What's new

Rotation Issues and Egos

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
So we are getting healthy. Joe Johnson and Hood coming back, so which one of our guys is losing minutes. Thabo, Jerebko, Neto, Burks have all played well.

This is where the ego managing we are doing is going to hurt us. It has been said we have to start Rubio and Favs or they will check out mentally... so basically their egos dictate that they need playing time. Locke mentioned that we can't leave a healthy Joe Johnson on the bench and he can't just get 8-9 minutes a game.

Neto is likely out of the rotation now... but finding 35-40 minutes for Hood and Joe Johnson is difficult. Ingles can play a little less. AB can play a little less. Ricky can play a little less. Thabo is right around 20 minutes a night I guess he could lose a couple minutes. That gets you about 20-25 minutes.

I think this is the primary reason that we may need to make a trade soon as managing the minutes/egos and keeping everyone engaged is a tall order for Quin and takes his focus away from winning games. I think a trade is coming to help clear the logjam, but we might want to have certain guys take turns on back to backs to play fresh guys more and avoid having an 11 man rotation.

So we are getting healthy. Joe Johnson and Hood coming back, so which one of our guys is losing minutes. Thabo, Jerebko, Neto, Burks have all played well.

This is where the ego managing we are doing is going to hurt us. It has been said we have to start Rubio and Favs or they will check out mentally... so basically their egos dictate that they need playing time. Locke mentioned that we can't leave a healthy Joe Johnson on the bench and he can't just get 8-9 minutes a game.

Neto is likely out of the rotation now... but finding 35-40 minutes for Hood and Joe Johnson is difficult. Ingles can play a little less. AB can play a little less. Ricky can play a little less. Thabo is right around 20 minutes a night I guess he could lose a couple minutes. That gets you about 20-25 minutes.

I think this is the primary reason that we may need to make a trade soon as managing the minutes/egos and keeping everyone engaged is a tall order for Quin and takes his focus away from winning games. I think a trade is coming to help clear the logjam, but we might want to have certain guys take turns on back to backs to play fresh guys more and avoid having an 11 man rotation.

I imagine a lot of Johnson's minutes will come from Jerebko.

One note about the whole situation, that I think is at least worth keeping in mind, is that for Favors this has a huge impact on his next contract, not just his ego. I think this is a factor, on one hand, because, even if the Jazz and Favors are going different directions, I think they still want him to do well. Additionally, they are trying to establish the franchise image as a place that is good for players. Tanking a good player's value in a contract year isn't a good political move, on that front.

Once JoeJ is 100%, Favors needs to be traded. With his injury history and probability of leaving in the off-season, I think we have to trade him when his value would seem to be at its highest.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

The JJ side of it is easy. He can be brought back gradually, if he earns more min over someone else, his expiring contract can easily be traded to a contender
I agree. But once he is 100%, I do think the ego thing could come into play. Favors stands to lose a ton of minutes especially since Rubio, Favors and Gobert don't seem to work and Rubio will find his minutes easier.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't think you can start Jesus yet. Ask him if he wants to be here/if he would be comfortable with a trade. Do right by the man.

If Favors is really out the door, get the **** on the phones in two days.

Start AB so Hood can ease into things.

As far as minutes distribution, ****, IDK. Hood should be on a restriction for some time.

I'm tired.

I imagine a lot of Johnson's minutes will come from Jerebko.

One note about the whole situation, that I think is at least worth keeping in mind, is that for Favors this has a huge impact on his next contract, not just his ego. I think this is a factor, on one hand, because, even if the Jazz and Favors are going different directions, I think they still want him to do well. Additionally, they are trying to establish the franchise image as a place that is good for players. Tanking a good player's value in a contract year isn't a good political move, on that front.

Agree on the Favors part, but I wish he realized that there aren't a ton of teams that need a starting center and even less that will pay what he'd like in his next contract. Even if he comes off the bench I don't think it truly hurts his negotiating power this offseason.

I don't think you can start Jesus yet. Ask him if he wants to be here/if he would be comfortable with a trade. Do right by the man.

