What's new

Reports in the local media Jazz to re-sign Exum

Rubashov

2019 Award Winner
So reports are circulating locally that Dante Exum is in negotiations to re-sign with the Utah Jazz, I can't link the story so I'm going to cut and paste it.

19/10/21 Los Angeles

Pick and Roll Australia have learned that former Utah Jazz player and recent Houston Rocket is in talks to resume his stalled NBA career with the Jazz. Sources close to the player and team have indicated to Pick and Roll that discussions are under way and a deal is close to being done for the 26 year old. Reports are that the Jazz are high on the young Australian swing man after impressive displays at the Tokyo Olympics this summer and are keen to sign him to sure up their perimeter defence as they look to contended for an NBA title this season.

Exum's NBA career to this point has not lived up to early expectations, after being drafted 5th overall by the Jazz in the 2014 draft, Exum had gone on to average 5.7 points, 2.1 assists and 1.8 rebounds in an injury marred career.

more to follow

Not sure I can really believe it, makes sense I suppose, not sure its a great move for Dante.

I like Dante but we have Butler and Trent is ona favourable 2-way contract. They would take priority. Though both are not the defenders Exum is.

Where are these local media reports? Do they not post them to teh webs in Australia?

Well, The Jazz brought back Ostertag. I guess anything is possible
Not only that, we traded 3 of our first round picks from the previous 3 years to get him back.

Think its a subscriber only story, the website is basically a blog that put up a pay wall like 18 months ago. Ive been reading their **** for years but its very niche.
I’m dying to know what else is included in this “niche.”

I’m dying to know what else is included in this “niche.”

They cover a lot of Aussie players in the NCAA, state junior rep teams and so on. Almost impossible to follow here. The also get a lot of good O/S interviews.

But I’m here for it. I said this previously during the summer that I’d welcome him coming back. My first preference would be Dunn but whatever. As long as we’re keeping some kind of option on the bench. A lot of people saying (now and previously) that it wouldn’t be right for Dante. But why? Is he going to land a spot somewhere else? Psychologically traumatizing?

Here’s the reality:

- Quin has proven he feels no obligation to play him. He won’t be in the rotation (for all you concerned about Butler).

- He will be used the way Oni is.

- Like it or not, he brings more to the table than Oni.

- High chance he may be unavailable a lot of the time. That’s okay because even with Oni available most of the time, that doesn’t make me want him on the floor above alternatives at any point in (important) game time.

- Dante knows the system and knows his role and wouldn’t have to learn to acclimate with very limited opportunities to do so.

- We need someone we could feel comfortable sending out on quick guards for 5-10 minutes on random occasions.

- He can throw a couple lobs to the big guys.

- Hopefully the pie-in-the-sky Exum hype has flamed out to not be an annoying distraction.

So Jazz do have one spot open to sign him
He appears to be a free agent
So when does this happen
There seems to be nothing interfering with signing him

So Jazz do have one spot open to sign him
He appears to be a free agent
So when does this happen
There seems to be nothing interfering with signing him
It may be difficult to determine the veracity of his pulse and his PTSD levels. Could take time.

I like Dante but we have Butler and Trent is ona favourable 2-way contract. They would take priority. Though both are not the defenders Exum is.
I think the Dante as PG ship sailed a while ago.

If he's coming back it would be as a wing