What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

Yes, and me bring me and wanting to bring you to my level crushed your hopes and dreams.
Nah, you are more like that little hyperactive kid down the block that follows you around and hangs around the local court while you play basketball, talking endlessly out his *** about all kinds of ****. You know, amusing and annoying at the same time. Just adorable!

Right now OKC can out bid the Jazz in any auction for Luka. Jazz have better picks, but OKC has better young players to include (Williams, Chet, Giddey).
That does not mean all hope is lost! This year and next OKC is likely to use 5 of their first round picks, so after the 2024 draft the Jazz (IMO) can out bid anyone.

I am not in favor of trading everything for Luka. For me, you keep Kessler, Ochai, Lauri, and your own first round picks so that you can fill out the roster going forward. Even keeping those picks, Jazz can put something like 10 future picks in a trade, which is just crazy.

If we traded for any star I would ensure we don’t put Lauri or Walker in the deal. Unless we traded for a center. We have enough draft capital that should entice someone… any team trading a star is rebuilding so adding those guys isn’t necessarily what the acquirers will be after.

Also not worried about Luka with regard to OKC. Not really sure why they’d want to pair him with SGA. I’m pretty down on Luka… he’s tremendous but a lot of this is on him.

I did see Shams saying there will be some real convos on Dame this summer… watching him grift for fouls last week was annoying… but if the price was right that is the right mix of star/roster fit/market fit. It’s one that because of age and contract I would be fine being outbid on.

The more I think about star trades the more I think I'm willing to build organically... don't get me wrong we should make trades and sign FAs, but I might have them be lower level trades than pushing a pile of picks in for Dame, Luka, Beal, Brown. Draft smart, sign a FVV or Reaves or something in those tiers/ranges, make trades if they are Kevin Huerter or Dejounte Murray type price ranges.

Right now OKC can out bid the Jazz in any auction for Luka. Jazz have better picks, but OKC has better young players to include (Williams, Chet, Giddey).
That does not mean all hope is lost! This year and next OKC is likely to use 5 of their first round picks, so after the 2024 draft the Jazz (IMO) can out bid anyone.

I am not in favor of trading everything for Luka. For me, you keep Kessler, Ochai, Lauri, and your own first round picks so that you can fill out the roster going forward. Even keeping those picks, Jazz can put something like 10 future picks in a trade, which is just crazy.
Pardon me, but… ****ing duh? I don’t know why anyone is under the assumption that either anyone is suggesting we trade those players or that the franchise would. The whole point is to get better and trading everything you’ve built makes absolutely no god damn sense.

Sorry to jump down your throat, you’re just not the first person to suggest that this organization is the Kings.

We can take or leave Luka, the offered package would be some players but mostly picks.

Pardon me, but… ****ing duh? I don’t know why anyone is under the assumption that either anyone is suggesting we trade those players or that the franchise would. The whole point is to get better and trading everything you’ve built makes absolutely no god damn sense.

Sorry to jump down your throat, you’re just not the first person to suggest that this organization is the Kings.

We can take or leave Luka, the offered package would be some players but mostly picks.
If we traded for any star I would ensure we don’t put Lauri or Walker in the deal. Unless we traded for a center. We have enough draft capital that should entice someone… any team trading a star is rebuilding so adding those guys isn’t necessarily what the acquirers will be after.

Also not worried about Luka with regard to OKC. Not really sure why they’d want to pair him with SGA. I’m pretty down on Luka… he’s tremendous but a lot of this is on him.
The main reason the Jazz got the players they did in the Gobert and Mitchell trades was to match their max salaries.

I’m not saying the returning players don’t have value, but they were the ballast, they weren’t the main targets.

I expect a Mavs trade to be similar. However, the Jazz might not necessarily have to salary match which is different (and better for all parties).

The main reason the Jazz got the players they did in the Gobert and Mitchell trades was to match their max salaries.

I’m not saying the returning players don’t have value, but they were the ballast, they weren’t the main targets.

I expect a Mavs trade to be similar. However, the Jazz might not necessarily have to salary match which is different (and better for all parties).
And Wolves were not offering Jaden Mcdaniels in the deal… cuz they needed him. If we did get Luka or Dame we’d need to keep Lauri and Walker or we’d become a version of the teams that traded them. It’s picks or nothing… and we are cool with nothing.

Luka looks like me running up the court on defense... I am 40 and logged zero minutes as an NBA player. Its amazing what he can do... imagine if he got 100% committed to being an athlete.

A Luka trade would be amazing, but I fear a double stupid trade with NOP for Zion. Some smoke around Zion -> Dallas.

My #1 target next year is prying away Patrick Williams from the bulls but wouldn't go higher than 2 picks for him.

I think he is the perfect compliment with lauri and Walker.

I can nearly guarantee Sexton is eventually packaged in a trade for a star.
I'm sure a 6'1'' combo guard who can't stay on the floor will go a long way toward getting a star.

Sexton has played pretty well this season when he's been able to, but come on now. We may throw him in as a sweetener but he'll never be one of the main pieces in a trade like that.

We only have two of those: Lauri and Kessler.

Last edited: