Playoff Rotations

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by fishonjazz, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    I think a lot is going to depend on the matchups and injuries. I think even Niang could get minutes, though probably least likely, and if either Favors or Rudy gets injured then Epke will get minutes. I think Quin trusts all 11 of those guys. At least that's how I would look at it as the coach.

2. Stoked

Stoked Well-Known Member Contributor 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    Jazz will cut it to 8, granting full health.

Starting 5 plus Crowder, Korver and O’Neale.

3. Tragic66

Tragic66 Active Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Joe plays a lot of point for us now.

4. carolinajazz

carolinajazz Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I think Allan has earned some playing time with his outside shooting and basketball fundamentals!

5. Gameface

Gameface All-Jazzfanz First Team! Contributor 2018 Award Winner

May 25, 2010
    Allen has earned some playing time... next season. Not during these playoffs. The last thing I want to find out during the playoffs is that Allen is going through some growing pains, magnified by the pressure of NBA playoffs.

fishonjazz and Jingled like this.
  6. ImmaculateConfection

ImmaculateConfection Member

Apr 27, 2018
    It's not completely unfathomable that, perhaps given injuries, Allen is called upon to play a similar role to what Burks provided us last playoffs. Unlikely but possible. Of all our bench players (plus with Exum out) Allen appears the most capable of creating his own shot, but that's not saying an awful lot.

One other thought is where Exum is most missed is surely against the Rockets if we meet them again. Would have been a good option to throw on Harden.

7. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    If we are fully healthy, I imagine we will be down to a rotation of 8, to include NATO, KK, and possibly Niang or Udoh depending on needs, foul trouble, etc.

8. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'm pretty sure KK will be working the sidelines, per usual, through all 1st-round games that aren't on ESPN or TNT. I think the national TV crew takes over after that, but I'm not sure. Let's not count our chickens.

LogGrad98 likes this.
  9. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Unfortunately, our health is going to make things a lot tougher. We really miss Favors the most as we need his size and defense.

This offseason is going to be very interesting for us. Tons of cap room and I wouldn't be shocked to see us let Rubio and Favors potentially go.

10. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    My guess is 9. The dudes you mentioned and neto.
    Imo the team plays to well with neto on the court to leave him out.

He leads the entire NBA in net rating (not just the jazz like I thought). I get that people will just say, "but sample size and playing against scrubs and blah blah blah". Yes that argument has some relevance and takes away from that stat a bit but it still has meaning. If simply playing less minutes and playing more against backups meant that you would have the top net rating in the league then the list of players at the top of that stat would all be scrubs.

However that isn't the case.

Screenshot_20190407-134128~2.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

11. Lakers_Slapper

Lakers_Slapper Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Where did you get that NET rating from? I can't find that anywhere, sample size or not.

12. Lakers_Slapper

Lakers_Slapper Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Where the Jazz are short at the PG position. I think it would be wise for Snyder to pull Rubio to the bench 5 minutes into the game. Sloan did this with Stockton for 20 years because we were always insufficient at the PG position. During that time I would run Mitchell at the PG and give Korver a chance to operate early. When Rubio comes back in, it would be against the 2nd string and he could help lead the rest of the bench and give him more minutes in the final stretch.

13. RuralJazzFan88

RuralJazzFan88 New Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Rubio (36) | Mitchell (12) | Neto (DNP unless injuries)
    Mitchell (24) | Korver (16) | O'Neale (0-8) | Allen (DNP unless injuries)
    Ingles (34) | Sefolosha (14) | O'Neale (0-8)
    Favors (20) | Crowder (28) | Niang (DNP unless injuries)
    Gobert (36) | Favors (12) | Udoh (DNP unless injuries)

14. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    I think it was on the utah jazz facebook page but i cant remember for sure.

Neto also led the jazz in net rating last year too.
    For whatever reason the jazz play thier best when neto in on the court.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

15. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    Now that we're playing Houston I think Rubio's minutes will come down and Royce's will go up. We're going to need Royce to guard Harden. It's just a shame Exum isn't alive, he was our best defender on Harden.

16. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Royce will definitely need minutes in this series. Possibly Thabo as well. Other than Ingles those are probably the only two guys we have who can guard Harden reasonably well. Donovan could as well but we need to do our best to hide him defensively so that he has as much energy as he can possibly have on offense. He is going to have to have a huge series for us to have any kind of a chance to win.

jazzETX likes this.
  17. SCS

SCS Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I also want to see Neto get some minutes.

18. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    I'm hoping this will be remembered as The Series Of Rolls Royce

SCS likes this.
  19. fishonjazz

Nov 4, 2010
    The problem with Royce playing a lot to guard harden is that the rockets can hide hardens bad defense by putting him on Royce. We rarely use Royce in pick n rolls and Royce isn't much of a threat to score at all.

We might be better off with a worse defender in the game to guard harden who we can use on the offensive end to put harden in pick n rolls and punish his bad defense/get him tired.

At least a guy like korver would make harden run all over the place and fight through screens to guard him. I'm not sure Royce can really do much to make harden work defensively.

jazzETX likes this.
  20. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I wouldnt be shocked if Allen plays.

Houston switches everything, so Korver could have a rough series. Allsn brings an ability to create a shot against a mismatch.

Kind of like how the Jazz ended up breaking out Burks last year in the Houston series.

jazzETX and Zombie like this.