What's new

Rotation And Role

I’d be willing to bet large sums of money that we do not do any trade that compromises our cap space this summer unless it gets us the player we want to sign. So if Tobias or Niko become available we go ahead and trade now. If Otto becomes available we do that.

If we trade AB it will be for a similar expiring contract and maybe a second rounder.

We want to try and be a player in free agency. If we strike out we may take a one year salary dump deal for a first at that point.

You are probably right, but I think we are making a very large mistake for not being aggressive (not now but closer to the deadline). If we don't trade one of our three large expirings (AB, Favors, Rubio), we are just watching probably 2 or all 3 of them leave with the hopes that we sign a few free agents that might even listen to us.

I just don't think we are
A - going let our guys go (primarily Rubio and/or Favors) for the sake of pursuing others
or
B - a destination for Tobias, Niko or others since they either stay or take more money than we want to spend

We are drafting very, very well right now. I think we should be using Burks to get a pick, or pick swaps, and go for 2020 cap space.

Last edited:
You are probably right, but I think we are making a very large mistake for not being aggressive (not now but closer to the deadline). If we don't trade one of our three large expirings (AB, Favors, Rubio), we are just watching probably 2 or all 3 of them leave with the hopes that we sign a few free agents that might even listen to us.

I just don't think we are
A - going let our guys go (primarily Rubio and/or Favors) for the sake of pursuing others
or
B - a destination for Tobias, Niko or others since they either stay or take more money than we want to spend

We are drafting very, very well right now. I think we should be using Burks to get a pick, or pick swaps, and go for 2020 cap space.

And I think that opportunistic still there if we miss our targets in FA. Do that deal at that point.

I've liked Snyder's rotations for the most part. I like Burks in the 2nd unit. I've liked what I've seen from Exum.
I'm impressed with Niang and think he and Burks should get a few more minutes. I like how coach staggers things with always having one or two starters out there.

It does seem like most of the team has not settled in and there are a lot of missed open looks, but the plays are getting them the looks.
If more minutes go to Burks and Niang, they should come from O'neale and Rubio.

I think it's been a slow start so far, but many things look good.

And I think that opportunistic still there if we miss our targets in FA. Do that deal at that point.

We don't have any assets that we want to trade if we wait until summer. I would not trade Mitchell, Ingles, Grayson, Gobert, O'Neale, Crowder, Exum or Niang. So really, our only trade assets if we wait to summer would be Bradley and picks.

Our trade assets are our expirings. It would be a shame to let them all expire and not find anybody in the summer. We would probably then just recycle again by picking up Favors' option, signing Rubio to an overpriced 1+1 with an option (much like Favors) and maybe bring back Udoh and Thabo on 1 year deals.

How different would our outlook on this stuff be if Jonas hadn't tipped in that shot?

Snyder coaches a cerebral system... we may have to get used to slower starts because of that.

I'm really hoping for a successful road trip... if only because I want to continue to participate around here and it'll be unbearable if we don't.

We don't have any assets that we want to trade if we wait until summer. I would not trade Mitchell, Ingles, Grayson, Gobert, O'Neale, Crowder, Exum or Niang. So really, our only trade assets if we wait to summer would be Bradley and picks.

Our trade assets are our expirings. It would be a shame to let them all expire and not find anybody in the summer. We would probably then just recycle again by picking up Favors' option, signing Rubio to an overpriced 1+1 with an option (much like Favors) and maybe bring back Udoh and Thabo on 1 year deals.

Ummm we can do a straight trade into our space... those expirings turn into space. It isn’t a wasted asset at all. Last year it was but this year is different.

How different would our outlook on this stuff be if Jonas hadn't tipped in that shot?

Snyder coaches a cerebral system... we may have to get used to slower starts because of that.

I'm really hoping for a successful road trip... if only because I want to continue to participate around here and it'll be unbearable if we don't.

It would be so much different. Although the people (and by the people I mean me) would still want more Niang.

LoPo.... offers a billion weird trades.... doesn't even know how cap space works.

I think we will be opportunistic but salary dump plus a pick is plan C or D or Z.

Here is the question I've had hanging out in my mind... it's late January and DL gets a call from Cleveland. They offer Love for straight expirings... maybe we toss Tony in there to help them with the PR selling the trade (hey we got this young guy). It's a deal that would presumably be there in the offseason too (cap space for Love).

There is a lot to like about Kevin... there are also some things to not like (health, defense, contract). If you did it now it would allow you to focus FA on retaining Ricky (assuming he starts to shoot better) and we could operate above the cap and use the MLE if we wanted to... can do that if we wait until the summer.

I wish the NBA had a try it before you buy it policy with players. I'd like to see what he could do when paired with a good coach and system. I really wish they would not have overpaid him... I think he would have loved to sign here and the deal would have been more reasonable.

I'm not advocating for the trade I just think it is a real possibility.

Burks for a contract that expires in 2020 and a 1st is a very smart deal to pursue. There are a few teams out there who are willing to make that deal. Maybe not now, but there will be. Hell, we might even be able to pluck a pick or two out of this Houston trade if we were to include Burks and take back Knight.

We should stay aggressive.

You don't seriously think we're going to get a player AND a first round pick for Burks do you? We couldn't even get a first round pick for Hood and Johnson last year.

Last edited:
I really like the roster he has put together
I do too, but to be fair a decent amount of that was really luck. Taking a flier on a 27th pick and a 13th pick who had probably more than equal chances of flaming out who then proceeded to way over-perform. I think they have collectively had a good eye, but I agree with Strop to some degree. I think in today's NBA you really need to make bold moves to get to a higher level, unless you are content with the moral victories of harassing teams that are just out of our league. I still hope there is a bold move in our future. One more star, budding star, even high 2nd-tier guy next to Rudy and Mitchell would put us in the next level.

You don't seriously think we're going to get a player AND a first round pick for Burks do you? We couldn't ever get a first round pick for Hood and Johnson last year.
I think Burks is turning himself into a better prospect than either of those 2. Hood was showing signs of real confidence issues on the floor, and Johnson was really on the tail end of his career. AB is setting us up for a decent return. Now of course we are not getting some kind of good player and a first, but one or the other, or maybe a 1st and filler, or something, or a decent player and a 2nd, etc. might be in the cards.

I think Burks is turning himself into a better prospect than either of those 2. Hood was showing signs of real confidence issues on the floor, and Johnson was really on the tail end of his career. AB is setting us up for a decent return. Now of course we are not getting some kind of good player and a first, but one or the other, or maybe a 1st and filler, or something, or a decent player and a 2nd, etc. might be in the cards.

Huh? At the trade deadline last year Hood was our second leading scorer at around 16ppg and playing significant minutes in a 6th man role for us. Burks is averaging about 5.5ppg and the last couple of games he's only managed to stay on the floor for about 5 minutes. Why in the world are teams gonna view him as a better prospect than Hood? If we couldn't get a first for Rodney then there is no way in hell we'll get one for Burks.

Last edited:
With all due respect HH, you really think DL is going to let Rubio, Favors, Udoh and Thabo walk in the summer so we can have space to trade for Mahinmi and a 1st? Thats not realistic at all for us.

This is why you trade Burks closer to the deadline for a deal that expires in 2020 and an asset. If Tobias Harris becomes available at the deadline, we could also look at trading for him using Burks and/or Favors and our picks.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think they are bringing along Exum slowly. I think his minutes go up as the season progresses. It's just great to see him out there attacking, and healthy.

It'll be harder to dish out minutes once Thabo comes back. Lots of pressure on some of those guys to perform to get minutes.

Exum is scoring a bit but he's inefficient and he doesn't make his teammates better. His play is a product of what others bring.

I like what I see compared to the past though. Now if he would just quit shooting three bricks.

Exum is scoring a bit but he's inefficient and he doesn't make his teammates better. His play is a product of what others bring.

I like what I see compared to the past though. Now if he would just quit shooting three bricks.

If anything, his play is a product that is attributed to himself.

He doesn't need help getting to the rim from any of the Jazz teammates.

I agree with almost all of the other things you mentioned, except that he does have some the ability to make his team better, especially our bigs, Favors in particular.

Role wise, I'd like to see Rubio Nash it and pass it a little bit more. I thought that's when the entire team turned the corner last year, but he hasn't really been doing it this year.

Yep, Rubio's ability to get the offense going was possibly a bigger factor than getting Rudy back from injury. Utah was a bad team to start the year even with Rudy. We were either hot or cold offensively and had a hard time winning at all when cold. Rubio being able to Nash when our shooters were off was a big reason for the turnaround, and definitely something that seems underutilized this year. To be fair though, Rubio was pretty bad to start the season, and can't get us going if his mid range jumper isn't falling. Hopefully we'll start to see more Ricky like we saw against the Pelicans.

LoPo.... offers a billion weird trades.... doesn't even know how cap space works.

We aren't going to clear a bunch of cap space for this summer by letting Rubio and Favors walk just to trade for a bad contract to pick up a pick. You trade the expendable player near the deadline (Burks) AND have the chance to keep Rubio and Favors this summer if we want. Sure, if you get a bad contract you can't sign a big free agent in the summer, but when was the last time we signed a big free agent any summer? Boozer in 2004?

Closer to the deadline look at deals that expire in 2020; Burks for Mahinmi and the Wiz 1st for example. You have to know the cap to know that the Wiz are repeater tax offenders AND Mahinmi's contract gets in the way of matching any contract Oubre gets this summer.