What's new

Religious Worship and Covid

The Thriller

How has covid affected your religious worship? If you attend church, what changes have been made to safeguard against Covid? My wife and I haven’t attended since March as we have some health concerns. But we’ve enjoyed having the intimacy of a private study session on Sunday and without the stress of callings. There are things we miss obviously. But I’ll admit it’s actually been a lot nicer than I thought.

Whoa jeez. There’s more! Imagine being worried about your religious leaders enforcing masks at church because they’re medical experts during a pandemic or bragging about not wearing a mask in an old person ward.

This is unreal.

9BDD4F99-5E83-4270-AF31-194CD1623ACC.jpeg

C9111085-A123-4F11-8670-58B17B82A801.jpeg

I regularly attend (pre-COVID). Haven't been since March. We've got 5 kids, and while we've still done it at home, it's obviously quite limited. For a couple months they've been doing limited monthly meetings and we haven't attended. Don't have an opinion for or against. We didn't want to mess with the headache of a bunch of young kids wearing masks. We were asked to go last month for my son to participate, but as we were getting ready we discovered that nobody's clothes fit anymore. Something we haven't thought of. Otherwise my wife is in nursery, and my youngest son just went into primary and has some really bad anxiety, so I spent that time working with him, so going to church for us has been going through the motions for a while. Life's been pretty crazy for a while. We've got 4 kids going to three different schools that have different start and stop times, I've been working three jobs, and life is chaotic, so we've enjoyed doing this from home.

I regularly attend (pre-COVID). Haven't been since March. We've got 5 kids, and while we've still done it at home, it's obviously quite limited. For a couple months they've been doing limited monthly meetings and we haven't attended. Don't have an opinion for or against. We didn't want to mess with the headache of a bunch of young kids wearing masks. We were asked to go last month for my son to participate, but as we were getting ready we discovered that nobody's clothes fit anymore. Something we haven't thought of. Otherwise my wife is in nursery, and my youngest son just went into primary and has some really bad anxiety, so I spent that time working with him, so going to church for us has been going through the motions for a while. Life's been pretty crazy for a while. We've got 4 kids going to three different schools that have different start and stop times, I've been working three jobs, and life is chaotic, so we've enjoyed doing this from home.

i can’t imagine what it’s like for our ward. We had something like 300 nursery-primary aged Kids. All I know is that we had 5 nurseries and 2 primaries and the 3 times we went to sacrament meeting, it was hard to hear anything. I think they were getting ready to split the ward. So maybe things are better? But wow, I can’t imagine what It’d be like trying to wrangle kids with masks.

If the pandemic ever ends and we go back to church, it’ll be like we’re new members again as we will have only attended 3 times prior to the pandemic shutdown.

Are you having lessons are home? Are you using the Come Follow Me lessons? Are you going outside? What does your worship look like?

We’ve definitely gone to conference talks on the phone and car rides to try to break things up on Sunday. Staying inside and reading is nice but gets old.

My father is a retired Episcopal priest. His local parish has had troubles keeping a regular priest, so he has often been filling in while they work on hiring a new one. This was the situation when COVID hit. They haven't had service since. Which is a shame for me, because we're planning to bury my son who died on March 1st in the garden they have there, and we haven't been able to.

Are you having lessons are home? Are you using the Come Follow Me lessons? Are you going outside? What does your worship look like?

We’ve definitely gone to conference talks on the phone and car rides to try to break things up on Sunday. Staying inside and reading is nice but gets old.
Previous to COVID we would break the Come Follow Me into short, quick lessons a few times through the week and wouldn't necessarily do anything super structured Sunday. We've shifted a bit where we're doing most of that lesson Sunday and not doing as much during the week. We do sacrament followed by short lesson. Limited attention spans. We have a 12, 10, 6, 4, and 2 year olds so it's hard to keep everyone engaged at the same level. It's also hard to get some of the younger ones to wear clothes.

Our stake (located in the south Davis County) started once a month meetings in July. The way we are doing it right now is every ward in a chapel gets one week a month to have the building. My ward split into two different times, based on last name. We (my wife and I) went that first month because we got a new Bishopric and wanted to be there to see who it was. We also went today because my oldest daughter just got a new calling into the young women class presidency and wanted to be there to support her. We all wear masks everywhere, so obviously we did to church as well. Everyone did. My calling as finance clerk requires me to go to the building and count donations, etc. basically every week anyway, so I might as well go on our week. It is weird only having like 15 families in the chapel for a sacrament meeting. Kind of reminds me of my mission.

Our stake (located in the south Davis County) started once a month meetings in July. The way we are doing it right now is every ward in a chapel gets one week a month to have the building. My ward split into two different times, based on last name. We (my wife and I) went that first month because we got a new Bishopric and wanted to be there to see who it was. We also went today because my oldest daughter just got a new calling into the young women class presidency and wanted to be there to support her. We all wear masks everywhere, so obviously we did to church as well. Everyone did. My calling as finance clerk requires me to go to the building and count donations, etc. basically every week anyway, so I might as well go on our week. It is weird only having like 15 families in the chapel for a sacrament meeting. Kind of reminds me of my mission.
How is being a financial clerk since the advent of online donations? I was FC back like 8 years ago, well before online was an option. Took 1.5-2 hrs each Sunday, if I’m remembering correctly. I’d imagine most people donate online and probably a huge benefit to clerks and bishopric who spend more of their Sunday away from family. It should be criminal to donate in person.

I’m not even kidding, I would move from the US if I could.

We are so politically divided and brainwashed that it’s unbearable some days.

I’m not even kidding, I would move from the US if I could.

We are so politically divided and brainwashed that it’s unbearable some days.

I completely agree with this. I’ve seriously looked at real estate prices in Canada. Seems pretty expensive and I don’t know the first thing about finding another job in a foreign country. But I’m honestly about done here. I’m getting some very early 1930 Germany late 1990 Russia vibes. Our democracy is potentially entering a very dark place and I don’t want to be here when things boil over.

And as a PS, people shouldn’t throw the term Nazis around so much. It makes you look like a fool and not a scholar of history in the slightest.

When the government starts rounding up people based on their gender, race, religion or political views and executing them en masse then we can.

I didn’t know we still had financial clerks seeing how so much is done online now. Interesting.

I completely agree with this. I’ve seriously looked at real estate prices in Canada. Seems pretty expensive and I don’t know the first thing about finding another job in a foreign country. But I’m honestly about done here. I’m getting some very early 1930 Germany late 1990 Russia vibes. Our democracy is potentially entering a very dark place.

Ireland for me. People mind their own business and are pleasant with you.

Imagine being of service to others other than yourself.