What's new

RealGM reports Jazz interested in Trading for John Collins

David Hume

I saw this just today. Jazz reportedly interested in trading for Atlanta's John Collins. Any thoughts?

I saw this just today. Jazz reportedly interested in trading for Atlanta's John Collins. Any thoughts?
Noooooooooooooooo. He will ruin the coolness of this team. ATL would probably ask for Markkanen and a first since we have sooo many assets. He would make us worse and more like last years Mitchell Gobert type of unwatchable basketball from last year. I’m enjoying watching Lauri and JC ball, Conley picking apart defenses, Beasley cutting nets, and THT TNT’s and Vando flying all over the court and hitting corner threes.

All Collins would do is accentuate even more what the jazz don’t do well which is defense. He’s not a winning player, he’s all about himself and probably couldn’t even stop Gobert in the post. Lol
I'd rather get a solid backup 1.

Noooooooooooooooo. He will ruin the coolness of this team. ATL would probably ask for Markkanen and a first since we have sooo many assets. He would make us worse and more like last years Mitchell Gobert type of unwatchable basketball from last year. I’m enjoying watching Lauri and JC ball, Conley picking apart defenses, Beasley cutting nets, and THT TNT’s and Vando flying all over the court and hitting corner threes.

All Collins would do is accentuate even more what the jazz don’t do well which is defense. He’s not a winning player, he’s all about himself and probably couldn’t even stop Gobert in the post. Lol
I agree with you!

It made more sense that we were interested in Collins over the summer. Isn't he basically the same type of player as Markkanen? Oversized scoring wing who could play a little bit of 5 in a pinch. It seems like he would be a weird fit with our current roster. Vanderbilt has to start for defensive purposes so Collins would replace Olynyk if he started for us, but he doesn't move the ball like Olynyk. His best fit with us would be as a Rudy Gay replacement but I don't think Collins would be interested in coming off the bench

It made more sense that we were interested in Collins over the summer. Isn't he basically the same type of player as Markkanen? Oversized scoring wing who could play a little bit of 5 in a pinch. It seems like he would be a weird fit with our current roster. Vanderbilt has to start for defensive purposes so Collins would replace Olynyk if he started for us, but he doesn't move the ball like Olynyk. His best fit with us would be as a Rudy Gay replacement but I don't think Collins would be interested in coming off the bench
At least Olynyk can playmake a little bit.

Collins has zero playmaking ability. He's a pretty good 3 pt shooter but needs to be fed the ball which obviously isn't happening in ATL. There has been friction in the past between Trae and Collins because Trae doesn't pass enough. Collins is also a poor defender for a big. Obviously Trae is an awful defender so they just don't mix. Collins also not a great fit next to Capela who is another big who can't create offense.

I don't really see how he fits but if Ainge is in asset collection mode and can get him for cheap I suppose that would be the reason to acquire him. Honestly ATL probably should've traded Collins 2 years ago if they were going with Trae as their franchise player. If I had to make a comparison, and it's really not a great one, I would say Collins is a bit like a bigger, more athletic PF version of someone like Beasley.

I do think Collins would be an interesting buy low candidate. If you can get him for Sexton and filler that would be interesting. Are they willing to sell that low? If imagine theyd want KO ask well?

The thing though is that if you get Collins you either got to move Vanderbilt or move KO to the bench.

I think Collins just hates playing with ball dominant guards, so our offense may suit his personal taste.

I do think Collins would be an interesting buy low candidate. If you can get him for Sexton and filler that would be interesting. Are they willing to sell that low? If imagine theyd want KO ask well?

The thing though is that if you get Collins you either got to move Vanderbilt or move KO to the bench.

I think Collins just hates playing with ball dominant guards, so our offense may suit his personal taste.
You’d have to really think you can unlock some missed potential though. He’s having a trash season and you’d be signing up for 3.5 years at $25m.

You’d have to really think you can unlock some missed potential though. He’s having a trash season and you’d be signing up for 3.5 years at $25m.
I think he is certainly better than Sexton at the very least. Maybe in a more 5 out oriented offense where there more ball and player movement he would thrive. Can't say for sure, don't watch nearly enough Atlanta to say with certainty, but he got worse this year when they added another ball dominant guard

I’m conflicted. I actually like John Collins, but I’m not sure what his fit is with this team. I’m willing to give it a chance - considering how well the Jazz have made out so far with other team’s castoffs.

The Jazz, as currently constructed, have a 1.5 year window before they have to do something. Conley (35), Olynyk (31), Beasley (25), Vando (23), THT (21) and Gay (36) all expire after next year. Clarkson (30) will need an extension because he’s going to opt out. The Jazz should still be focused on adding long term players or draft assets. If they think Collins helps them get better, without giving up any of the future core players. . . they should absolutely look at a trade. I’d prefer to not send out any of their premium picks yet though. Collins doesn’t move the needle like that.

I’m hoping this type of news is more built around setting the stage for other teams to start calling about players the Jazz might consider moving before the deadline.

you mean the cheater? lol the fact the Hawks had to pay him so he didn't walk for nothing, just to recoup value by getting rid of him later.
Sure lets bring in another cast away and let him make the Hawks look stupid lol.
Marky is the future here .Hell he is the NOW.
Collins is available because Okongwu is much cheaper Hunter is still there and Capella is better.
I think he is overpaid and there are a couple other high energy forwards, who maybe will get paid down the road that would be much better to target now for the Jazz at cheaper deals.

Hawks probably want to use Collins to trade up not sideways anyways. I think they try to make a play for KD.

“Another team that has made an inquiry and shown interest in the last weeks and months.”
I’m not going to read too much into it as it doesn’t convey any urgency and sounds like old news. It does project a buyer’s mentality, but not sure who we’d move to match his massive salary. He’s a dog, we could use a real junkyard dog in the starting lineup IMO.

Imagine Vando the energizer disrupter coming off the bench! New sixth man candidate!

Last edited:

“Another team that has made an inquiry and shown interest in the last weeks and months.”
I’m not going to read too much into it as it doesn’t convey any urgency and sounds like old news. It does project a buyer’s mentality, but not sure who we’d move to match his massive salary. He’s a dog, we could use a real junkyard dog in the starting lineup IMO.
I mean if the Jazz really like Collins and Hawks want to part with the Rookie Griffin with him, for more tested vet like JC to fill that role for their playoff piush , and maybe slightly more proven contributor in the same type in Beasley. I can see a small amount of light through that crack. Collins Griffin and a 1st round pick swap in 2023 for JC Beasley and a lottery protected Cavs first