What's new

Raul Neto is Staying in Spain for 13-14 Season

Just as an aside, I remember another "draft and stash" player the Jazz took back in 1999 but then had play 2 more years in Russia before coming over. And AK had a much more complete resume, even at 18. Now I do agree the Jazz have more roster space, but this is where staggering picks comes into play. Neto gets nearly the same development opportunities without using up years on his rookie contract. In 2014 or '15 when he does come over, it will be like getting an additional, late 1st round pick (or having another valuable trade asset).

A move that was telegraphed 500,000,000 yards a way by every level of Jazz management. When you see something like this coming so obviously, and you don't like it, you should already have your coping mechanisms in place by the time the conclusive moment arrives.

You mean Ricky Rubio, Johnny Flynn & Ty Lawson?

The first PG out of 3 PG's they picked looks to be working out very well for them (all their PG's picked in the first round and two in the lottery). Now the last one they picked they traded to DNV and he also looks to be a good albeit a bit undersized.

Another similarity is one of the PG's stayed playing in Spain for another year and now looks like he could be the best best of the 3.

Yet another similarity is one of the PG's played in the NCAA National Championship and also won the Bob Cousy award before being drafted.

Funny how most everyone (I'm talking most analysts too) ranks Rubio above Lawson -- maybe potentially, but as of now, Lawson is clearly better.

I completely fail to see how this isn't the perfect time to bring him over. So our point guard lineup is going to be Burke/Lucas III/Tinsley(?).....that's brutal. I have never been on the Jazz should bring in Jimmer bandwagon, but I think it's Jimmer time if they get him on the cheap. We're going to need the side distraction that everybody seems to think he'll bring.

I completely fail to see how this isn't the perfect time to bring him over. So our point guard lineup is going to be Burke/Lucas III/Tinsley(?).....that's brutal. I have never been on the Jazz should bring in Jimmer bandwagon, but I think it's Jimmer time if they get him on the cheap. We're going to need the side distraction that everybody seems to think he'll bring.

You had me up until "Jimmer." That word is too vulgar, even for me.

Raul Neto Stats summerleague were about as bad as Trey's. His first game he was good but the rest of the way he was very medicore at best. He has less assists, steals, and rebound than Trey while having more TO (even when adjusting for playing time) so he must have a high amount of fg% right? His fg% was 27.3% Barely better then Trey's also horrible shooting.

I don't think this is the jazz choice. This is all Neto. I see this as the right move for Neto's career. He doesn't want to be stuck behind Burke, could be disastrous for his nba career.

On the other hand, if he stays over seas, and builds a reputation as a top pg, then he can either challenge Burke or get traded. Can't see a better move for Neto at this point, if it were completely up to the Jazz I think they would choose to bring him in now.

Raul Neto Stats summerleague were about as bad as Trey's. His first game he was good but the rest of the way he was very medicore at best. He has less assists, steals, and rebound than Trey while having more TO (even when adjusting for playing time) so he must have a high amount of fg% right? His fg% was 27.3% Barely better then Trey's also horrible shooting.

This, not sure how Neto's legend grew to such heights off one good not great showing in SL.

I don't think this is the jazz choice. This is all Neto. I see this as the right move for Neto's career. He doesn't want to be stuck behind Burke, could be disastrous for his nba career.

On the other hand, if he stays over seas, and builds a reputation as a top pg, then he can either challenge Burke or get traded. Can't see a better move for Neto at this point, if it were completely up to the Jazz I think they would choose to bring him in now.

Maybe. But the problem is that he is going to have to beat out Burke anyway, and Burke probably has more potential to completely flame out this year and give up playing time than any going forward while there are no other good options behind him. I didn't watch the summer league games live so I've been trying to go back and do so if from the DVR and haven't seen them all yet, but if he thinks that is how he is going to be rotated in the regular season, then sure, I can see why he would be cautious. The little 5 minute spurts aren't going to be enough to show his real game.

The comforting thing in Europia is that is that European teams try to squeeze as much out of guys as they can when they are paying them. Two practices a day is a regular thing. Strict schedules. Strict curfews. So it's not a terrible thing if that happens. They'll make him improve if he has it in him to do so, whereas in the NBA I think you've got to have a little more personal initiative to make that happen.

Tinsley? We don't need two washed up vets, one is enough thank you. McNeal looked adequate for a third or fourth guard, and who would you rather get time at the 1; Tinsely or Alec? I think Alec is the perfect change of pace guard for the Jazz even with folks clamoring for him to exclusively play at the 2. Playing the 1 has shown to improve his team game as well. As for Jimmer, he'a already a washed up vet, and he's only been in the league for a few years.........

If it is his choice, fine. He will get better and Jazz wont pay for it.
If it is the Jazz choosing for him to stay there, Im a bit bummed then. With the amount of wins I see ahead this year, every new player and story will make the year easier to bear.