What's new

RE: the return of the NBA

It will be more safe. They are testing everyone and quarantining them ahead of getting there. Plus they will all quarantine to start with lots of testing. By the time play begins it will be very under control. It's not full proof but it's way better than not doing it.
Agreed, but I have a feeling there will be players who find a way to circumvent the rules. Biggest ego’s have always come out of the nba.

Agreed, but I have a feeling there will be players who find a way to circumvent the rules. Biggest ego’s have always come out of the nba.
Agreed, but it's still better than trying to do this without the bubble. But it has it's flaws.

The only thing that will stop this from happening is public opinion. If the NBA thinks it will hurt the NBA image long term and lose them money they will cancel it.

Cancel the season. Honestly I don't even want it back this way.
Yeah I mean it’s only a couple billion and means we likely lose 2 seasons and have a prolonged cba discussion. That is soooo much better than a quirky finish to the season.

if you don’t want it then don’t watch... but imma guess you’ll be watching just like everyone else.

It will be more safe. They are testing everyone and quarantining them ahead of getting there. Plus they will all quarantine to start with lots of testing. By the time play begins it will be very under control. It's not full proof but it's way better than not doing it.
I know... that’s my point. Some are arguing the bubble isn’t safe... likely will be the safest place for these guys.

Yeah I mean it’s only a couple billion and means we likely lose 2 seasons and have a prolonged cba discussion. That is soooo much better than a quirky finish to the season.

if you don’t want it then don’t watch... but imma guess you’ll be watching just like everyone else.
Yeah because I'm a ****ing addict.

I'm sure heroin users would be far better off if heroin didnt exist, but they wouldn't abstain from doing heroin if it was there.

Yeah because I'm a ****ing addict.

I'm sure heroin users would be far better off if heroin didnt exist, but they wouldn't abstain from doing heroin if it was there.
Basketball ain’t heroin... without basketball you might fill your time with something far worse like reading, spending time with family, or serving in the community or some ****.

I’m hoping the lack of sports will leave me so happy that it is back that I won’t bitch about Donovan shooting another floater or Rudy bobbling a pass or two. I’m sincerely just going to try and enjoy it more.

I’m hoping the lack of sports will leave me so happy that it is back that I won’t bitch about Donovan shooting another floater or Rudy bobbling a pass or two. I’m sincerely just going to try and enjoy it more.
See, if it's gone for another 1.5 years I might get there. I know Im not there yet.

There is a decent chance that the reopening plan in Florida will be an unmitigated disaster. The recent surge is in age group 20-44 years old. Also, the antibodies is those infected become very weak after two months (can be reinfected and destroys the chance of a straightforward vaccine).

I think it is possible that half all the players that go will become infected.

There is a decent chance that the reopening plan in Florida will be an unmitigated disaster. The recent surge is in age group 20-44 years old. Also, the antibodies is those infected become very weak after two months (can be reinfected and destroys the chance of a straightforward vaccine).

I think it is possible that half all the players that go will become infected.

No way... they will test constantly and if there is an outbreak it will affect a couple teams that came in close contact and maybe a few others. One major outbreak... say 15+ cases will likely end the playoff. Is that a disaster? No. You have to try something and they went about it as careful as possible. The alternative of losing two seasons with no attempt to try and play is the disaster imo. Even if the only get in the 8 games they save the tv deals and the players and owners will be able to limit part of their financial loss.

If it works to some degree they may be able to use the same model for a shortened season next year. What if the vaccine isn’t available until 12 months from now... what if the vaccine sucks and it has the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine... do we never try anything to return to some sort of semi-normal life.

I bet you the total cases in the nba outside of the bubble will exceed those that happen once they are in the bubble.

One interesting fact I would like to point out is that each team in the bubble can play no more than three friendly games before the season will resume, and only against teams witch are staying in the same hotel.
IMO this is the proof of the accurate NBA organization...I'm pretty sure they ain't going to leave any stone unturned.

No way... they will test constantly and if there is an outbreak it will affect a couple teams that came in close contact and maybe a few others. One major outbreak... say 15+ cases will likely end the playoff. Is that a disaster? No. You have to try something and they went about it as careful as possible. The alternative of losing two seasons with no attempt to try and play is the disaster imo. Even if the only get in the 8 games they save the tv deals and the players and owners will be able to limit part of their financial loss.

If it works to some degree they may be able to use the same model for a shortened season next year. What if the vaccine isn’t available until 12 months from now... what if the vaccine sucks and it has the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine... do we never try anything to return to some sort of semi-normal life.

I bet you the total cases in the nba outside of the bubble will exceed those that happen once they are in the bubble.

for sure. I'd much rather be in a bubble in Orlando than in the general US population

Well we know that our two best players aren’t going to be out because of COVID. Unfortunately, our third best player will be out for non-COVID.
I think you are saying that because our 2 best players already had the covid but, and correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't it been verified that getting covid doesn't mean you are immune from getting it again? Like hasn't there been cases of people getting covid, getting rid of it, and getting it again?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

i think they should shut down the season. People are talking about the economic loss the players will take but how much money can you make and spend if you are dead.

Look what is happening now, it has only been a couple of weeks and states were doing partial openings and now the infection rate is increasing. Until there is a vaccine it is not safe to be close to other people. Already sports that have opened up are experiencing infections. i can only imagine what happens if one player infects others and one of his teammates die. Who is liable for the death? Lawyers will be happy I guess.
What are the odds of young healthy men in their primes with the best medical care possible available to them dying though? I would say extremely extremely small.

the bubble is likely safer than the general public.

This is a great point that I haven't heard anyone bring up yet.

This is the narrative that the nba should be using when players talk about the risk they are taking.

They will almost certainly be less likely to get covid in the bubble than living their normal day to day lives

I think you are saying that because our 2 best players already had the covid but, and correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't it been verified that getting covid doesn't mean you are immune from getting it again? Like hasn't there been cases of people getting covid, getting rid of it, and getting it again?

Only speculation. There were a couple people reported in China. For the most part, we assume some level of immunity. If this was at all within the realm of reasonable that we knew, and there were even a handful of people getting it again, it’d be plastered all across the news.

I suspect over time you will see scattered reports of this, however, as false positives are still a thing. With over 2.5 million (confirmed) cases, a not-insignificant amount of those will experience some kind of symptoms and go get tested again. With a plethora of tests and we don’t really know the true sensitivities and specificities, even if we assume a test is 98% specific (a really, really generously high number), then you’re going to have 2% of people testing positive who don’t have it.