What's new

Preseason Game #2 - Portland @ Utah, 12-21-11, 7pm MST

I honestly don't care who Corbin starts, as long as he doesn't start with Okur and Jefferson.

That first quarter was brutal. The other quarters were fine, even though Utah still got outplayed, it was a great showing from our young guys.

I disagree. Right now, I don't think Favors and Al are very complimentary. You can make arguments for Favors and Sap. Favors and Okur could also work. But for better or worse, Al and Sap is still our best option. And honestly, I think those 2 can play a lot better together than they have. But Al and Okur could be great offensively. Defensively, they might be compensated for if our rotations didn't look so horrific. Start Okur against Wallace (instead of Batum) and I think we'll see an improvement off the bat.

I disagree. Right now, I don't think Favors and Al are very complimentary. You can make arguments for Favors and Sap. Favors and Okur could also work. But for better or worse, Al and Sap is still our best option. And honestly, I think those 2 can play a lot better together than they have. But Al and Okur could be great offensively. Defensively, they might be compensated for if our rotations didn't look so horrific. Start Okur against Wallace (instead of Batum) and I think we'll see an improvement off the bat.

Are Al and Sap really our best option? Favors is better are everything than Jefferson except in post iso's. So we don't throw the ball to him for post iso all the time.

Basically we give up so much defensively and on the boards by going with Jefferson over Favors. Now if we are being sneaking and trying to hold up Jefferson's trade value I can see why to play him.

Are Al and Sap really our best option? Favors is better are everything than Jefferson except in post iso's. So we don't throw the ball to him for post iso all the time.

Basically we give up so much defensively and on the boards by going with Jefferson over Favors. Now if we are being sneaking and trying to hold up Jefferson's trade value I can see why to play him.

Favors is not better than Al by a long margin at this point. I loved the game he had last night. But he still doesn't have a post game. Starting Favors with somebody who isn't a threat in the post will lead to disaster (unless he miraculously develops a P&R game that he doesn't currently have). He's much better suited to keep developing a post game against second unit players.

Reactions: MVP
Regardless, starting Okur and Jefferson will be one of the dumbest moves in the history.

Memo is in no way a starter, but I really hope no one is suggesting not starting Al. Regardless of whether we keep him or trade him, he's starting. I tend to believe Utah will look to trade him by the deadline if we're not in the playoff hunt. Obviously our best case scenario would be for him to put up big numbers, if that's going to be the case.

Of course you could mute the TV and use NBA Audio League pass to listen to the Portland Radio guys. They are far less annoying than Locke, Boler and Harpring.

I may be the minority here, but I have no problem with Boler and Harpring. Their corkiness is amusing.

[
- divide the 96 mins of PT between 5 bigmen

Coaches dont need to divide the 96 mins of PT between 5 bigmen. Really only 3 guys should be getting many minutes. Memo really shouldn't ever play unless there is and injury. Kanter should just get minutes when the outcome of the game is no longer in question

On the drive home yesterday I heard (1280 interviewing a sltrib writer) that he was told Favors would be the starter for tonight's game but didn't know who would be taken out, they speculated Memo.

Favors is not better than Al by a long margin at this point. I loved the game he had last night. But he still doesn't have a post game. Starting Favors with somebody who isn't a threat in the post will lead to disaster (unless he miraculously develops a P&R game that he doesn't currently have). He's much better suited to keep developing a post game against second unit players.

I totally dig your analyses 99% of the time, but I might find difference with you here. I think Favors should start. I've had different opinions about whom he should displace, but, for me, he's there. I think plenty of his minutes should be ranged against the opposing teams' second units, but he adds an indefensible athleticism and solid rim protection that was sorely lacking last year.

I might even make the case that, for similar reasons, Evans should start. He'd be the 5th option on offense, and has shown signs of being a decent to good team defender.

Harris/Watson
Hayward/CJ/Burks/Bell
Evans/Howard/Hayward/CJ/Millsap
Favors/Millsap
Jefferson/Kanter/Okur

"I just cannot understand the fans who are already in calamity howler mode. We have +10 pages for a freakin' scrimmage, including player-by-player analysis It will take at least a couple of months for this team to play solid, consistently efficient, I think. I will be fair to coach Corbin, who is in the toughest position during this period"

Why? I don't get it...

Was this team massively changed over the offseason? Sure, we got Kanter and Burks.

But the rest of the core has already played a season together, Harris, Millsap, Jefferson, Chucker, Raja, Earl, Evans, Hayward, and Favors.

Josh Howard and Tinsley are vets.

I get that we have some young players. But it's not like we're a team of rookies that have never played together.

Personally, I think we should stop making excuses for these guys. There isn't any reason why they should have come out looking completely disinterested the other night...

I like bolerjack.... hate harpring though. Harpring talks to much for a color commentator.

I totally dig your analyses 99% of the time, but I might find difference with you here. I think Favors should start. I've had different opinions about whom he should displace, but, for me, he's there. I think plenty of his minutes should be ranged against the opposing teams' second units, but he adds an indefensible athleticism and solid rim protection that was sorely lacking last year.

I might even make the case that, for similar reasons, Evans should start. He'd be the 5th option on offense, and has shown signs of being a decent to good team defender.

Harris/Watson
Hayward/CJ/Burks/Bell
Evans/Howard/Hayward/CJ/Millsap
Favors/Millsap
Jefferson/Kanter/Okur

It's about spacing. With Al on the block, Favors has to play the high post. That could work if he had a legitimate jumper that had to be respected, or he turns into the lane burner that Amare is. Like Memphis (which loves to keep defenses off balance posting both Gasol and Randolph), if both were offensive threats you could do a lot of different things. Otherwise, his presence clogs the paint when paired with Al. On the flip side, Favors and Sap could play much better together. But Sap isn't exactly a great post player, either. His forte is the pick and pop. So you'd see a lot of teams put height on him and force the action through Favors, all while drivers are running into traffic jams.

Don't get me wrong, I want Ty to experiment with every big lineup. And the goal is absolutely to get Favors into the starting lineup as fast as possible. But his longterm development hinges on expanding his offensive arsenal. He's going to get more opportunity for that on the second unit. But if we find out he helps more on the first unit, I'm down with that, too.

According to Brian T. Smith, "Corbin said there's a chance Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward could start tonight vs. Blazers but nothing's set."

Come on guys, keep it real!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The Jazz will play better!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Defense wins!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Keith McLeod will play!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

19-13!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

free-cute-smileys-289[1].gif

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Mcleod is a beast. Must play this game. Go Mcleod. Need Coach back.

Now that Mcleod has been cut, how are we going to win?