What's new

Potential Trade Targets

With Lavine the compelling thing is he is like a top 12 scorer the last 4 years or so when you consider volume and efficiency. He's also been in the worst type of situations basketball-wise. He was looked at as the potential solution to one of those basketball solutions but he's just not quite that good. If he is put in a situation with space, a defensive anchor, and competent coach that might limit his bad decisions... what does that look like. We also are trying to take the next step from lotto team to play in team... Zach would help that.

The bad, the decision making, defense, and the contract is stinky.

I think the Lakers should really consider it. If Lavine plays the volume scorer but then in the playoffs shifts more to an offball Michael Porter type role he could really help them. Especially if the price is like Rui, Russel and JHS.

Switch Lavine and Jaylen Brown situations. How are those two viewed today?

No.

At teh end of the day Lavine doesnt make others better. With a guy like Lauri you need someone who makes people better w/ the ball in their hands, because Lauri isnt doing that.
Yeah and I get that... but none of the guys in the trade do that either. And you might address that in a follow up move or by playing KO a bit more or something. Like Don really didn't do that enough either. If Zach did do that then he's worth how much in a trade?

When General Manager Landry Fields traded for Dejounte Murray last offseason, many Hawks fans were excited about the possibility of a great perimeter defender next to Young. Murray’s defensive calling card has always been his keen eye for picking off passes, leading to easy transition buckets for his squad. He brings that to Atlanta, as the Hawks rank fifth in the league in steals with 8.5 per game.

Many fans outside of Atlanta may know Murray as a great point-of-attack (POA) defender; unfortunately, he has not showcased that ability regularly with the Hawks. Murray often guards the opposition’s perimeter scorer with little success on most nights. The front office might have misevaluated Murray’s POA defense while he was on the San Antonio Spurs.

Switch Lavine and Jaylen Brown situations. How are those two viewed today?
I think Brown is still a much, much, much better defender. But yeah if he had to create more and his passing was more under a microscope you may not love the offense a ton.

It sounds like he's a player that isn't worth two firsts and two recent lotto picks to me.

Intervened? I literally started teh "Dejounte is overrated discourse" in this thread...

Please just stop fishing stats and conflating them. You dont watch ball.

Again, the video is just an example of simple movement data being relatively useless. Just because you run around doesn't mean you are doing something

REminds me of this quote.

View attachment 15686
How do you pile up useless miles off ball on offense? You do understand that posting 1 or 100 defensive examples does nothing to counter the point being discussed?

1704309412588.png

I don't want Lavine no matter how good of a SG he is and here's why.

View: https://youtu.be/RuFFEXMHZUY?si=jsStL_rcUIFi58-i

Lavine is a good player in the wrong era. With the way the league’s heading, we need to build our team around a player that falls into one of those three categories 1)an elite PG who can score AND playmake 2)an elite center who can playmake 3)a versatile two way forward who can switch on everything.

All championship teams in the past decade are built on one of those three premises. Our quest for a championship is doomed from the start if we build our team around a one dimensional player like a PF or SG.

I don't want Lavine no matter how good of a SG he is and here's why.

View: https://youtu.be/RuFFEXMHZUY?si=jsStL_rcUIFi58-i

Lavine is a good player in the wrong era. With the way the league’s heading, we need to build our team around a player that falls into one of those three categories 1)an elite PG who can score AND playmake 2)an elite center who can playmake 3)a versatile two way forward who can switch on everything.

All championship teams in the past decade are built on one of those three premises. Our quest for a championship is doomed from the start if we build our team around a one dimensional player like a PF or SG.

???

Maybe you chose your words poorly, but what you wrote doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say we shouldn't try to add a good SG or PF to our roster because those specific positions don't win championships?

I really hope that's not what you are trying to say.

The issue with the narrative that we are going to take all the picks we collected and trade for a star that I have is... unless its a flawed star or an aging star on either a too long or expiring deal... they go for A LOT. Even a guy like Jaylen Brown would get 4 picks for the right to pay him a ton. Ainge really gonna call a star's bluff on a short deal at some point? So we keep all the powder dry for when prime Lebron comes available?

DA is more patient than all of us... but the perfect opportunity will not just present itself on a timeline that works for us. So right now I am kind of of the thinking that if you aren't going to go get a flawed star then you may need to consider moving Lauri for a long-term tank job. I'm cool waiting until the offseason to do it but if we have a chance to cash in big time now then maybe just go ahead and do that.

???

Maybe you chose your words poorly, but what you wrote doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say we shouldn't try to add a good SG or PF to our roster because those specific positions don't win championships?

I really hope that's not what you are trying to say.
Not if he's on a 45mil contract and gonna take a chunk of your cap space. If Lavine is willing to take on a reserve role as the 3rd/4th option or even as a 25 min scorer off the bench then sure. But whoever's getting him is expected to be building the team around him, which is the reason Bulls not finding any suitors right now.

15 years ago teams would jump on the opportunity of getting a guy like Lavine. Just a different ball game today.

The issue with the narrative that we are going to take all the picks we collected and trade for a star that I have is... unless its a flawed star or an aging star on either a too long or expiring deal... they go for A LOT. Even a guy like Jaylen Brown would get 4 picks for the right to pay him a ton. Ainge really gonna call a star's bluff on a short deal at some point? So we keep all the powder dry for when prime Lebron comes available?

DA is more patient than all of us... but the perfect opportunity will not just present itself on a timeline that works for us. So right now I am kind of of the thinking that if you aren't going to go get a flawed star then you may need to consider moving Lauri for a long-term tank job. I'm cool waiting until the offseason to do it but if we have a chance to cash in big time now then maybe just go ahead and do that.
At this current stage I'd rather pay to get guys you think could greatly improve under a new situation.

No, Zach has already played his peak basketball.

I mean guys like Moses Moody (has 2 DNP-CDS in a row).

Like if you got Jalen Johnson before he emerged this season.

Those types of dudes. Dudes who got talent but dont have consistent minutes.
We could go get Taylor Hendricks and Sensabaugh... they got some talent.