it, resulting in incredibly bad spacing, but he at least makes plays with the ball. He won't foul unnecessarily and he can act as another guy who can bring the ball up (we had Niang do it at times because of the lack of Conley and boy, it felt like a gamble).

At this point all Oni is doing out there is getting the occasional offensive rebound.

I just can't with Oni anymore. He's a theoretical floor spacer, but the dude is a total record scratch on offense and is terrified on the court.

Forrest cant shoot worth a damn and opposing teams know it, resulting in incredibly bad spacing, but he at least makes plays with the ball. He won't foul unnecessarily and he can act as another guy who can bring the ball up (we had Niang do it at times because of the lack of Conley and boy, it felt like a gamble).

At this point all Oni is doing out there is getting the occasional offensive rebound.
Will any of the draft picks from that year pan out ? Maybe some hope for Brantley?

Agreed. Forrest is just as good on defense and will likely foul less. Both will miss open jumpers but if you give a guy that can dribble and drive some space they can still hurt you.

Sadly I don't think Oni is an NBA player... maybe he just needs a bunch of reps in lower stakes games. I really really really wish we would have looked for one more competent wing/guard player instead of going for a next year addition in Matt Thomas.

Yeah, Fish said it earlier, Oni played scared and cost us a possession when it mattered. I completely agree. If the moment is too big for him then it's too big for him. This is not the time to experiment and definitely not the time to run the same failed experiment again.

Agree . Forrest is more pesky on defense than Oni, he can't shoot but at least is able to drive and score in the paint or dish the assist.

Agreed. Forrest is just as good on defense and will likely foul less. Both will miss open jumpers but if you give a guy that can dribble and drive some space they can still hurt you.

Sadly I don't think Oni is an NBA player... maybe he just needs a bunch of reps in lower stakes games. I really really really wish we would have looked for one more competent wing/guard player instead of going for a next year addition in Matt Thomas.
You may not think he's an NBA player, but his Cameo cost is among the most elite.

You may not think he's an NBA player, but his Cameo cost is among the most elite.
Makes it worse tbh... you have to pay your dues and come up through the cameo ranks like Georges Niang.

BTW I got a sweet cameo for my wife's birthday and she tried to return the favor but Niang denied the request. Thinks he's too good for me now I guess.

None of the above please.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah, postseason is the time to run you tried true and tested players. Not the time to "see what happens if we do...this random thing????" I mean, unless you're some outclassed bottom seed that is shooting for the moon on a hope and a prayer.

That's not the Jazz. Not at all.

Oni was a late second round pick so if he doesn't pan out, he'll basically entail what >90% of late second round picks do.

Dude was a foul machine last night.

Makes it worse tbh... you have to pay your dues and come up through the cameo ranks like Georges Niang.

BTW I got a sweet cameo for my wife's birthday and she tried to return the favor but Niang denied the request. Thinks he's too good for me now I guess.
Hah. I had booked Ersan for a playoff hype thread. I even paid like $30 to expedite it for 24 hours. Instructions were basically that we were doing a hype thread and if he could send some good vibes... pretty straight forward. He ended up messaging me back saying something like "ahh, man, can you be more specific?" but then for me to message him back it cost $5. He never responded and the request expired.

Should be noted that we have the team option for Oni next year and at $1.7M, probably a fair bet he's back.

Oni stunk last night and he knows it. Perhaps Conley pulls a miracle cure, but I doubt it. I doubt Quin will swap in Forrest.

I like Oni but he shouldn't be in the playoff rotation. As someone else said the moment is too big for him. That's fine. Niang was the same way last year. Quin either needs to tighten the rotation or play someone like Brantley/Forrest because Oni is a net negative out there and it shows.

I like Oni but he shouldn't be in the playoff rotation. As someone else said the moment is too big for him. That's fine. Niang was the same way last year. Quin either needs to tighten the rotation or play someone like Brantley/Forrest because Oni is a net negative out there and it shows.
Niang was actually good last year. 8 pts 2 rebs. in 16 minutes.. on 50/40 shooting splits.

I think Oni just isn't an NBA player. If we had put some more time into Brantley he might be ready... we didn't. We need more ball handling I think... Forrest is likely the best option.