What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2) Saying he'll be right about not liking this contract if Hayward decides to do the smart thing and maximize his earning potential is stupid. I mean, that logic is horrifyingly idiotic.
He is basically saying that he does not like the part of Hayward contract that allows him to opt out and get a much larger contract. Makes sense to me. I wish he couldn't opt out too.
3) Of course I want Hayward as cheap as we can get him, but to get mad at the guy and dislike him because of it is a bitchmade attitude, and I detest it. It would make more sense to get mad at our GM. But yeah, let's get mad at a player for doing the logical thing.

Read his post again. He doesn't say that he dislikes Hayward or is mad at Hayward.
You put these words in his mouth

He is simply saying that he does not like the contract but he would eat his words (admit the contract is ok and he was wrong) if we can keep Hayward at his current money. He simply does not relish the thought of paying 20 million or more to Hayward. Me either.

Quote the part of his post saying that he hates Hayward or is mad at him

Yeah, that Hayward guy would be such an ******* if he went out and tried to get the most money that he could. Doesn't he care about me?! I mean, who does that? Who would try to maximize his value like that? What an *******.

1) He didn't nail that evaluation.
As for this he said "I think we are very jazzed with the tease quin gave everyone in the open practice. Up-tempo, free flowing offense should fit Hayward much better. I think Gordon is really going to like Quin."

I think that is correct to say.

I read through half the thread, and didn't see a post of mine but I was all in for Hayward. Happy we kept him.
I remember this.

I didn't want the jazz to match.

I have already admitted I was wrong many many times in gamethreads throughout the season.

I think Hayward is playing like an all star

He is basically saying that he does not like the part of Hayward contract that allows him to opt out and get a much larger contract. Makes sense to me. I wish he couldn't opt out too.

Read his post again. He doesn't say that he dislikes Hayward or is mad at Hayward.
You put these words in his mouth

He is simply saying that he does not like the contract but he would eat his words (admit the contract is ok and he was wrong) if we can keep Hayward at his current money. He simply does not relish the thought of paying 20 million or more to Hayward. Me either.

Quote the part of his post saying that he hates Hayward or is mad at him

Ok you're right about the dislike and mad part (I never said hate from what I remember). But to say we shouldn't have signed the contract because he can opt out and get more money is silly. Look, there are pretty much two options: Hayward doesn't opt out because he won't get more money, or Hayward does opt out because he can get more money. If he opts out, that means that Hayward is playing really freaking well and he's probably worth the extra money.

I just thinking saying the contract was a mistake solely because of the fact that he can opt out is silly.

So there is a difference between liking a player and having fun seeing him on our team and not wanting to pay too much. You cannot draw a parallel between voting not to match and desiring to "get rid" of a player. That is a false dichotomy.

Basically, this

Oh Jesus, give me a break. Locke's such a freakin' hack. Yeah, he's such a special talent that he shot, what, 40%, 30% last year? He's such a special talent that he couldn't hit the ****ing ocean on any big three point shot where there wasn't a defender within five feet of him. He's such a special talent that he has as much leadership and cajones in him as the banana I just ate for breakfast. Locke can eat a big, fat dick and take off on the horse that Gordo rides out on.

lol.

I don't really care that people are wrong btw, I've been wrong plenty, I just think some of the replies are hilarious. Maybe this board doesn't know as much about basketball as we think we do?

Ok you're right about the dislike and mad part (I never said hate from what I remember). But to say we shouldn't have signed the contract because he can opt out and get more money is silly. Look, there are pretty much two options: Hayward doesn't opt out because he won't get more money, or Hayward does opt out because he can get more money. If he opts out, that means that Hayward is playing really freaking well and he's probably worth the extra money.

I just thinking saying the contract was a mistake solely because of the fact that he can opt out is silly.
That's fair.
You make a good point.

As for how I feel, I'm glad they matched and at the sametime apprehensive about having to pay him 23 million per year or something like that in a few years..... of course I guess they don't actually have to.... they could trade him before then, let him walk, or maybe his market value will not increase (I doubt this). I guess I'm overreacting about something that may or may not happen in the future and that is kind of dumb.

