What's new

Post Your Draft Board Rankings Here

Alright, top players you DO want the Jazz to draft, in order, and the top players you DON'T want the Jazz to draft, also in order. Keep in mind these are players outside the fab five of Wall, Turner, Cousins, Favors, and Johnson.

Do Draft:

1. Xavier Henry

Absolutely perfect fit for the Jazz and fills a big need.

2. Paul George

Upside- A mature Tracy McGrady. Downside- a more athletic Quincy Lewis

3. Larry Sanders

The most underrated player in the draft. Amare Stoudamire like potential. Great attitude. Well spoken. Intelligent. He would be the perfect mate for Deron Williams. Don't see much of a downside. A guy with his athleticism and explosiveness is guaranteed a spot in the league. I guess the only reason he's not number one on my list is the fact that he played in a weak conference.

4. Greg Monroe

Reminds me a lot of Chris Webber, however, not sure I can handle another soft big man on the team

5. Ed Davis

Could be a really solid 15/8 type. Not sure he's a good fit with Millsap up front.

6. Cole Aldrich

Limited upside, but he does fill a need. If he could be like a Greg Ostertag with confidence he would be a huge difference maker.

7. Patrick Patterson

Very solid role player

Don't Draft:

1. Gordon Hayward

I will probably laugh first and then cry.

2. Ekpe Udoh

When's the last time you saw a guy this overrated going into the draft? Great college player, very average NBA player. Just don't see him in the league five years from now.

3. Luke Babbitt

This pick would make perfect sense if were drafting in the mid-first round and letting Kyle Korver go for sure. I definitely see him being a Kyle Korver like player in the league, but it just doesn't sense to draft a player you already have with a top 10 pick. Might as well just re-sign Korver.

4. Al Aminu

Completely undecided on this kid. I don't see him being very successful on the NBA stage unless he's playing on a run-and-gun team like Golden State or Phoenix. Game doesn't translate well. Poor shooter. Expect him to be in the league, but not as a major contributor.

Well, I know the Millers are trying to get as near the tax threshold as possible. We saw that in the moves made last season (dumping Maynor to get rid of Harp's contract, giving away Brewer for peanuts). So I definitely think both Boozer AND Korver are gone. And AK has a year left. I'm hoping the Jazz can get something for his contract, but I'm not holding my breath. Having $17M come off the books is money in Greg's pocket next season.

With that in mind, I think the Jazz have a definite need to find a wing. And they need another big. I disagree with you on Udoh. I think he's exactly the type of player the Jazz need. A change of pace from Millsap. The guy has hops. He's a shot-blocker and a rebounding beast. Not the most skilled offensively, but he's improved every year. Remember, Millsap didn't have a mid-range game, either. He was all about rebounding, putbacks and energy.

My draft list (assuming the Jazz stay at 9):
Udoh
Monroe
Davis
George
Babbitt

PF/SF depends on what the Jazz are planning to do with AK. I'm fine with drafting a SF if the Jazz plan on having AK back up Millsap until the deadline, then take their chances on trading his expiring.

I like Henry, but I think Matthews is a decent starter and CJ can slide over to the 2. Offensively, I know the wings are interchangeable, but on defense, I think they need a taller player to guard the 3.

Don't Draft
Honzward
Aldrich

Cole is going to be a 10 min/per backup. He can't get that shot off in the NBA. It's easily blocked from behind.

Teens/20's

If the Jazz traded down or picked up a late 1st (which I think is unlikely), I'd go for Brackins or Sanders in the teens or Jones in the 20's.

Second round may as well be a Euro. Then sign Elijah as an undrafted FA.

I would hope that the Jazz could grab the Minnesota pick and darft Cousins ahead of the Kings, but as unlikely as that is...

The Jazz need a shot blocking C more than anything. There are a million wings in the league and they usually come cheaper than anything else, but defensive bigs are really hard to find. If the Jazz do darft a wing, I wouldn't care who it is (outside of Johnson/Turner) it would be a mistake.

