What's new

Rodney Hood's defense -- footwork

Qman

During the Dallas blowout I started to look for something to enjoy watching. And I noticed Hood's footwork on offense is pretty polished. His footwork on defense isn't. On the ball and off the ball he pushes his weight too far forward and he tries to move on his toes. His steps are choppy and if feels like he is thinking a little about foot placement. Hood needs to drill his footwork until it becomes instinctive.

So the good news I think his footwork can be improved- which would help him be as quick on defense as on offense. The bad news it would take a lot of effort and I would have thought that Coach K would have tried to teach these fundamentals.

How good of defender you think Hood can become?

Personally I worried he will decide to be the 'Carlos Boozer' of wing players.

His defensive awareness looked sucky before the Jazz. I mean James Harden sucky. Like a transparent ghost. But he is not a spoiled character like Harden and he is a smart, courageous player. I believe he will be better.

I think Hood will be a decent defender given time. I know he said after he was drafted that he wanted to be a lock down defender. I bet my money on him improving.

His best bet is bulk up like Jimmy Butler did. I don't think Hood is quick enough to guard SGs, so might as well at least have the strength to adequately defend SFs.

Hood played excellent defense during the second quarter of the Rockets game. He has potential to be an above average defender.