What's new

Rotation And Role

LoPo

Just over a week into the season against varying level of opponents, Quin is starting to set a template for what playing time might look like. Let's discuss minutes per player and what changes to their role while on the court.

My thoughts:

Rubio 28
Mitchell 36
Ingles 32
Favors 24
Gobert 32
Crowder 30
Exum 20
O'Neale 15
Rest of Bench 23

Rubio - I'd keep him starting for confidence sake, but limit him to 28mpg. He's averaged 32mpg the last 3 and I just don't think he's earned that extra 4-5 minutes.

Mitchell - he's playing 36 mpg which seems right. He needs to lead the offense more like he did last night. He had 7 assists while he was averaging 3apg coming in.

Ingles - he played his fewest minutes against Houston (31) and he seemed fresh when we needed him at the end. He averaged 36mpg in the first 3 games, but I think 32mpg is ideal. Keep doing what you're doing Joe.

Favors - keep him starting for now and 24 mpg (what he's done so far) is plenty.

Gobert - I don't think it's wise to play him 35 mpg. I think 32mpg is ideal. Use Favors more at C and PF minutes will filter down to Crowder and SF minutes to O'Neale, Burks, etc.

Crowder - he's playing just over 30 mpg. Seems a bit high, but his ability to play PF and SF really helps us. Now we know why our FO and coaching staff wanted him as long as they did.

Exum - he's at 18 mpg and had only 15m against Houston. I think he's earning 20mpg the way he's playing and Rubio should drop those minutes for Exum. As for role, we really need Mitchell, Exum and Ingles to share the court for more minutes. When Exum and Mitchell are on the court, we can alternate who initiates offense. I think Exum struggles facilitating everything when Mitchell and Ingles are sitting. If Exum keeps outplaying Rubio, I could see them both going 24mpg by December.

O'Neale - after playing 7 minutes against Sac, he played 11 against GS and Memphis until 17 last night. Defensively, he's doing great. Offensively, he's capable of hitting spot up 3's. We need to get him planted and waiting for a pass because he isn't fluid off the bounce. If we could create a role similar to Bruce Bowen, Ariza, or Iguodala for him, he could become an essential player for us. 15mpg seems right if Crowder plays more PF so Favors plays more C so Gobert can rest a little.

Rest of Bench: Quin doles out the remaining 23mpg the way he sees fit each night. 23 minutes is a good amount of time to split primarily between Allen, Burks, and Niang in terms of development and guys like Thabo and Udoh in terms of need. Maybe we get to a point where Allen is playing a guaranteed 6-8mpg, but it doesn't seem like he's earned that quite yet. When we finally play some of the easier teams in the league, our "essential 8" will get more rest allowing the deeper bench to get minutes.

I think they are bringing along Exum slowly. I think his minutes go up as the season progresses. It's just great to see him out there attacking, and healthy.

It'll be harder to dish out minutes once Thabo comes back. Lots of pressure on some of those guys to perform to get minutes.

I was surprised that with over two minutes to go and the game in hand Quin left the starters in till the end. Donovan especially expended a ton of energy and I thought he'd want to get him off the court. Maybe it was because our next game isn't until Saturday night.

I like your breakdown but would love to see Dante get more minutes. Seems like a good time to try it with Ricky struggling. Although I agree that Ricky should remain the starter. Also Royce seems less effective than last year. He's done almost nothing offensively. We know who Alec is but we don't know exactly who Grayson is. Depending on match ups Grayson needs to be given more opportunity ASAP. Niang too.

Quin is in a tough position with O'Neale, Allen, Niang and Burks. And with Thabo coming back it gets even harder.

OP nailed it imo. I have nothing to add.
Great post LoPo and good thread.

I want to see Exum out there with the starters more often. I worry a bit about spacing but it's not like Rubio is putting the fear of god into teams with his shooting right now

I think
Mitchell
Exum
Ingles
Crowder
Gobert

Would be my betting favorite to be our best line up in terms of net rating, maybe by a lot.

If Thabo plays like he did last season, I'd expect him to absorb most of those 23 leftover minutes once he returns. Personally I like the idea of putting Crowder into the starting lineup over Favors, minutes staying about the same, think it could help us get out to stronger starts.

If Thabo plays like he did last season, I'd expect him to absorb most of those 23 leftover minutes once he returns. Personally I like the idea of putting Crowder into the starting lineup over Favors, minutes staying about the same, think it could help us get out to stronger starts.
I don't think Thabo is not going to help this team. He will get time when he comes back, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months he is only getting 10 mpg. He is old, and never was much of an offensive threat.

Role wise, I'd like to see Rubio Nash it and pass it a little bit more. I thought that's when the entire team turned the corner last year, but he hasn't really been doing it this year.

I want to see Exum out there with the starters more often. I worry a bit about spacing but it's not like Rubio is putting the fear of god into teams with his shooting right now

I think
Mitchell
Exum
Ingles
Crowder
Gobert

Would be my betting favorite to be our best line up in terms of net rating, maybe by a lot.
I tend to agree

I'd like to seen an experimental line-up with Mitchell at the 1, Burks or Grayson Allen at the 2, with Ingles at the 3. Ingles and Mitchell would alternate primary handling responsibilities. This would open up the floor nicely, since our 1, 2 and 3 can all shoot off the catch or off the bounce out to 28 feet, and this would create plenty of space for Rudy or Favs to roll to the rim. So far, defenses are sagging back on us because they know that Rubio and Dante won't shoot unless it's a last resort on a play.

Having triple-threat guys at both guard positions puts maximum pressure on the defense and helps get us in a position to score sooner. This side-to-side, "blender" stuff has been a strategy for a team that lacks shot creators, but the Jazz actually do have several shot creators now, assuming they get on the floor together.

I'd like to see O'neale's minutes evaporated :)

Royce has struggled and is fouling too much but I don’t view him as being super disruptive to the offense. Slow start but I like what his game was last year and like what he can grow in to.

It would be interesting to see what we’d look like for a couple weeks without Rubio or Favs... don’t want them to get hurt just think it’d be interesting

I don't think Thabo is not going to help this team. He will get time when he comes back, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months he is only getting 10 mpg. He is old, and never was much of an offensive threat.
All we really need from him is solid D and a decent spot up 3. Everything we would get beyond that is gravy.

I want Burks to get as much burn as he can to hopefully flip him for an asset

Sent from my SM-N960U using JazzFanz mobile app
Don't hold your breath. Lindsey is a tire-kicker. Every season since he's been in Utah he talks about having financial flexibility. And every year he's either made a minor move or none at all. Summers are even worse; he hunts for bragins and acts surprised that top and mid-tier free agents are getting paid handsomely on the market.

Jazz are stuck. DL will survey the landscape; the top FA's will naturally sign elsewhere and Lindsey will mutter the same old phrase about liking who we have, team chemistry, internal growth, etc.

Don't hold your breath. Lindsey is a tire-kicker. Every season since he's been in Utah he talks about having financial flexibility. And every year he's either made a minor move or none at all. Summers are even worse; he hunts for bragins and acts surprised that top and mid-tier free agents are getting paid handsomely on the market.

Jazz are stuck. DL will survey the landscape; the top FA's will naturally sign elsewhere and Lindsey will mutter the same old phrase about liking who we have, team chemistry, internal growth, etc.

I really like the roster he has put together

I love our team and I think we can play with anybody, but GS and Houston will be so incredibly stacked for the playoffs if this Houston trade goes down. We would be very unwise to just let Burks expire. He is not a negative asset anymore. He represents a large expiring contract and a player who could help the bench of a wannabe contender. After development, I think we could be just as good in 2019-20 without Rubio, Favors and Burks as we are this season with them. In other words, we don't have to have a big summer free agent to keep our ball rolling.

Burks for a contract that expires in 2020 and a 1st is a very smart deal to pursue. There are a few teams out there who are willing to make that deal. Maybe not now, but there will be. Hell, we might even be able to pluck a pick or two out of this Houston trade if we were to include Burks and take back Knight.

We should stay aggressive.

I’d be willing to bet large sums of money that we do not do any trade that compromises our cap space this summer unless it gets us the player we want to sign. So if Tobias or Niko become available we go ahead and trade now. If Otto becomes available we do that.

If we trade AB it will be for a similar expiring contract and maybe a second rounder.

We want to try and be a player in free agency. If we strike out we may take a one year salary dump deal for a first at that point.