Udoh
Davis
Monroe (System Player)
Aldrich

Just darft someone that can play the middle and it's all good.

If the Jazz can get a early 20's pick to get Whiteside, I wouldn't complain.

My Board for the Jazz including all PICKs

1.Wall
2. Turner
3. Favors
4. Cousins
5. Johnson
6. Monroe- I have started to change my opinion on him after seeing more workout vids. His post moves are more developed than I knew.
7.Aminu
8. Aldrich
9.Patterson
10.Davis
11.Henry

1. Sanders
2. Larry Sanders
3. Um, that Larry Sanders dude
4. Larry Freakin Sanders
5. Did I mention Larry Sanders

Thats my board. Seriously. I like Davis a lot but if you trade down, you can get almost the same player and maybe a very high potential super star in George or even a proven guy like Pondexter

My list...

1. Luke Babbitt - I keep seeing Adam Morrison or Kyle Korver comparisons to those who don't want him. I think he can be a better version of Troy Murphy. He isn't a one trick pony like Kyle, and much more athletic than Morrison. The reason I want him is because he will contribute immediately and gives Jerry flexibility with his subs. It's not often you can put a 6-9 guy on the floor who can shoot, dribble, and pass. I've also heard he's too weak to guard a 4 and too slow to guard a 3 - which is a legitimate concern..but all rookies struggle on defense. He will get stronger, naturally.

2. Ed Davis - Love this lefty's ability on defense. He's also coordinated and athletic. He's automatic from 12 feet and in on offense. The reason he isn't number 1 on my board is because I think he's a year away from being able to contribute physically in the NBA. However, if we take him its not like he will be thrown into the fire if Boozer walks. He will be able to spell Perfect Paul, Memo, Fes, Kosta (?) depending on how the rotation shakes out after training camp. I don't see him playing more than 15 minutes a game no matter what his rookie year. But definitely great potential.

3. Gordon Hayward - Love the Mike Miller comparisons. Miller has never had the chance to blow up because he's been on such crap teams with ball hogs. Hayward's got an amazing first step for his size and can handle it and pass. Will be nice to have once AK breaks down for good or leaves town in a year or two.

4. Hassan Whiteside - If we take him, I hope its after trading down. Do not want to take him at the 9. But I think he's got the most upside of all the bigs in the draft outside of Favors, but still a couple years away.

DO NOT WANT

1. Greg Monroe - If anyone reads my posts they'll know I sound like a broken record. I've been saying this about Monroe since he was a senior in high school... He's Kwame Brown 2.0. Both could handle, pass, rebound, and score against HIGH SCHOOLERS. Both are average athletes, who don't do one thing a big man should in the Pros well. On top of all this, he is soft. If he's still around at the 55 and we took him I'd probably be disappointed.

2. Ekpe Udoh - This is more of a hunch but I just can't see him being anything more than a nice role player off the bench. At the 9, there are a few guys who will have much greater impacts in the league.

random thoughts...

I absolutely think C.J. is ready to become a legitimate threat for us this upcoming season. I anticipate him playing 30 minutes a game. So I'm hoping we take a versatile wing like Babbitt or Hayward (assuming Carlos and Sally walk). With that, I think KOC will need to bring in a FA center who can log at least 25 min per game depending on Okur and Fes' development. We'll have the perfect mix if that happens. D-Will and Perfect Paul will both be all stars.

I'm also hoping the Jazz are exploring a back up PG option. Ronnie Price is not the answer. Way too inconsistent. Doubt we can find one in the 2nd round - but its possible.

1. Turner
2. Wall
3. Favors
4. Cousins
5. Henry
6. Monroe
7. Patterson
8. Johnson
9. Aldrich

Others that the Jazz might draft and I would not be pissed: Udoh, Davis, Aminu.

Guys who might grow on me: Honzward.

Not sold on: Babbitt, George.

Anyone else and I'm pissed.

