What's new

Rayjon Traded to Cleveland for $$$

I think this shows that Ryan Smith has a soft heart. He unloaded these players to teams that might use them and he did it at a cost to the team. He didn't have to do that.
I mean something seems soft so you are partly correct

It happened while everyone (who closely monitors the jazz) was waiting and worrying about Rudy’s extension. The silence was broken by this news. Not a particularly good look, if you ask me.
Today is the day I said to start worrying if you don’t hear anything on Rudy. If it doesn’t get done this weekend I think there is some trouble.

Today is the day I said to start worrying if you don’t hear anything on Rudy. If it doesn’t get done this weekend I think there is some trouble.
The fact that it comes to this point of the off-season is another failure of management. They should have known already if they are extending him or not and if not they should have traded him when the market was hot and teams had assets to give for win now pieces.

The fact that it comes to this point of the off-season is another failure of management. They should have known already if they are extending him or not and if not they should have traded him when the market was hot and teams had assets to give for win now pieces.
True

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I’m not 100% sure there. They can extend him during the season too at 120% of his current salary. So they have time even if they want to go into the season.

I’m not 100% sure there. They can extend him during the season too at 120% of his current salary. So they have time even if they want to go into the season.
Do you think he's going to take that type of extension?

A certain someone just got 4/120... after missing 2.5 years of the last 3. In the same period Rudy was 3 time all NBA, 2 time DPOY, 1 time all-star, 3 time first team D. 120% of his current salary will be about as much as Hayward got. That won't sit well with Rudy IMO.

A certain someone just got 4/120... after missing 2.5 years of the last 3. In the same period Rudy was 3 time all NBA, 2 time DPOY, 1 time all-star, 3 time first team D. 120% of his current salary will be about as much as Hayward got. That won't sit well with Rudy IMO.
There are asterisks to every deal. Hayseed got his dollars in basketball purgatory. Rudy will be able to look at the cap sheet for the jazz going forward and decide whether title contention or a purgatory deal matters most to him—here or elsewhere.

So the Cavs waived Tucker. I want to review on this a little bit:

- There was a narrative that we were asset poor and so signing him was kinda like getting a first round pick.

- He didn’t really play so it’s not like we “found out” anything, other than ‘we talkin bout practice.’

- We needed to “act quick” because other teams were hot on his tail.

- None of those teams were hot enough to want to take him for free.

- We had to offload another one of those ‘assets’ to clear his small salary, when it was us having a lack of assets as a driver/justification for signing him (and to guaranteed money) in the first place.

We seem to rationalize a number of decisions “because other teams were after this guy.” The Spurs and TB. NWG and some undisclosed teams wanting to trade for him. Tucker, etc. It seems like there’s at least a small amount of DL having FOMO syndrome, or what other teams are doing seems to impact what he thinks. Or at least we can’t justify a number of our decisions any better than “hey a couple jackass GMs that we otherwise ridicule seem to validate DL’s moves.”

- There was a narrative that we were asset poor and so signing him was kinda like getting a first round pick.

- He didn’t really play so it’s not like we “found out” anything, other than ‘we talkin bout practice.’

- We had to offload another one of those ‘assets’ to clear his small salary, when it was us having a lack of assets as a driver/justification for signing him (and to guaranteed money) in the first place.

We seem to rationalize a number of decisions “because other teams were after this guy.” The Spurs and TB. NWG and some undisclosed teams wanting to trade for him. Tucker, etc. It seems like there’s at least a small amount of DL having FOMO syndrome, or what other teams are doing seems to impact what he thinks. Or at least we can’t justify a number of our decisions any better than “hey a couple jackass GMs that we otherwise ridicule seem to validate DL’s moves.”

The Jazz are asset poor on players under 24, who under 24 has starter potential? Rayjon was tearing it up in G league and worth a gamble. At the time everyone was in favor of this signing. Then a couple things happened, Rayjon sucked in his 160 minutes tallying 5 total assists, 1 total steal, and shooting 17% from 3. The salary cap didn't go up as expected due to covid and things got dicey.

It’s basically the max and he should take it. I know Hayward got paid but he also isn’t coming off a major injury. Rudy isn’t so good that if he tears his Achilles he will still get the bag. He’d be risking 130Mish and for what? No
One else can offer the super max.

As other mentioned it isn’t a great basketball situation either... if Boston offers 100M does he stay... or if Indiana offers it up does he go there instead. I honestly think he gets halfway through his first season and requests a trade...

Someone should tell him teams really want Shaq Harrison.

Reactions: SCS
The Jazz are asset poor on players under 24, who under 24 has starter potential? Rayjon was tearing it up in G league and worth a gamble. At the time everyone was in favor of this signing. Then a couple things happened, Rayjon sucked in his 160 minutes tallying 5 total assists, 1 total steal, and shooting 17% from 3. The salary cap didn't go up as expected due to covid and things got dicey.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the signing. He seemed like the guy that can put up big numbers in the g league because he has the ball a lot but in the big boy league he isn’t used that way.

Hayward isnt Voledmort, you can say his name.

I suspect the Jazz might go prospecting and see what other teams left on the curb.
I wasn’t a huge fan of the signing. He seemed like the guy that can put up big numbers in the g league because he has the ball a lot but in the big boy league he isn’t used that way.
At the time I thought he would get minutes like when the Jazz plucked Cooley, Cotton, Little Sap and Diante Garrett from the DLeague but nada. It also sent a really bad message to the Stars players that you suck so bad that we are signing a guy from a team you beat for the Vegas championship. I am never going to believe another word coming DL's mouth.

Meh, he was an interesting player. I think it was worth a look. I was surprised when he got minutes right off the jump, but he never really looked impactful out there. I think his defense was a disappointment to Utah. He has the tools, but he seemed to jump a lot and be very herky/jerky instead of just sliding his feet. His college stats also suggested he should have been a much more willing and able 3 point shooter. I think you are right about the ball thing. In the final 2 regular season games he played more his style and he put up good stats in those two games. He was kind of like a dollar store version of Donovan.

I'm guessing Oni just clearly surpassed him when they got up close looks at both. Oni seems to have a more natural fit in the Jazz's offense.

I think Rudy will ultimately sign for Jimmy Butler money (4 yrs/$140M), which should be plenty btw.
If Rudy wanted out of Utah, his side wouldn't be negotiating like this. I think Rudy wants to stay and get paid. The main risk with free agents in this scenario is that they want to leave and they just use their incumbent team for some leverage to negotiate somewhere else. I think both sides want an extension to happen, and they're just haggling over the money.

Meh, he was an interesting player. I think it was worth a look. I was surprised when he got minutes right off the jump, but he never really looked impactful out there. I think his defense was a disappointment to Utah. He has the tools, but he seemed to jump a lot and be very herky/jerky instead of just sliding his feet. His college stats also suggested he should have been a much more willing and able 3 point shooter. I think you are right about the ball thing. In the final 2 regular season games he played more his style and he put up good stats in those two games. He was kind of like a dollar store version of Donovan.

I'm guessing Oni just clearly surpassed him when they got up close looks at both. Oni seems to have a more natural fit in the Jazz's offense.
Oni’s game should be fairly easy to plug and play. Tucker almost had to be a 15 ppg guy to make it so the bar is higher imo... unless he becomes a good defender. Tucker has a chance but I was just not a huge believer.

I was fine with the gamble. He makes a lot more sense than NWG.