What's new

Random Acts of Kindess

• Thread starter Deleted member 5000
  • Start date
Great thread topic.

I work with homeless vets. One of my guys has zero income. The other day I saw him give a five dollar bill to a lady begging on the street. When I asked why, he said she needed it more than he did.

Why are the veterans in general homeless? What happened to the parents or other relatives? Isn't it true, that after Vietnam war there hasn't been any wars were you were drafted by law to the army? Or is/was the salary for infantry or tank operator or Hornet pilot in Gulf war, Afghanistan etc. quite low by US standards? If i remember correctly, then the salary for those Estonian infantrymen of were with NATO forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, was about 2500-3000 EUR per month (and it includes quite nice medical insurance). The salary was little bit less that was received by the parliament members. Official minimum salary with country wide public medical insurance was about 200 EUR. Of, course, we have had a fair share of suicides (less than 5, but of course we did provide much less troops than other countries) etc, but otherwise those who were disabled were in general cared well by the government.

Admitting to an assault? ;)

Removing the dunce hat? An act of kindness. For women, the earth, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, the law, truth, journalism, gold star families, the disabled, asylum seekers, muslims, murdered journalists, those grabbed by the *****, attorney generals, members of the CIA, FBI and the judicial branch, John McCain, Trump University students, bankruptcy victims, victims of demagogues, people who pay taxes. And for the man, who paints himself in the dim light of Trump's shadow.

Why are the veterans in general homeless? What happened to the parents or other relatives? Isn't it true, that after Vietnam war there hasn't been any wars were you were drafted by law to the army? Or is/was the salary for infantry or tank operator or Hornet pilot in Gulf war, Afghanistan etc. quite low by US standards? If i remember correctly, then the salary for those Estonian infantrymen of were with NATO forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, was about 2500-3000 EUR per month (and it includes quite nice medical insurance). The salary was little bit less that was received by the parliament members. Official minimum salary with country wide public medical insurance was about 200 EUR. Of, course, we have had a fair share of suicides (less than 5, but of course we did provide much less troops than other countries) etc, but otherwise those who were disabled were in general cared well by the government.
Laurie
To be clear there are more homeless people than just veterans, and most veterans are not homeless. It's a complicated problem, but all of the vets I work with have a mental illness, or substance abuse problem. In most cases they have burned family ties, or their families are in no position to help. Some of the homeless vets I know do not have any income from the government, no VA benefits, no social security benefits, and no job. Others have some income. All of the vets I work with have housing because that's what we do, we are a housing first organization. We get them off the street into an apartment and then try to work with them on their individual issues.

The guy I was talking about in my post has no income, and has difficulty staying in his apartment because he hears voices. The voices, and vibrations drive him back out on the street. He is taking his meds, but he feels safer living in a tent in the woods than in his nice warm apartment. His mother is working 3 jobs in California and is in no position to help much. We are waiting for a response from the VA now on benefits for him, but his only income is what little he gets panhandling.

That is the guy who gives a buck or two to strangers in need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app