What's new

Post Your Gobert or Mitchell Trade Ideas

Horford is on a 4 year contract and he is like 70 years old now... pass.

I doubt anyone would trade Gobert very quickly. If the jazz do it will have a lot to do with not wanting to pay him the supermax and a little to do with his attitude.

I wouldn't do most of the trades mentioned here but I think that some principles surrounding a trade would be cap flexibility, moving Donovan to the point guard position, replacing gobert with a defensive anchor, and getting deeper at the wing.

I like NO as a trade partner. Get back Favors, some youth, and draft picks. Perhaps we do a Conley for Jrue swap (if the jazz insist on having a point guard).

Conley
Gobert

Jrue
Favors
Youth pieces and/or draft picks

Or

Gobert

Favors, youth, draft picks

Horford is on a 4 year contract and he is like 70 years old now... pass.

I doubt anyone would trade Gobert very quickly. If the jazz do it will have a lot to do with not wanting to pay him the supermax and a little to do with his attitude.

I wouldn't do most of the trades mentioned here but I think that some principles surrounding a trade would be cap flexibility, moving Donovan to the point guard position, replacing gobert with a defensive anchor, and getting deeper at the wing.

I like NO as a trade partner. Get back Favors, some youth, and draft picks. Perhaps we do a Conley for Jrue swap (if the jazz insist on having a point guard).

Conley
Gobert

Jrue
Favors
Youth pieces and/or draft picks

Or

Gobert

Favors, youth, draft picks
Al is old but he’s likely as durable as Favs will be... he’s still effective and really versatile as a center.

The biggest issue/question to me is can Rudy be his best self when we play title contenders. I think he does really well against 2/3 of the league... but there are matchups or things teams can throw at us that limit how effective he is. Part of me wants to believe that we could still exploit small teams on his roll or putbacks and maybe if the matchups fall the right way we can win a title. I had hoped that Rudy would still have us as a top 5 defense because he’s so good. He either hasn’t been as good or needs more help or teams have figured us out a bit or some of all of that.

I think there are very few trades that make us better now or significantly improve our future. The contract issue coming up and the current rift may be a pivot point that we need to accept.

Chicago for Carter, their pick this year, Thad, Sato might be not terrible. I’m not a big fan of Markannan or White... sell them on the Rudy Lauri pairing even though Lauri can’t defend and is the “great” shooting big man that doesn’t actually make shots.

I hate this years draft so we could likely swipe next years pick in this trade too... assuming they don’t move up in the top three this year.

I like Carter more than Lauri or Jarrett Allen (if we did a Nets deal).
Put me down as an official fan of Carter. It’s a wet dream to pair him with Rudy.

Al is old but he’s likely as durable as Favs will be... he’s still effective and really versatile as a center.

The biggest issue/question to me is can Rudy be his best self when we play title contenders. I think he does really well against 2/3 of the league... but there are matchups or things teams can throw at us that limit how effective he is.

He does really well against 28/29 of the league. He struggles with Houston.

He does really well against 28/29 of the league. He struggles with Houston.

Any team that can play 5 out can limit how effective Rudy is by pulling him away from the basket. Doesn’t mean he’s useless but he isn’t always able to find a way to be dominant or punish the team on the other end. There aren’t many stars that have that kind of limitation. We haven’t been able to punish teams like Houston when they go small and there are now many 5s that can shoot... it is no longer a novelty. It isn’t just a one team issue.

Any team that can play 5 out can limit how effective Rudy is by pulling him away from the basket. Doesn’t mean he’s useless but he isn’t always able to find a way to be dominant or punish the team on the other end. There aren’t many stars that have that kind of limitation. We haven’t been able to punish teams like Houston when they go small and there are now many 5s that can shoot... it is no longer a novelty. It isn’t just a one team issue.

Which other teams have you seen Rudy struggle against for most of the game?

Which other teams have you seen Rudy struggle against for most of the game?
Struggle is not the word... limit is... his impact is limited against stretch 5s or if he has to guard on the perimeter. He’s okay switching out but that means the rim is naked. Our defense wasn’t great this year and that is part of the reason.

Denver, Toronto, Dallas were all able to pull him away from the rim... in the playoffs AD will play a ton of center and do the same. KAT got us once at the beginning of the year and would be a bigger problem if the rest of his roster wasn’t garbage. GS in years past has been able to pull him out of the paint.

At various times teams were able to use a shooting 5 or 5 out strategy to limit his impact. Not every team can do it, but it’s more and more prevalent.

Some of the groundwork has been laid for a potential Rudy trade. I don't think its a real possibility until after his contract negotiations though.. and likely has more to do with him taking a solid extension now over the megamax. I think the Jazz will balk at a megamax… is Rudy reasonable and does he want to stay with the group? If not that is when you'd poke around trade-wise... even then unless we got a solid value we likely keep him and give it a try. Currently I'd say there is a 10% or less chance he is moved... if he doesn't sign an extension this summer then I say it is closer to 30%.

For whatever reason... there were nights he was disengaged this season. His defense hasn't been as good. Our other defensive downgrades combined with Rudy's subpar (for him) performance has led to us going from #2 DRTG a year ago to #12... some of that is obviously the quality of his backup this year. The best outcome for immediate future is he signs a long term extension and stays, second best is they get great value in a trade, third best is he signs a full or megamax (could be a negative at some point), worst is he plays out the season and we lose him for nothing. Based on economic environment and the fact that I think Rudy is pretty reasonable I think he signs a deal and stays. The "rift" is real and I think it was forming pre-CV19... but its something that will smooth over when we can start playing again.

