What's new

Point Guard Musical Chairs

The playoff numbers are ugly... the issue with running it back with Conley is the budget gets real thin to add a defender or two.

Part of me is right there on the run it back train. We had the best offense post JC trade... our bench was the biggest issue... we had some really good 5 man lineups so if you solve the bench issues are we gold? Can we solve the issues with limited monetary resources?

We need one more super solid piece and like one young guy to pop.... so long as no one falls off a cliff.
You can find defenders on the cheap. They are usually highly undervalued.

And I was a Bledsoe guy last year, but another year of TERRIBLE playoff basketball and I just can't. He's getting older and he isnt the type of PG who will age that well.

We don't need to target any PG over the age of 25.

We need to believe in Don, bring in alternative ball handlers that don't have to be PG's (guys like Ingles), and find some young PG who can get some minutes behind Don.

Hill - looked good for a while, injury prone, bust trade
Rubio - looked good in spots, couldn't shoot, didn't keep
Conley - never fit, overpaid for him, regret having him at the cost

Bledsoe, Hill again, Paul, etc would all be the same outcome. Please go re-watch games 1 and 2 against Denver. We didn't even need Conley. We maybe needed a PG defender but I would argue that we could have used a SG/SF/PF defender.

GO GET YOUNG GUYS DL

Pretty sure this is less about targeting Bledsoe as much as it is a way out of Conley's salary.

In any case, literally every team ever is looking for good players under 25.

I don't feel like this is true on established 3 and D type of guys. Maybe on under the radar guys but those are hard to find.
I said defenders, not 3&D. The Jazz had the #1 shooting team in the NBA. They can afford to take a step back in that department by not playing Niang and inserting a guy like DJJ.

Obviously you hope a dude like that develops a shot, but they are cheaper for a reason. I'm thinking dudes in the mold of Torrey Craig as well.

We need to believe in Don, bring in alternative ball handlers that don't have to be PG's (guys like Ingles), and find some young PG who can get some minutes behind Don.

Hill - looked good for a while, injury prone, bust trade
Rubio - looked good in spots, couldn't shoot, didn't keep
Conley - never fit, overpaid for him, regret having him at the cost

Bledsoe, Hill again, Paul, etc would all be the same outcome. Please go re-watch games 1 and 2 against Denver. We didn't even need Conley. We maybe needed a PG defender but I would argue that we could have used a SG/SF/PF defender.

GO GET YOUNG GUYS DL
The Jazz don't need young players. Age is nearly irrelevant to the Jazz currently. They just need guys who can fill defensive roles and play. Yes, potential is nice, but it's far from the most important thing for the Jazz.

If they want to take a chance on a higher "upside" guy in the draft then go for it, but that's not what this free agency is going to be about.

I said defenders, not 3&D. The Jazz had the #1 shooting team in the NBA. They can afford to take a step back in that department by not playing Niang and inserting a guy like DJJ.

Obviously you hope a dude like that develops a shot, but they are cheaper for a reason. I'm thinking dudes in the mold of Torrey Craig as well.

I agree its a need... I think the dudes mentioned get around 4-5M... likely more for DJJ because he's young. I'm thinking of the Aminu types that get $10m a season and can end up not getting PT in the playoffs because the shot is so bad and they are so limited. I think perimeter defense and shooting get premiums and aren't as easy to find tbh.

Shaq Harrison is my guy in that tier that I think could actually be cheap.

Its not impossible to get the wing defenders but its going to require use of our limited exceptions.

By the way, I'm still totally confounded the Bucks didn't keep Brogdon. The **** were they thinking. Good job saving $20 million per year trading an all-star so you could spend $30 million on Bledsoe, George Hill, and Robin Lopez.
they got a first but yeah... they wanted to avoid the tax and it looks super bad right now.

By the way, I'm still totally confounded the Bucks didn't keep Brogdon. The **** were they thinking. Good job saving $20 million per year trading an all-star so you could spend $30 million on Bledsoe, George Hill, and Robin Lopez.
I do wonder if the Jazz knew Milwaukee would make a move like that if they would have waited and offered up their pick for him instead of Mike.

they got a first but yeah... they wanted to avoid the tax and it looks super bad right now.
It looked super bad to me at the time. I could not and can not wrap my head around it. Woulda been useful to have a (n other) player that can actually do something with a basketball in their hands and off the ball when a team correctly determines they can devote three players on Giannis and that it's a solvent plan.

I agree its a need... I think the dudes mentioned get around 4-5M... likely more for DJJ because he's young. I'm thinking of the Aminu types that get $10m a season and can end up not getting PT in the playoffs because the shot is so bad and they are so limited. I think perimeter defense and shooting get premiums and aren't as easy to find tbh.

Shaq Harrison is my guy in that tier that I think could actually be cheap.

Its not impossible to get the wing defenders but its going to require use of our limited exceptions.

Wes Iwundu
DJJ
Kris Dunn
Sterling Brown
Kent Bazemore
Stanley Johnson
David Nwaba

Those are some of the names I would look at.

The Jazz don't need young players. Age is nearly irrelevant to the Jazz currently. They just need guys who can fill defensive roles and play. Yes, potential is nice, but it's far from the most important thing for the Jazz.

If they want to take a chance on a higher "upside" guy in the draft then go for it, but that's not what this free agency is going to be about.

Age absolutely is relevant. We have one player on our entire roster under the age of 27 who we trust to do anything.

Conley 32
Rudy 28
Bojan 31
Clarkson 28
Ingles 32
Royce 27
Niang 27

One of the reasons why Don might leave is that the entire roster is 3-4 years away from retiring. He has zero running mate as it sits currently. There's not a guy on the roster, minus maybe Royce, who looks like he can spend the max extension with Don.

Wes Iwundu
DJJ
Kris Dunn
Sterling Brown
Kent Bazemore
Stanley Johnson
David Nwaba

Those are some of the names I would look at.
there will be some cheap players in there... some are not free agents. Nwaba and Johnson are likely not on the market... though Toronto would likely gladly gift you Johnson for free. He has been really bad.

Craig, Harrison... Ariza is likely waived but might still get a bigger deal than you'd want. Harkless likely gets a little more than we'd like. Garret Temple may get his option declined.

There are some guys I guess.

there will be some cheap players in there... some are not free agents. Nwaba and Johnson are likely not on the market... though Toronto would likely gladly gift you Johnson for free. He has been really bad.

Craig, Harrison... Ariza is likely waived but might still get a bigger deal than you'd want. Harkless likely gets a little more than we'd like. Garret Temple may get his option declined.

There are some guys I guess.
Would also add Damyean Dotson to the list. Been solid in NY... could be more than solid in a functional environment.