What's new

Playoff Rotations

I think a lot is going to depend on the matchups and injuries. I think even Niang could get minutes, though probably least likely, and if either Favors or Rudy gets injured then Epke will get minutes. I think Quin trusts all 11 of those guys. At least that's how I would look at it as the coach.

Jazz will cut it to 8, granting full health.

Starting 5 plus Crowder, Korver and O’Neale.

I think Allan has earned some playing time with his outside shooting and basketball fundamentals!
Allen has earned some playing time... next season. Not during these playoffs. The last thing I want to find out during the playoffs is that Allen is going through some growing pains, magnified by the pressure of NBA playoffs.

It's not completely unfathomable that, perhaps given injuries, Allen is called upon to play a similar role to what Burks provided us last playoffs. Unlikely but possible. Of all our bench players (plus with Exum out) Allen appears the most capable of creating his own shot, but that's not saying an awful lot.

One other thought is where Exum is most missed is surely against the Rockets if we meet them again. Would have been a good option to throw on Harden.

If we are fully healthy, I imagine we will be down to a rotation of 8, to include NATO, KK, and possibly Niang or Udoh depending on needs, foul trouble, etc.

If we are fully healthy, I imagine we will be down to a rotation of 8, to include NATO, KK, and possibly Niang or Udoh depending on needs, foul trouble, etc.
I'm pretty sure KK will be working the sidelines, per usual, through all 1st-round games that aren't on ESPN or TNT. I think the national TV crew takes over after that, but I'm not sure. Let's not count our chickens.

Unfortunately, our health is going to make things a lot tougher. We really miss Favors the most as we need his size and defense.

This offseason is going to be very interesting for us. Tons of cap room and I wouldn't be shocked to see us let Rubio and Favors potentially go.

Jazz will cut it to 8, granting full health.

Starting 5 plus Crowder, Korver and O’Neale.
My guess is 9. The dudes you mentioned and neto.
Imo the team plays to well with neto on the court to leave him out.

He leads the entire NBA in net rating (not just the jazz like I thought). I get that people will just say, "but sample size and playing against scrubs and blah blah blah". Yes that argument has some relevance and takes away from that stat a bit but it still has meaning. If simply playing less minutes and playing more against backups meant that you would have the top net rating in the league then the list of players at the top of that stat would all be scrubs.

However that isn't the case.

Screenshot_20190407-134128~2.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

My guess is 9. The dudes you mentioned and neto.
Imo the team plays to well with neto on the court to leave him out.

He leads the entire NBA in net rating (not just the jazz like I thought). I get that people will just say, "but sample size and playing against scrubs and blah blah blah". Yes that argument has some relevance and takes away from that stat a bit but it still has meaning. If simply playing less minutes and playing more against backups meant that you would have the top net rating in the league then the list of players at the top of that stat would all be scrubs.

However that isn't the case.

View attachment 7013

Where did you get that NET rating from? I can't find that anywhere, sample size or not.

I always hear that teams tighten up the rotations (and give heavier minutes to their heavier hitters) during the playoffs.
With the playoffs around the corner what is everyones thoughts on what they think the rotations should or will look like?
Im assuming Korver, favors, Rubio, and jae will all be healthy come playoff time. (Hoping at least)

Whats the typical man rotation in playoffs? 9?
So that basically means a starter and back up at each position except 1.
Rubio/Neto
Spida/Korver?
Ingles/Royce?
Favors/Jae
Gobert/Favors

Or does neto not get in the rotation and we just use Donovan to back up Rubio?
What do the minutes look like?
Does this all depend too much on matchups or do you think Quin already has his rotation mostly determined at this point in the season and matchups wont make too much difference?
Maybe discuss the rotation based off a matchup against Portland as that is who we are most likely to draw and in a game that is going down to the wire. For matchup sake here is the likely rotation for Portland. (I don't follow them close enough to know this info so im mostly going off box scores, minutes, and positions)
Lillard, seth curry
mccollum (he has been out but should be ready for playoffs), Rodney hood
Harkless, evan turner.
Aminu, Collins
Kanter, leonard.

With that in mind im thinking Quin does something like:
Rubio 35 minutes, neto 10 minutes, and 3 minutes with no point guard (Joe or spida running things)
Spida 37 minutes, Korver 11 minutes
Jingles 29 minutes, Royce 19 minutes
Favors 17 minutes, Jae 31 minutes
Gobert 38 minutes, favors 10 minutes
Maybe a bit less minutes for Rubio but I think the others would be about right.
What I would like to see is a few minutes less for gobert (maybe 35 or 36) and a few more for favors (closer to 30) and a couple less for jingles and a couple more for Royce.

Of course how guys play will effect it somewhat but I think Thabo, niang, grayson, udoh, (and of course Bradley, naz, and Cavanaugh) wouldn't see the court ideally.

I think we can get away with staying big at the 4 and 5 more as I think their stretchy bigs are not particularly quick so favors can guard them outside and we can get away with going small at the pg and sg rotations more since they play smaller quicker guys there too. I think this works in our advantage and we should be able to beat them.

Discuss (if ya want)

Where the Jazz are short at the PG position. I think it would be wise for Snyder to pull Rubio to the bench 5 minutes into the game. Sloan did this with Stockton for 20 years because we were always insufficient at the PG position. During that time I would run Mitchell at the PG and give Korver a chance to operate early. When Rubio comes back in, it would be against the 2nd string and he could help lead the rest of the bench and give him more minutes in the final stretch.

Rubio (36) | Mitchell (12) | Neto (DNP unless injuries)
Mitchell (24) | Korver (16) | O'Neale (0-8) | Allen (DNP unless injuries)
Ingles (34) | Sefolosha (14) | O'Neale (0-8)
Favors (20) | Crowder (28) | Niang (DNP unless injuries)
Gobert (36) | Favors (12) | Udoh (DNP unless injuries)

Where did you get that NET rating from? I can't find that anywhere, sample size or not.

I think it was on the utah jazz facebook page but i cant remember for sure.

Neto also led the jazz in net rating last year too.
For whatever reason the jazz play thier best when neto in on the court.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Now that we're playing Houston I think Rubio's minutes will come down and Royce's will go up. We're going to need Royce to guard Harden. It's just a shame Exum isn't alive, he was our best defender on Harden.

Royce will definitely need minutes in this series. Possibly Thabo as well. Other than Ingles those are probably the only two guys we have who can guard Harden reasonably well. Donovan could as well but we need to do our best to hide him defensively so that he has as much energy as he can possibly have on offense. He is going to have to have a huge series for us to have any kind of a chance to win.

I'm hoping this will be remembered as The Series Of Rolls Royce

Reactions: SCS
The problem with Royce playing a lot to guard harden is that the rockets can hide hardens bad defense by putting him on Royce. We rarely use Royce in pick n rolls and Royce isn't much of a threat to score at all.

We might be better off with a worse defender in the game to guard harden who we can use on the offensive end to put harden in pick n rolls and punish his bad defense/get him tired.

At least a guy like korver would make harden run all over the place and fight through screens to guard him. I'm not sure Royce can really do much to make harden work defensively.

I wouldnt be shocked if Allen plays.

Houston switches everything, so Korver could have a rough series. Allsn brings an ability to create a shot against a mismatch.

Kind of like how the Jazz ended up breaking out Burks last year in the Houston series.