Some of the groundwork has been laid for a potential Rudy trade. I don't think its a real possibility until after his contract negotiations though.. and likely has more to do with him taking a solid extension now over the megamax. I think the Jazz will balk at a megamax… is Rudy reasonable and does he want to stay with the group? If not that is when you'd poke around trade-wise... even then unless we got a solid value we likely keep him and give it a try. Currently I'd say there is a 10% or less chance he is moved... if he doesn't sign an extension this summer then I say it is closer to 30%.

For whatever reason... there were nights he was disengaged this season. His defense hasn't been as good. Our other defensive downgrades combined with Rudy's subpar (for him) performance has led to us going from #2 DRTG a year ago to #12... some of that is obviously the quality of his backup this year. The best outcome for immediate future is he signs a long term extension and stays, second best is they get great value in a trade, third best is he signs a full or megamax (could be a negative at some point), worst is he plays out the season and we lose him for nothing. Based on economic environment and the fact that I think Rudy is pretty reasonable I think he signs a deal and stays. The "rift" is real and I think it was forming pre-CV19... but its something that will smooth over when we can start playing again.

There are several factors that both Rudy and the Jazz need to look at related to his free agency. One is what the new cap structure is going to look like in light of the financial hit the league is taking right now. Another will be the question of how many teams have cap space to give Rudy a max or near-max deal. Rudy will want a situation where he can be successful, get paid and win games.

Dallas wants to make a splash in free agency in 2021. They might target Gobert if they miss out on a few of the bigger names.

Denver, Toronto, Dallas were all able to pull him away from the rim... in the playoffs AD will play a ton of center and do the same. KAT got us once at the beginning of the year and would be a bigger problem if the rest of his roster wasn’t garbage. GS in years past has been able to pull him out of the paint.

At various times teams were able to use a shooting 5 or 5 out strategy to limit his impact. Not every team can do it, but it’s more and more prevalent.

So our defense against Denver, Toronto, Dallas, the Lakers, and Wolves was below the average of the rest of the league defending those teams?

Gobert for Jaylen Brown

or

Gobert for Jarrett Allen, Dinwiddie, Levert, and picks

or

Gobert and Conley for all the Knicks got. Picks, cap space, players, whatever. Shed contracts, get assets, sign Joe Harris and Montrez Harrell.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

So our defense against Denver, Toronto, Dallas, the Lakers, and Wolves was below the average of the rest of the league defending those teams?

IDK... go look it up yourself. I can tell you this year we are not as good defensively... I can tell you against certain types of players and teams Rudy is less effective. Average isn't the goal... elite is.

You watched the games right? It isn't obvious that Rudy isn't as good when he can't just drop to the paint? He's still good and useful in those matchups... or average... but we need elite.

IDK... go look it up yourself.

I'm not trying to persuade you about anything. You were trying to challenge my statement that Rudy is very useful against 28/29 teams in the league.

I can tell you this year we are not as good defensively... I can tell you against certain types of players and teams Rudy is less effective. Average isn't the goal... elite is.

Everyone performs worse against the elite teams. That's why they are elite.

You watched the games right? It isn't obvious that Rudy isn't as good when he can't just drop to the paint? He's still good and useful in those matchups... or average... but we need elite.

The few games I've seen, Rudy has shown very good mobility for his height. Most teams don't do well with 5-out against us, because one of those five doesn't have true 3-point range.

Real GM Celtics forum participants held a poll on a hypothetical Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poitier and Ojeleye. Result: 36% in favor of trade, 64% opposed. Forum members display very polarized attitudes: some call Gobert underrated, at least one calls him most overrated player in NBA. Supermax an issue. Some would not trade Smart alone for him.

Real GM Celtics forum participants held a poll on a hypothetical Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poitier and Ojeleye. Result: 36% in favor of trade, 64% opposed. Forum members display very polarized attitudes: some call Gobert underrated, at least one calls him most overrated player in NBA. Supermax an issue. Some would not trade Smart alone for him.
Good!! I hope this is how teams feel about him too so we don’t trade him.

Most Celtics fans I've seen are blind homers, and they've adopted Danny Ainge's expectations for lopsided trades. Utah wouldn't trade for Smart, Ojeleye, and the rest of that crap.

One team that would make a serious offer for Gobert would be Golden State, offering their lottery pick, a future pick and probably Wiggins' contract (which might go to a third team). They'd play him like their new Andrew Bogut.

Last edited:
I don't really want a trade, and I don't think Memphis would do this, but I'll throw this out there anyway. I'm assuming that if the Jazz feel like they have to make a trade, they won't be getting a star in return, but perhaps the best they could hope for is two very solid starter talents (plus someone whose fit might be better on a team like the Jazz):

Brandon Clarke, Jonas Valanciunas, Kyle Anderson

for

Gobert, Davis

I don't really want a trade, and I don't think Memphis would do this, but I'll throw this out there anyway. I'm assuming that if the Jazz feel like they have to make a trade, they won't be getting a star in return, but perhaps the best they could hope for is two very solid starter talents (plus someone whose fit might be better on a team like the Jazz):

for

Gobert, Davis
No thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

for

Gobert, Davis
Holy No