What's new

Report: Dame plans to request a trade in coming days

oneye

2018 Award Winner
Not a good thing for the league/small markets that Dame is doing this. For multiple reasons. Dame was kinda the face of loyalty. He also has a 5 year super max he just signed a couple years ago on the books. For teams like the Blazers and Jazz contracts have to mean something and I hope the league/owners push extremely hard to address some of this garbage of contracts being meaningless. One fix on super maxes I’ve heard is, make it 35% of the money, but only 30% of your cap, and put in it that if a player signs it they can’t be traded for the first 2 years of the contract. This is getting a bit ridiculous at this point. If Dame will do it, anyone will do it. Giannis is literally the only one. PS, I’m still open to trading our guy for him.

Who cares. We have our Dame and he’s 6-7 years younger
I think every team should really care Lillard just signed a 5 year super max and is asking for a trade year one of it. Every small market should be terrified of this, and the majority of owners need to make a big fuss in CBA negotiations at this point, because this stuff is getting out of hand.

And the Jazz didn't just hire an alleged rapist as their new head coach. This really blew up in Portland and Dame just wants to leave.

And the Jazz didn't just hire an alleged rapist as their new head coach. This really blew up in Portland and Dame just wants to leave.
Dame was literally a part of that process. All he did there was try to act dumb afterwards and get to the “I had to ask for a trade” point. Anyone who can follow reporting for more than 5 minutes can read Chris Haynes (Dames guy) reporting and see Dame wanted Kidd or Billups. Billups was absolutely one of his top choices and then Dame used the whole fanbase backlash thing as another “reason” once people were upset over the Billups hire.

Good news is now that Dame is setting a precedent, in the event that Donovan re-signs a supermax, oneye can bitch and bitch about how Don will demand a trade a year or two into it like Dame did.

I think there's limited options for Dame and most are in the East. A team like NOP/OKC have a ton of picks they can send back, but he's not going to want to wait.

My guesses would be:

PHI - Simmons and some other pieces/picks would work cap-wise while giving POR something to work with in return. Would cost PHI some good depth that they don't have on their roster

BOS - Have to figure Brown would be part of any trade and probably some expirings/future picks. Boston is fresh out of actual pick assets at this point and I'm not convinced that a Dame/Tatum team is enough to get out of the finals

NYK - Have the cap space, would need to send out a bunch of young players and picks, but Dame would get to be the guy. Could he convince Kawai to opt and team up?

GSW - Curry, Thompson and Dame? Not entirely far-fetched, but POR is going to have to take back Wiggins, ask for Wiseman and want multiple picks. Their tax bill is tremendous and it would give GSW a 3-4 year window for some more championships before they enter a total rebuild.

Good news is now that Dame is setting a precedent, in the event that Donovan re-signs a supermax, oneye can bitch and bitch about how Don will demand a trade a year or two into it like Dame did.
If he signs that extension I'll shutup about it.

I’d be cool with getting Dame out of the Western Conference.

Also, if there’s a fire sale in Portland, let’s get RoCo somehow.

Last edited:
I think there's limited options for Dame and most are in the East. A team like NOP/OKC have a ton of picks they can send back, but he's not going to want to wait.

My guesses would be:

PHI - Simmons and some other pieces/picks would work cap-wise while giving POR something to work with in return. Would cost PHI some good depth that they don't have on their roster

BOS - Have to figure Brown would be part of any trade and probably some expirings/future picks. Boston is fresh out of actual pick assets at this point and I'm not convinced that a Dame/Tatum team is enough to get out of the finals

NYK - Have the cap space, would need to send out a bunch of young players and picks, but Dame would get to be the guy. Could he convince Kawai to opt and team up?

GSW - Curry, Thompson and Dame? Not entirely far-fetched, but POR is going to have to take back Wiggins, ask for Wiseman and want multiple picks. Their tax bill is tremendous and it would give GSW a 3-4 year window for some more championships before they enter a total rebuild.
Something around Jaylen Brown or Ben Simmons makes the most sense.

Hopefully, Jaylen Brown refuses to go to force his way here. :) Maybe Bojan, Clarkson and a couple future 1st rounders???

My only thought is I REALLY hope they trade him to an eastern conference team. I can't stand the thought of him ending up on the Lakers or Warriors.

Zero chance he ends up on the Lakers unless it’s a swap for AD.

Warriors have a ton of assets so that is a scary thought. They could do Wiseman/Wiggins/7/14 plus whatever other future picks Portland would want to get it done.

If there is any way you could pair Dame with Mitchell and keep Gobert, you do it NOW... I would trade Clarkson, Bogie and a pick in a heartbeat...
Sure, but POR is either going to want to get an AS-caliber player in return and/or multiple future assets of a good value to rebuild. Dame can ask for a trade as much as he wants, but his leverage is only his discontent.

Because he really had no good choice but sign it, the next one he's locking himself in when he doesn't have to.
But that's the exact same argument you could and would use if he signs another deal - "he had no choice but sign it because it was more money than anybody else could offer. But the 5th year is a player option so he really hates Utah...."