What's new

RIP George Steinbrenner

Jordan's probably not top five, maybe top 10.

I'd put Miller, Rozelle, Arledge, Rasmussen in the top five without a doubt. Then, maybe Fehr. Maybe Knight. Maybe Jean-King. Maybe Jordan. Maybe Flood. Maybe Stern.

Jordan's probably not top five, maybe top 10.

I'd put Miller, Rozelle, Arledge, Rasmussen in the top five without a doubt. Then, maybe Fehr. Maybe Knight. Maybe Jean-King. Maybe Jordan. Maybe Flood. Maybe Stern.

So only one athlete? That's interesting. Unless one of those dudes is athlete I've never heard of. What about Ali?

Good lord, ESPN Radio was brutal today. All I wanted was a little bit of news on the Jazz's trade situations and they spent about 10 straight hours talking about a guy that had just died. I get it, he meant a lot to the world of sports, but let's mix it up a little bit will ya?

The Jean-King dude was an athlete.

So was Jean-Claude Van Damme.

All hail Lionheart.

jean_claude_van_damme_001.jpg

Just want to jump in here and say that this thread is golden...I just woke up from a nap.

I love how Nick came out of nowhere with a proper response.

My brother just forwarded me a text: Now that Steinbrenner is in heaven, will he make Jesus shave and cut his hair?

The one thing you won't hear over the next few days is that the best thing that ever happened to The Yankees was when Steinbrenner was suspended from baseball in 1990. That gave his baseball men (mainly Gene Michael) 3 years to build a team from the ground-up without his meddling - which turned out to be the foundation for all their World Series in the mid to late 90's.

Without that suspension Steinbrenner probably would have bought a few post-season appearances (especially with the expanded playoff format) but they never would have had the dynasty that they had.

My brother just forwarded me a text: Now that Steinbrenner is in heaven, will he make Jesus shave and cut his hair?

Ha - funny story: early in his career during spring training Lou Pinella was called in to George's hotel room. George told him his hair was too long and if he wanted to play he needed to get his hair cut first. Lou asked him if he'd make Jesus get a haircut. George took Lou outside the hotel to the pool area and told him if he can walk across the pool without getting wet then he doesn't have to get his haircut.

So you can text your brother and tell him Jesus is good to go.