What's new

Predict Our Starting Lineup

Have you looked at our schedule? Our first 30 games are brutal. I think it would be opposite. We start off horribly with a new group and new coach and start playing better and become more competitive in February through the end of the season. Unless we shamelessly tank the last month of course
It is silly but a novel/new coach and recently traded players tend to be motivated. I am also counting on a delay in scouting intelligence for the first 20 games. That's my out there crazy prediction. Sometimes I hit on them - most of the time I don't. :)

Not sure I can predict who will be the Jazz starting five, but I am predicting Wolves vs. Cavs in the NBA Championship.
I don't like Kat but I would love to see Rudy get it over Donovan 10000000000000000000000000000x over

I think NAW and Butler's pulse might be viewed as very weak by the current regime.

I think Justin Zanik acquired NAW thinking the Jazz could develop him into something. Hard to say if they still feel that way or not.

Butler's Summer League didn't make him look like he's really a floor general type. Maybe if the spacing is better and the players around him are better he could do it. He sure looks like a backup right now though. His best attribute appears to be floor spacing with some secondary creation.

THT and Bolmaro aren't exactly efficient offensively either, so it's not like they're just going to blow by guys on the roster. I see all four of those guys being in the same boat. Jazz will develop one or two of them probably and eventually dump the others.

I think Justin Zanik acquired NAW thinking the Jazz could develop him into something. Hard to say if they still feel that way or not.

Butler's Summer League didn't make him look like he's really a floor general type. Maybe if the spacing is better and the players around him are better he could do it. He sure looks like a backup right now though. His best attribute appears to be floor spacing with some secondary creation.

THT and Bolmaro aren't exactly efficient offensively either, so it's not like they're just going to blow by guys on the roster.
I think I can make a good argument that these two are the worst players currently on the roster which I understand will have to change. Perhaps if some of the better players get shipped there might be room for them.

I think I can make a good argument that these two are the worst players currently on the roster which I understand will have to change. Perhaps if some of the better players get shipped there might be room for them.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Both THT and Bolmaro are sub-30% 3pt shooters at this stage. So unless that improves, or their defense and playmaking are amazing, I don't think they really eclipse the other guys. THT is as big a project as anyone on our current roster, imo. The Lakers paid him and hyped him up, but he doesn't have a clear role at this point. With NAW, he can at least spot up, guard a couple positions and move the ball. Butler should be a fairly reliable shooter if he doesn't try to do too much.

No one is going to bother guarding either THT or Bolmaro right now.

THT and Bolmaro aren't exactly efficient offensively either, so it's not like they're just going to blow by guys on the roster. I see all four of those guys being in the same boat. Jazz will develop one or two of them probably and eventually dump the others.
NAW is probably a bit under discussed when it comes to potential. I don't really believe in him, but he might have a better shot than THT.

I think Fontecchio got some assurance he'd be a starter.

Why else would he join the tanking Jazz of all teams? No way we were the only team on his radar.
Wasn't it reported that the Lakers were the main competition for him?

In that case, we likely only had to beat a one-year minimum deal.

I didn’t want to be biased so didn’t look at a single post.
Sexton
Beasley
Fontechio
Markennan
Azubuike
I'd put this lineup as most likely. If Beasley is moved, I'll go wildcard and say Bolmaro as the only real average to better-than-average defender.

(I'm going to die on this Bolmaro-is-an-NBA-player take, I suspect. His scoring threat is so very low, maybe worst in the league low, but I like so much else of what he does.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are higher on Agbaji to start right off the bat than I am. He has potential, but I don't really see him as a plus defender immediately. He's too passive both offensively and defensively, from the couple tourney games I watched. I think he's going to have to grow into NBA intensity.

I think a lot of people are higher on Agbaji to start right off the bat than I am. He has potential, but I don't really see him as a plus defender immediately. He's too passive both offensively and defensively, from the couple tourney games I watched. I think he's going to have to grow into NBA intensity.

I think it's safe to project him as a 3D wing. He'll shoot well enough. He's athletic enough. I'm not expecting more than that. He's got some toughness and a few intangibles. I could see why Ainge would like him. He may never be a big-money player.

I'd put this lineup as most likely. If Beasley is moved, I'll go wildcard and say Bolmaro as the only real average to better-than-average defender.

(I'm going to die on this Bolmaro-is-an-NBA-player take, I suspect. His scoring threat is so very low, maybe worst in the league low, but I like so much else of what he does.

Markkanen's size gives him a defensive presence. He was able to deter Bogdanovic last season, just because he couldn't be posted and he could make some good contests.

I'm on the fence as to whether Bolmaro is an NBA player. He is actually versatile defensively, but what he can do on offense will determine his future.

I couldn’t agree more concerning Bolmaro. He’s one of those sleepers I was talking about in another thread. He’s also one of those guys that should get the most out of a rebuild situation. He gets some confidence in his offensive game going, look out he’s the next Alex Caruso IMO!

Last edited:
I think it's safe to project him as a 3D wing. He'll shoot well enough. He's athletic enough. I'm not expecting more than that. He's got some toughness and a few intangibles. I could see why Ainge would like him. He may never be a big-money player.
I agree with this assessment generally. I think I'm generally optimistic on him. But I don't really expect him to bust out of the gates immediately.

I'm not sure we're going to be able to offload every single one of the vets before the season starts, and I kind of have a feeling Beasly and or Clarkson might still be here.

Sexton
Beasley
Fontecchio
Markkanen
Vando

I'll take another stab at this now that we've acquired Olynyk, and it looks like Conley will still be here.

Conley/Sexton/Fontecchio/Markkanen/Olynyk

I'll take another stab at this now that we've acquired Olynyk, and it looks like Conley will still be here.

Conley/Sexton/Fontecchio/Markkanen/Olynyk
What I'd like to see is

Sexton
Beasley
Ochai or Simone
Lauri
Vando

Not sure Mike comes off the bench and it may hurt his perceived trade value.

What I'd like to see is

Sexton
Beasley
Ochai or Simone
Lauri
Vando

Not sure Mike comes off the bench and it may hurt his perceived trade value.

It's going to be really interesting to see who makes the 9 or 10 man rotation and who doesn't. We still have SO many guards on the roster.