What's new

RealGM reports Jazz interested in Trading for John Collins

David Hume

I saw this just today. Jazz reportedly interested in trading for Atlanta's John Collins. Any thoughts?

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

I saw this just today. Jazz reportedly interested in trading for Atlanta's John Collins. Any thoughts?
Noooooooooooooooo. He will ruin the coolness of this team. ATL would probably ask for Markkanen and a first since we have sooo many assets. He would make us worse and more like last years Mitchell Gobert type of unwatchable basketball from last year. I’m enjoying watching Lauri and JC ball, Conley picking apart defenses, Beasley cutting nets, and THT TNT’s and Vando flying all over the court and hitting corner threes.

All Collins would do is accentuate even more what the jazz don’t do well which is defense. He’s not a winning player, he’s all about himself and probably couldn’t even stop Gobert in the post. Lol
I'd rather get a solid backup 1.

David Hume

Noooooooooooooooo. He will ruin the coolness of this team. ATL would probably ask for Markkanen and a first since we have sooo many assets. He would make us worse and more like last years Mitchell Gobert type of unwatchable basketball from last year. I’m enjoying watching Lauri and JC ball, Conley picking apart defenses, Beasley cutting nets, and THT TNT’s and Vando flying all over the court and hitting corner threes.

All Collins would do is accentuate even more what the jazz don’t do well which is defense. He’s not a winning player, he’s all about himself and probably couldn’t even stop Gobert in the post. Lol
I agree with you!

Friend2bees

2021 Prediction Contest Winner
It made more sense that we were interested in Collins over the summer. Isn't he basically the same type of player as Markkanen? Oversized scoring wing who could play a little bit of 5 in a pinch. It seems like he would be a weird fit with our current roster. Vanderbilt has to start for defensive purposes so Collins would replace Olynyk if he started for us, but he doesn't move the ball like Olynyk. His best fit with us would be as a Rudy Gay replacement but I don't think Collins would be interested in coming off the bench

HeatCheck

It made more sense that we were interested in Collins over the summer. Isn't he basically the same type of player as Markkanen? Oversized scoring wing who could play a little bit of 5 in a pinch. It seems like he would be a weird fit with our current roster. Vanderbilt has to start for defensive purposes so Collins would replace Olynyk if he started for us, but he doesn't move the ball like Olynyk. His best fit with us would be as a Rudy Gay replacement but I don't think Collins would be interested in coming off the bench
At least Olynyk can playmake a little bit.

Collins has zero playmaking ability. He's a pretty good 3 pt shooter but needs to be fed the ball which obviously isn't happening in ATL. There has been friction in the past between Trae and Collins because Trae doesn't pass enough. Collins is also a poor defender for a big. Obviously Trae is an awful defender so they just don't mix. Collins also not a great fit next to Capela who is another big who can't create offense.

I don't really see how he fits but if Ainge is in asset collection mode and can get him for cheap I suppose that would be the reason to acquire him. Honestly ATL probably should've traded Collins 2 years ago if they were going with Trae as their franchise player. If I had to make a comparison, and it's really not a great one, I would say Collins is a bit like a bigger, more athletic PF version of someone like Beasley.

Saint Cy of JFC

I do think Collins would be an interesting buy low candidate. If you can get him for Sexton and filler that would be interesting. Are they willing to sell that low? If imagine theyd want KO ask well?

The thing though is that if you get Collins you either got to move Vanderbilt or move KO to the bench.

I think Collins just hates playing with ball dominant guards, so our offense may suit his personal taste.

Bodhi

Contributor
I do think Collins would be an interesting buy low candidate. If you can get him for Sexton and filler that would be interesting. Are they willing to sell that low? If imagine theyd want KO ask well?

The thing though is that if you get Collins you either got to move Vanderbilt or move KO to the bench.

I think Collins just hates playing with ball dominant guards, so our offense may suit his personal taste.
You’d have to really think you can unlock some missed potential though. He’s having a trash season and you’d be signing up for 3.5 years at $25m.