As for this he said "I think we are very jazzed with the tease quin gave everyone in the open practice. Up-tempo, free flowing offense should fit Hayward much better. I think Gordon is really going to like Quin."

I think that is correct to say.

You picked half of it and completely ignored the rest, which is what I was talking about.

I mean, lets be honest, saying a player is going to enjoy a more up-tempo, free-flowing offense is kinda obvious.

You picked half of it and completely ignored the rest, which is what I was talking about.

I mean, lets be honest, saying a player is going to enjoy a more up-tempo, free-flowing offense is kinda obvious.
I guess.
But he also guessed what kind of numbers Hayward would need to put up to "earn" the money in stifles eyes. He got pretty close on the numbers..... but ya it wasn't a true prediction, just a proposed scenario that ended up being pretty close

So I was I. But at the time I didn't know the cap would be increasing by a ton.

Also, I don't think that "so far" is the right term. We were wrong. He's clearly worth it considering the upcoming new cap. Also Hayward is a lot better this year than last.

Probably the response that best fits my attitude. Also from an asset base, with the cap going up, it was clearly the best option to keep him. It will be interesting to see what the Jazz do in 2 years. He'll likely opt out. So does Utah give him a $20M+ contract? Will he like Quin and the rest of the team enough to give us a hometown discount so we can keep more players? Or will Utah sense that like DWill, it's better to get some kind of package for Hayward instead of losing him for nothing.

Hayward is a really good player. But he hasn't - and likely won't - reach the level of a superstar. I still think there's a good chance he leaves Utah for Boston. He can be reunited with his old coach and be an all-star in the EC.

I guess.
But he also guessed what kind of numbers Hayward would need to put up to "earn" the money in stifles eyes. He got pretty close on the numbers..... but ya it wasn't a true prediction, just a proposed scenario that ended up being pretty close

He said he hoped he put up those numbers. If I say that I hope Exum becomes a 20/10 player, that doesn't mean I think I will. Hoping for something does not mean a projection, it usually means you think those numbers are out of reach.

I remember Akirac58767494958 being very outspoken about how turrible he thought hayward would be. That was pretty hilarious.

Probably the response that best fits my attitude. Also from an asset base, with the cap going up, it was clearly the best option to keep him. It will be interesting to see what the Jazz do in 2 years. He'll likely opt out. So does Utah give him a $20M+ contract? Will he like Quin and the rest of the team enough to give us a hometown discount so we can keep more players? Hayward is a really good player. But he hasn't - and likely won't - reach the level of a superstar. I still think there's a good chance he leaves Utah for Boston. He can be reunited with his old coach and be an all-star in the EC.

If Hayward can get a $20/yr contract, then he's probably worth it. Teams seem much more reluctant to give out that kind of money than what we're paying him currently. I don't see Hayward leaving unless we trade him, tbh. He's the best player we've had in years, we're not just gonna let him go unless it's something like a Kevin Love situation.

Probably the response that best fits my attitude. Also from an asset base, with the cap going up, it was clearly the best option to keep him. It will be interesting to see what the Jazz do in 2 years. He'll likely opt out. So does Utah give him a $20M+ contract? Will he like Quin and the rest of the team enough to give us a hometown discount so we can keep more players? Or will Utah sense that like DWill, it's better to get some kind of package for Hayward instead of losing him for nothing.

Hayward is a really good player. But he hasn't - and likely won't - reach the level of a superstar. I still think there's a good chance he leaves Utah for Boston. He can be reunited with his old coach and be an all-star in the EC.

Hayward is getting to be borderline superstar. But even so, he didn't get the superstar contract. He did not get Paul George money. Hayward could opt out and get the true max if he is worth it, and the Jazz can pay more than any other team to keep him. Honestly, I really hope he is worth it, opts out of the final year of his contract, and we give him a 5 year max contract. It would be awesome if he became that type of player. If you are bitching about him being worth money, and opting out and crap, then you had better be happy with his play when he deserves it. IF he doesn't deserve, then no sweat of the jazz' back and they don't keep him. It's really pretty simple.