What's new

Rayjon Traded to Cleveland for $$$

Gail made the only smart off-season Jazz move.
I lol’d. She sold high and did well, that’s for sure! And kept a minority interest.

I actually 100% agree with this take even though it was is jest. Gail made a solid financial decision for her future.

It might be one of those 2nd rounders that are likely to never convey.
Why include it then? We sent a player... they have to send something more than cash not us... so they can send us some BS rights or a never conveying second rounder. Would love to get the whole story on this and other trades.

Does anyone know where exactly we stand vis-a-vis the luxury tax? I assume we'd like to get under it, probably more to not have the repeater clock start ticking this year than for the sheer $ of it. But I've seen conflicting stuff about if we're over or if we're now (in place to be) under.

Last edited:
I doubt this deal signifies much, other than that the Jazz weren't going to keep Tucker, and they did him a solid by sending him to the Cavs.

Maybe the Jazz want just a wee bit of wiggle room to offer slightly more than the vet minimum to a player.

I doubt this deal signifies much, other than that the Jazz weren't going to keep Tucker, and they did him a solid by sending him to the Cavs.

Maybe the Jazz want just a wee bit of wiggle room to offer slightly more than the vet minimum to a player.

I hope you're right - this is not the season to have open roster spots. One or two guys get hurt and guy or two gets COVID and all of a sudden you're scrambling.

I’d have no problem with that. My issue is that we’re throwing seconds into deals like they’re tickets to Bees games.

Front office is smart to give out picks that the next front office can’t use.

Bunch of donkeys.

I’d have no problem with that. My issue is that we’re throwing seconds into deals like they’re tickets to Bees games.
I dont mind selling 2nds. They can be easily bought when the time comes. I expect the Jazz to be a very good team for years to come.

I just dont get selling a pick to save 300k, or w/e it was. It just reeks of cheapness. I hope there are more deals to follow that make this more palatable.

Cavs fans think the Cavs are going to waive Tucker and this simply amounts to a small financial move, a favor among friends kind of thing. Cavs will pay Rayjon's $340k guarantee and send the Jazz $110k if I'm reading this right. So Jazz are selling a 2nd-round pick for $450k. Ka-ching!

Last edited:

Makes sense, IF the Jazz are interested in signing Batum. He hasn't signed with anyone yet despite rumors of interest from the Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors. This might give the Jazz the biggest offer? Slightly more than the vet min.

It also might allow them to do a different trade where they send 1 player out and get 2 players back and have roster spots for the new additions.

Someone should tell them they can duck the tax by moving Mike for OP jr... instead of trading our second rounders until 2072... in other news I think I’ll get a custom dark mode jersey with Considerations on the back... first name is Cash.

Only makes sense in two ways -

We've got another guy coming in we'd prefer to Tucker.

Or -

We have another move or two to duck the Luxury tax. Which is meh, I don't think Tucker is the guy to go over for, so I don't disagree, but it woulda been nicer to just get a couple bucks off Clarksons' deal instead.

I dont mind selling 2nds. They can be easily bought when the time comes. I expect the Jazz to be a very good team for years to come.
2nd round picks can be bought... with MONEY.

why are we giving away those second round picks right now? SAVING MONEY.

so you give away money to save money. makes perfect sense. plus i'm sure "when the time comes", the price on 2nd draft picks will be much higher than the money we supposedly just saved.

AND I have serious doubts about the jazz being a good team in the long run as we currently have little to no solution for the moment when Ingles/Bojan/Conley runs out of gas. heck, it's not even known if rudy's gonna be here past 2021. it could've been picks in the 30s that we are giving up

Last edited:
Jazz are wiggling to get under the luxury tax this year, or give themselves a bit of flexibility to avoid being hard-capped.
Well, financially it does but it is the cost. It's not like we are running away from repeater tax. Can't we sign minimum players after waiving Tucker and eating his salary?

I hope you're right - this is not the season to have open roster spots. One or two guys get hurt and guy or two gets COVID and all of a sudden you're scrambling.
it's just the typical jazz FO for you. making one mistake isn't the end of the world. but making a series of more mistakes to cover up for that mistake is.

i'm sure just making one trade to get rid of Conley then this whole **** of money-saiving-my-*** can be avioided, but our FO is just too butthurt to own up to their mistake.

Well, financially it does but it is the cost. It's not like we are running away from repeater tax. Can't we sign minimum players after waiving Tucker and eating his salary?
We are looking at a repeater tax in 2 years if we keep Rudy. Ducking the tax this year would be smart... easier to do if you squeeze JC and Favs a bit... trading Mike for someone is the easiest way to do it.