As far as minutes distribution, ****, IDK. Hood should be on a restriction for some time.

I'm tired.
Just want you to know that I have been enjoying your uptick in posting frequency.
I enjoy your posts and appreciate them. Thanks.
I hope you continue to post often .

The JJ side of it is easy. He can be brought back gradually, if he earns more min over someone else, his expiring contract can easily be traded to a contender

I think Thabo is more likely to be moved to a contender. Floor spacing is nice and iso scoring is good, but few contender need what he brings and the size of his contract makes it tough to fit. I think we may let JJ play out or move him as part of a bigger deal, but the trade to a contender (maybe a playoff team though like Denver) is not in the cards. A contender would likely love him as a buyout candidate.

I'm tired.

I don't think Favs is with us past Jan 16th. If we didn't do a deal before year end I would assume we are doing Favs for Mirotic swap... Just can't put out team and coach in this position long term.

Favs has been a good soldier too... deserves a decent home.

I don't think Favs is with us past Jan 16th. If we didn't do a deal before year end I would assume we are doing Favs for Mirotic swap... Just can't put out team and coach in this position long term.

Favs has been a good soldier too... deserves a decent home.
Agreed.

Still would really like to see the starting lineup:

Mitchell
Burks (maybe Hood after he's settled in and maybe healthy)
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

To see if the improved spacing and less ball-sticking can make the Favors + Gobert thing work. Even if it's just enough to keep winning games and improve Favors productivity.

You'd have Hood, JJesus, and Rubio anchoring the second unit and Favors playing with them plenty as the 5. Jerebko and Sefolosha lose the most minutes, but get a lot more on one end of a back-to-back where you just sit JJesus and Hood altogether.

Whatever happens, it will be fascinating. I believe that the Jazz value depth more than most teams. So, where one team would only invest in 7 rotation players, the Jazz invest in 11 or 12. The Jazz also value a flexible salary position. For those two reasons, I think it's VERY possible that the Jazz don't trade Favors.

Also, trading players for a pick has to be handled properly or it sours players against your team. If Favors were discussed in trades, it would have to be handled by talking to Favors about it and being professional. Get his input on it. If you send him to Chicago for Mirotic, it would have to be done in a way that Favors feels well treated.

I think he would understand the reasons and be professional about it too. But for those reasons, I think we are about a 40/60% odds on trading Favors/not trading Favors even if we get a draft pick out of it.

Whatever happens, it will be fascinating. I believe that the Jazz value depth more than most teams. So, where one team would only invest in 7 rotation players, the Jazz invest in 11 or 12. The Jazz also value a flexible salary position. For those two reasons, I think it's VERY possible that the Jazz don't trade Favors.

Also, trading players for a pick has to be handled properly or it sours players against your team. If Favors were discussed in trades, it would have to be handled by talking to Favors about it and being professional. Get his input on it. If you send him to Chicago for Mirotic, it would have to be done in a way that Favors feels well treated.

I think he would understand the reasons and be professional about it too. But for those reasons, I think we are about a 40/60% odds on trading Favors/not trading Favors even if we get a draft pick out of it.

I agree with this to a point. You definitely don't need to be discussing it with Favors before trading him. Definitely let him know before you leak it, but telling him before anything is solidified could be risky and mess with his head. Honestly since he is on the last year of his deal you aren't really screwing him over by trading him anywhere. As long as he gets minutes he'll retain and maybe improve on his FA value. I do agree that it's possible that the best move will be not to trade Favors. For example if the Jazz can't make a trade without bringing back a non-expiring player it might not make sense to be tied down. There might be a sweet spot in there somewhere where the Jazz take on an extra year of salary, punt on this coming offseason FA class, and get a first round pick in some package deal for Favors. But the ideal to me would be either getting a piece that fits right now (unlikely) or getting a draft pick to let DL do his thing.

I'd rather talk about rotation issues and Eggos. The classic waffles are alright but have you tried the french toast? And did you know they have breakfast sandwich Eggos?