What's new

Poll: Would you do this trade? Stephen Jackson and Nazr Mohammed (expiring) for AK?

Would you do SJax and Nazr (5.2 rpg in <18mpg) who's expiring for AK?

• Yes

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Gyp Rosetti

Banned
I posted this in another thread and tweaked it for here. Again, Stephen Jackson and Nazr Mohammed (5.2 rpg in under 18 mpg) who's expiring for AK.

Think about it. The Bobcats do it to get out of Jackson's contract as they try to rebuild. They already said they were shopping him anyway. If they're being honest, he's not going to be there once they've improved the team in a couple of years anyway so why not get financial freedom now, especially with a lockout looming. Long-term they save over 15M.

We do it for a couple of reasons. For one, it sheds about 2.5M in salary. It wouldn't get us below the LT level of 70.307M but it would bring our number down that much thus saving on salary as well as the dollar for dollar LT ramifications. All in all, the Millers would save a few million this year which for them means something.

As far as the Jazz as a team, we have two gaping holes. We sorely need a legit wing and a big who can rebound, defend and hopefully score some in what is a long western conference. With Nazr we get 5.2 rebounds per game in just 17.6 minutes per contest. He also contributes 8.0 points per game on over 50% and 1.2 blocks per game in his limited time. In my opinion, he'd add something we don't have. A big who can actually rebound, defend and score in the post. He's also expiring so his contract doesn't hurt us long-term at all. And Stephen Jackson, well, everyone by now knows my infatuation with him. It seems about 60% of us want him, and the other 40% of the board doesn't. The facts are he plays with passion and intensity (something AK doesn't do), rebounds, passes, plays defense, and is a shooting threat who can also create and get to the rim and free throw line. His arrival would mean better room for Al and Paul to work down low as well. Perhaps rebound better down low too even. In short, this fills both of our needs while saving the Millers millions this year. You say it hurts us long-term? Next year we'd be at 67.4M for nine guys. But we'd have options. Memo would be an expiring. Watson, Price, Elson and Fes could be signed to cheap contracts bringing our cap number to less than it is this year. And hell, there could be a lockout anyway.

No trade is perfect but this greatly helps our needs imo. So, flame away.

Yes, if SJax is still a really good wing defender. I haven't watched him much this year...is age catching up to him yet? SJax would bring more toughness to this team as well, which AK will never bring to any team.

Yes, if SJax is still a really good wing defender. I haven't watched him much this year...is age catching up to him yet? SJax would bring more toughness to this team as well, which AK will never bring to any team.

I'll be honest. I haven't seen him much either other than filling up my box score in our fantasy Jazzfanz league. But based on effort alone, I guarantee he'd be an upgrade over AK and his lollygagging.

I would like to see the Jazz at full-strength before wanting the FO to force any kind of adjusments on the roster, honestly. The Jazz have a lot of room for internal improvement and the depth and talent of the Jazz cannot be ignored. However, I actually find this trade applicable and logical.

There would be serious concerns about how coach Sloan and SJax could get along. I have always liked the skillset and style of SJax. A potential tripple double player, he is multi-dimensional, Does not lack size and length for his position. Nazr Mohammed and his expiring contract is appealing to me. A force in the middle, he can contest shots and has always been a fundamentally sound defensive bigman. Would not hurt but we already have 2 same kind of players in Fes and Fran.

I voted Yes. First of all, this is one of the few trade scenarios that exist that make the Jazz better while actually saving the Jazz a little money. If it shaves of 2.5 mil of salary that saves the Miller's 5 mil overall which is probably a bigger deal than we think. Yes, SJax is a loose canon but he fills an immediate need for Utah. He also would be coming into an established team with the most established Coach in the NBA. I wouldn't be suprised to see SJax actually so excited to be with a winner again that he would actually flourish. Not only that, but I love the Mohammad portion of the trade as well. An immediate upgrade in the defensive rebounding department plus another big that will be useful come playoff time.

I'd like to see Utah be agressive and pull the trigger on a deal like this. I have no desire to wait and see what Utah looks like at "full strength". We've been hearing that for the past 3 years or so.

I would like to see the Jazz at full-strength before wanting the FO to force any kind of adjusments on the roster, honestly. The Jazz have a lot of room for internal improvement and the depth and talent of the Jazz cannot be ignored. However, I actually find this trade applicable and logical.

That has been KOC's mantra for the past 4 years. Let's wait and see how we are when we are at full strength. Let's wait and improve internally. Let's wait and see how Almond/Koufos/Fess/CJ turn out. Commons trend: LET'S WAIT.

We need to stop waiting. Some all-star player is not going to fall into our lap if we are just waiting around. CJ or Fess are not going to turn into the next...whatever they are supposed to turn into. The first real move we have made in 4 or 5 years was spurred only by Bozzer opting out. If he hadn't we would still be waiting.

Enough waiting. Enough crap. Do something KOC. I am almost ready for anything that shows we are trying to WIN not just compete.

Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.

Get off your *** and try something KOC.

I like AK. He is playing hurt. I think he contributes more than he gets credit for, especially when it counts.

Players for player, sure, but financially this KILLS the Jazz long-term.

If we're bailing out Charlotte on long-term deals, the Jazz either need to save a lot of money this year (not possible unless a 3rd team under-the-cap is involved, which I think is impossible right now), get a better player like Wallace, or trade a bad long-term contract for another (Memo for Jax).

No. Not quite.

*risks?* Yes. Just not $32 million risks involving 32-year olds. Living cheap with people in their 20's is where it's at.

There are only two years left on his contract and dude's putting up very good numbers. In other words, we see no sign that he's slowing down. He also doesn't have the extra season or so of post-season games that someone like Rip or Kobe has built up over the years.

He'll be 33 and have 24,000 career minutes by playoff time and make $10.5 million this year, next year (2011-12), and the following year (2012-13 - it's a PO but not even Cap Jack would walk away from that). Also he doesn't really shoot a significantly higher percentage than Kirilenko, and we have no idea how well/if he'd fit into the Jazz's system - and even if he does it who knows how long that will take. If the Jazz move AK, I'd prefer a large chunk of the return to be expirings as well. If they take back a long-term contract, it better be for someone who makes them a legitimate top-5 team in the league and Jackson doesn't do that. I don't see the benefits outweighing the costs.

While his 42% FG season average is certainly lower than I'd like, I think in the Jazz offense his percentage would go up significantly. In Charlotte, he is the number 1 option in a bad offense where defenses key in on him. Here, he'd share the shots with DWill, Paul, and AJ (and now, deservedly, Hayward). Being in Utah would eliminate the isolation-centric offense he plays in and would substitute the Jazz' flex. He'd do very, very well here.