What's new

Please read this! SLC Dunk- Black Lives Matter

oneye

2018 Award Winner
https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/6/11/21288168/black-lives-matter-utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-utah-jazz

To anyone who avoids social media or twitter, some of the comments left on IG and Facebook post the Jazz did of “Black Lives Matter” were quite embarrassing, and Donovan commented back on a few of them. We have to do better as a fanbase and at talking to those around us about these issues. I’m sure those comments hurt Donovan, and we need to do better at making sure we extinguish that kind of ignorance from our communities and fanbase.

Last edited:
https://www.slcdunk.com/2020/6/11/21288168/black-lives-matter-utah-jazz-donovan-mitchell-utah-jazz

To anyone who avoids social media or twitter, some of the comments left on IG and Facebook post the Jazz did of “Black Lives Matter” were quite embarrassing, and Donovan commented back on a few of them. We have to do better as a fanbase and at talking to those around us about these issues. I’m sure those comments hurt Donovan, and we need to do better at making sure we extinguish that kind of ignorance from our communities and fanbase.
Can you post some of the comments?

Using the sort of language and name calling that the author of that article does hurts his agenda a lot more than it helps. Disagreement and debate used to be okay. They still should be. The idea that any comment that questions BLM or the methods of protest currently being employed is racist is manipulative and wrong. The police are not perfect. BLM is not perfect. The protests are not perfect. Hopefully we will eventually arrive in a better place.

The comments that offended the author are included in his article. Apparently they are racist because they don't agree 100% with BLM. Someone apparently decided that is an organization that only racists question.
Considering Donovan immediately changed his profile and background pic out of a Jazz uniform on twitter and IG and deleted an IG post of him celebrating with the crowd a couple weeks ago after reading/replying to some comments, I’d guess that’s exactly how Donovan feels too. Listen to the message, and stop commenting on something many of us will never understand or experience in regards to race.

Last edited:
Using the sort of language and name calling that the author of that article does hurts his agenda a lot more than it helps. Disagreement and debate used to be okay. They still should be. The idea that any comment that questions BLM or the methods of protest currently being employed is racist is manipulative and wrong. The police are not perfect. BLM is not perfect. The protests are not perfect. Hopefully we will eventually arrive in a better place.
It’s exactly how they come across.

Cancel culture sucks.

It is ironic that some say that they cannot scrutinize BLM.

Then they get upset when others scrutinize them for expressing their anti BLM views.

Karma is a bitch.

Great. Now jazz fans are advertising that we are racist, Lol every fan base has its idiots. And this idiot talks as if every last one of us would’ve had the same run in with Westbrook

Great. Now jazz fans are advertising that we are racist, Lol every fan base has its idiots. And this idiot talks as if every last one of us would’ve had the same run in with Westbrook
Go read the comment section. And I agree that it’s just some vocal idiots, but Donovan did comment back on a couple and then promptly changed his profile pic out of a Utah uniform on both social media’s, and yes he did it because of those comments.....it’s not great. People need to understand saying “black lives matter” isn’t necessarily meant as an endorsement of the organization. It’s a statement that black lives matter.

Call me what you want #All lives matter
If someone said something like “LDS lives matter” after one had been murdered on a mission or something, idk if the response would be “all lives matter”. Just don’t say it, it’s focused on minimizing the pain for racial equality and standing against the racism people experience in our country that we need to improve.

Call me what you want #All lives matter
I think the point is all lives don’t matter till all lives matter, and Black people want to be afforded the same opportunities as we do. While yes... all lives matter the satement is false till we do what we preach. A cop kneeled on a mans neck till he died while completely restrained in cuffs and not being a threat to anyone and that cop murdered him for no good reason, and at the very most that cop would’ve been fired or paid leave or something till they were forced to do more. All lives didn’t matter in that instant blacks using the statement BLM is a message to everyone that unless we put an end to these injustices then the statement all lives matter is a false hood. IMO of course. Please tell me if I’m off my rocker.

I won't call you anything but .......
View attachment 9454

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think this is partly because of the way that BLM as an organization is presented. It only seems to pop up when it's white on black issues, never when it's black on black. The appearance is that they are opportunistic race baiters causing division.

I would love for the BLM organization to actually go out and do positive outreach in communities but their agenda seems more predicated on division than inclusion/unity.