What's new

Point Guard Situation

May be we can go after D.J Augustine if Cameron Payne outplays him or shows promise enough to get D.J traded.

I'd love to get DJ. As a starter his numbers skyrocket... like skyrocket. Doubt OKC gives him up though because they are in absolute, win-now mode with KD as a pending free agent. Payne is already hurt and rookies generally struggle.

DJ averages like 18 pts and 6-7 assists when starting the last two years. Has like a 45% fg percentage and 40-48% from three. 25 games as a starter last two years so it's not a tiny sample size. He may play better working off guys or when he gets more minutes but there is something there.

Would anybody do a Burke/Pleiss for Calderon deal.

I think they would give up assets to get his contract off the books. I know there is a gazillion dollars in FA money out there, but his contract is 7.5M per year for two more years. NY would likely like to rid themselves of that deal. I am not sure they have any assets to give but I'd make them give up something for us to take him.

I'd love to get DJ. As a starter his numbers skyrocket... like skyrocket. Doubt OKC gives him up though because they are in absolute, win-now mode with KD as a pending free agent. Payne is already hurt and rookies generally struggle.

DJ averages like 18 pts and 6-7 assists when starting the last two years. Has like a 45% fg percentage and 40-48% from three. 25 games as a starter last two years so it's not a tiny sample size. He may play better working off guys or when he gets more minutes but there is something there.

I don't think Payne is injured. He had ankle sprain but it probable to play against Memphis and he had decent stats albeit in limited minutes. This is also Augustine's contract year and OKC may not commit to him if Payne shows potential altought I doubt they would want to break a winning team going into playoffs if Augustine plays well.

I don't think Payne is injured. He had ankle sprain but it probable to play against Memphis and he had decent stats albeit in limited minutes. This is also Augustine's contract year and OKC may not commit to him if Payne shows potential altought I doubt they would want to break a winning team going into playoffs if Augustine plays well.

Yeah... he was just nicked up... I think he was injured this summer though too... Would give me pause if I was OKC. They could save some serious cash by moving him because of the luxury tax they are in this year, but I doubt they want to play with fire. They'd also be potentially helping us and we might be meeting up with them in the playoffs if we landed the 7th 8th seed and they were 1 or 2.

I'd do it and I think the Jazz would too if Burke was sucking. Not sure there is enough motivation for OKC though.

OKC might be motivated enough simply by looking at the bottom line. Definite something to ponder.

OKC might be motivated enough simply by looking at the bottom line. Definite something to ponder.

It's true... they could save about $10 M if they traded him with just nonguaranteeds coming back. They have some other options to alleviate some of their luxury tax issues. I'd lob a call over and see where they are.

It was an actual question?
Oops my bad.
Good question too. I don't know if I would or not. I mean I think we would be better this year and since I have allot of money riding on this season then I guess I would do it. Not sure if it would be a good idea in the long run though

Just watched Hood adn Burks 2015 highlights. I'm going to need a minute...

I think they would give up assets to get his contract off the books. I know there is a gazillion dollars in FA money out there, but his contract is 7.5M per year for two more years. NY would likely like to rid themselves of that deal. I am not sure they have any assets to give but I'd make them give up something for us to take him.

I think if the Knicks pull that deal they'll be in asset accumulation mode. Not sure if they have any legit assets to give.

I remember when a lot of people described Burke's floor as "DJ Augustin"

loloz

Yeah I remember it well. DJ is even smaller than Trey but has the quicks to make up for it. Burke is in PG hell being both slow and small.

Thinking outside the box on this one (and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet):

what about calling SAS about Kyle Anderson? I know they like him, but how much? He obviously wouldn't guard the PG, but he can absolutely play that role on offense.

what about calling SAS about Kyle Anderson? I know they like him, but how much? He obviously wouldn't guard the PG, but he can absolutely play that role on offense.

I wouldn't give up more than that OKC or Golden State 1st rounder for him and no way the Spurs would consider that.

I don't agree that he can absolutely play PG. There's a huge question mark if he actually can play that position. In college he was amazing as a passer, but there's no evidence of that translating over into his NBA career. Even in Summer League, which he dominated scoring, he didn't show the same passing ability he did in college.

I wouldn't give up more than that OKC or Golden State 1st rounder for him and no way the Spurs would consider that.

I don't agree that he can absolutely play PG. There's a huge question mark if he actually can play that position. In college he was amazing as a passer, but there's no evidence of that translating over into his NBA career. Even in Summer League, which he dominated scoring, he didn't show the same passing ability he did in college.

ok. just a hip shot.

He definitely can't play PG. A PG has to be able to break down a defense and get into the paint. That is basically a requirement along with bringing up the ball against full-court pressure. I highly doubt KA could do either of those consistently. Could he be a Point-Forward that distributes from the wings and high post, absolutely. Being a good passer and having a high IQ doesn't automatically make one a PG.

Man he looked good in summer league. I would like him on the jazz