In 5-7 years, a re-draft of the lottery would look something like this:

1 John Wall PG
2 DeMarcus Cousins C
3 Evan Turner SG/SF
4 Xavier Henry SG/SF
5 Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF
6 Wesley Johnson SF/PF
6 Patrick Patterson PF
7 Derrick Favors PF/C
8 Greg Monroe PF/C
8 Elliot Williams SG
9 Larry Sanders PF/C
10 Cole Aldrich C
11 Jordan Crawford SG
12 Greivis Vasquez PG/SG
13 Jerome Randle PG
14 Lazar Hayward SF

Hopefully, this site (and post) will still be around 5-7 years. I wish I could bring up my similar posts from previous drafts.

1 John Wall PG
2 DeMarcus Cousins C
3 Evan Turner SG/SF
4 Xavier Henry SG/SF
5 Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF
6 Wesley Johnson SF/PF
6 Patrick Patterson PF
7 Derrick Favors PF/C
8 Greg Monroe PF/C
8 Elliot Williams SG
9 Larry Sanders PF/C
10 Cole Aldrich C
11 Jordan Crawford SG
12 Greivis Vasquez PG/SG
13 Jerome Randle PG
14 Lazar Hayward SF

Hopefully, this site (and post) will still be around 5-7 years. I wish I could bring up my similar posts from previous drafts.

Lol at having Vasquez on there

1. Turner
2. Favors
3. Wall
4. Johnson
5. Aldrich
6. Davis
7. Aminu
8. Cousins
9. George
10. Monroe
11. Udoh
12. Babbitt
13. Sanders
14. J. Anderson
15. Henry

The Jazz need to use this draft as an opportunity to get a player with exceptional abilities that they can not easily get in future drafts or through free agency. The Jazz need to try to draft a difference maker, not just stock up on another player. With that in mind, here are the players the Jazz should want to draft--

1 Wall
2 Cousins
3 Turner
4 Favors
5 Johnson
6 Monroe
7 George
8 Whiteside
9 Henry
10 Davis/Patterson

1 Wall
2 Favors
3 Cousins
4 George
5 Davis
6 Aminu
7 Whiteside
8 Turner
9 Sanders
10 Hayward
11 Bledsoe
12 Henry
13 Johnson
14 Orton
15 Brackins

The Jazz need to use this draft as an opportunity to get a player with exceptional abilities that they can not easily get in future drafts or through free agency. The Jazz need to try to draft a difference maker, not just stock up on another player. With that in mind, here are the players the Jazz should want to draft--

1 Wall
2 Cousins
3 Turner
4 Favors
5 Johnson
6 Monroe
7 George
8 Whiteside
9 Henry
10 Davis/Patterson

Isn't that the goal of every draft no matter where you're picking? It's just a matter of opinion of who will be a difference maker or not...and to what extent.

James Anderson, Xavier Henry, and Larry Sanders will all be better pros than Hayward or Babbitt.

Let's bump this thread in 3 years to confirm.

1. Sanders
2. Larry Sanders
3. Um, that Larry Sanders dude
4. Larry Freakin Sanders
5. Did I mention Larry Sanders

Thats my board. Seriously. I like Davis a lot but if you trade down, you can get almost the same player and maybe a very high potential super star in George or even a proven guy like Pondexter

As interested as I am in Davis, Larry looks like a safer bet. I bet he moves up tonight. Will we trade down, and nab him?
I'd love to somehow end up with Sanders, and Varnado tonight.

1 John Wall PG
2 DeMarcus Cousins C
3 Evan Turner SG/SF
4 Xavier Henry SG/SF
5 Al-Farouq Aminu SF/PF
6 Wesley Johnson SF/PF
6 Patrick Patterson PF
7 Derrick Favors PF/C
8 Greg Monroe PF/C
8 Elliot Williams SG
9 Larry Sanders PF/C
10 Cole Aldrich C
11 Jordan Crawford SG
12 Greivis Vasquez PG/SG
13 Jerome Randle PG
14 Lazar Hayward SF

Lol at having Vasquez on there

Lol at who you lol'd about.. considering who else is on there.