What's new

RIP Jerry Sloan

They should design a jersey or put a logo on the court to honor him next season (or imagine a t-shirt in the playoffs that says "for Jerry")

Last edited:
I met Jerry Sloan about 10 years ago in Toronto. I saw him walking by at courtside. I yelled "Coach Sloan!" He looked at me and smiled warmly, stuck out his hand and shook mine and said "Enjoy the game son!" One of the coolest days of my life. Rest in peace Coach Sloan, I love you and miss you, I will never forget you. Jerry Sloan the best coach in NBA history.

I have several memories of Coach Sloan.

WAY back in 1998 when I was a graduating from the "U" a PhD student and a group of 3 or 4 of us were working on legislation that reduced the Federal budget by $100 million or so dollars once it passed.

We were working on generating support with our local representatives and senators and as part of our PR campaign we got Malone and most of the Jazz players to sign a petition supporting the legislation. We got the word out and it was written up in the D News or Salt Lake Tribune.

The day the story was written Bobbeye Sloan and Coach Sloan called the PhD student asking to talk with us. We thought we were in trouble for bugging the team and that Coach Sloan was going to chew us out. They asked very detailed questions, took the time to understand the point of the legislation and said, "kids we want to sign the petition AND we want you to tell us how we can help you." They more than backed it up btw.

What made Coach Sloan so special was he was willing to fight Chris Webber, Dennis Rodman, Jerry Stackhouse, etc for getting physical with his players and the next day make an unsolicited phone call to help out some university students he'd never met. The stories of the kids he and Bobbeye helped in Illinois are legend.

People said he was a throwback, "old school", etc but I think he was one of kind...

Very sad day, Jerry will be missed and the game of basketball misses him. The Jazz teams were a reflection of Jerry Sloan. So much time has passed and when people associated with the Jazz i.e. Larry Miller, Hotrod, Jerry Sloan die it reminds us that life is short. I have so many fond and a few not so fond memories of the Jazz with Sloan coaching them. I always knew no matter what the Jazz would play as a team and play hard. As sad as I am about his passing, I am glad Jerry is no longer in pain. However what a life he lived and Jazz fans got to witness Coach Sloan's greatness, his kindness and his dry sense of humor. Rest in peace, Jerry.

Someone said the best quote earlier. I wouldn't want to be the angel who has to tell Jerry there's no swearing in heaven.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have several memories of Coach Sloan.

WAY back in 1998 when I was a graduating from the "U" a PhD student and a group of 3 or 4 of us were working on legislation that reduced the Federal budget by $100 million or so dollars once it passed.

We were working on generating support with our local representatives and senators and as part of our PR campaign we got Malone and most of the Jazz players to sign a petition supporting the legislation. We got the word out and it was written up in the D News or Salt Lake Tribune.

The day the story was written Bobbeye Sloan and Coach Sloan called the PhD student asking to talk with us. We thought we were in trouble for bugging the team and that Coach Sloan was going to chew us out. They asked very detailed questions, took the time to understand the point of the legislation and said, "kids we want to sign the petition AND we want you to tell us how we can help you." They more than backed it up btw.

What made Coach Sloan so special was he was willing to fight Chris Webber, Dennis Rodman, Jerry Stackhouse, etc for getting physical with his players and the next day make an unsolicited phone call to help out some university students he'd never met. The stories of the kids he and Bobbeye helped in Illinois are legend.

People said he was a throwback, "old school", etc but I think he was one of kind...
My favorite story so far, thanks for sharing.

Some great stories here. I never met Jerry but my brothers friend had a story where he saw him on a plane once and was really nervous about approaching him, but when he did Jerry couldnt have been nicer about it and he got a sweet picture with him. And from everything I've read that was Jerry. He may have been the toughest SOB and admitted that he had a little bit of crazy in him but he had a huge heart too.

This hit me like a sack of bricks. He was a great man. And is a big loss to our jazz fandom. If there is a mount rushmore of jazz its gotta be Jerry, John,Karl, and LHM(I wish I could fit Hot Rod on there but what can you do). Their run was just incredible, I know it didnt end in a championship despite being oh so close, but to be that good for that long is something that will likely never happen again in our lives. John's assist record is something that may last forever as well.