What's new

ROY of the year Race

Just posting this again since the season is almost over. When games matter the most in the 4th here is what both rookies do:
Points Assists Rebounds FT% Steals Blocks TOV PF +/- OFF Rating Def Rating Net Rating Usage
Simmons 3.9 1.6 1.9 55.3 0.5 0.1 0.8 0.8 -0.2 106.5 107.8 -1.3 21.3
Mitchell 6.4 0.8 1.0 79.0 0.4 0.1 0.8 0.8 +1.7 112.7 101.1 +11.5 38.1

I wish there was a better way to put these stats in. They always just get jumbled when I post them after lining them all up.

Simmons still gets more assists and rebounds than Mitchell but everything else is greatly in Mitchells favor or at least tied. The biggest thing is that +/- and net rating. Simmons is a big positive in those areas all game but negative in both.

Again Simmons puts up his best stats and most of his stats in the 1st quarter. Mitchell is very quiet to start games but when his team needs him the most he takes games over. He is a huge positive in his net rating in the 4th and positive in his +/-. Its Simmons lowest usage quarter but by far Mitchells highest. Which is even more impressive that the TOV are the same for the 2 players.

This isnt to take away from Simmons but to show the difference. Rookies dont do what Mitchell does. There have been very very very few rookies ever to completely take games over in the 4th on a consistent basis like he does. Most rookies who put up good stats do so early in the game like Simmons. Also according to these defensive stats Mitchell is a better defender in the 4th by a significant amount despite Simmons being the better defender the first 3 quarters.

Thats the reason Mitchell deserves it. Clutch stats also favor Mitchell. Simmons despite getting sent to the FT line a lot on purpose late in close games puts up way less points. Mitchell scores more than Double the points in the final 5 minutes when games are within 5 points. That is mostly because Mitchell is the primary scorer and is the most important player on his team on offense and Simmons is 4th in the clutch. Which again isnt a knock on Simmons just a fact that Mitchell is much more impactful on his team winning when it matters in the 4th and clutch.

Mitchell probably wont win but he deserves to.

Both players are having unbelievable seasons worthy of winning the award. I wholeheartedly believe Donovan Mitchell should win the award because I believe he has the tougher role. Donovan is the go-to guy offensively for the Jazz. The ball is in his hands when the game is on the line. He takes the best punch from every defense. And it doesn't matter, he thrives. Simmons isn't that guy. He's never forced out of his comfort zone. He's mainly a distributor. He passes to the open guy, gets easy rebounds due to his size advantage and only takes good shots. He hasn't had games where he's forced to carry the scoring load.

I would be fine with a Co-ROTY result as well. I do not like ties. But in this specific instance I would be fine with it. Both have had historic seasons and it feels wrong to snub one or the other.

That said, I expect Simmons to win because it's all about media hype. And if that happens I will probably be extremely frustrated. I'm tired of our guys getting shafted in award races.

Is anyone else considering that Donovan Mitchell will have an entire offseason to digest what he's done and how amazing it is? I think 90+% of human beings would, even if they were able to be as humble as DM while it was happening, come back with arrogance and entitlement. I see Donovan Mitchell and I see a person with the incredible foundation and philosophical perspective to come back still humble, still hungry and still ready to be the player his team needs him to be. There is no passiveness in that, there is only strength. Only the best of us can overcome the adulations and admiration and still be the worker, the climber, the fighter who continues to look up and try harder. I believe we have the unique specimen who can and will do that. I believe Donovan Mitchell is actually looking beyond, far beyond, a ROY award.

Can you imagine being the team that drafted Michael Jordan? I can. I have watched Donovan Mitchell's rookie season. I have watched his interviews.

Take Note! Donovan Mitchell has arrived.

Is anyone else considering that Donovan Mitchell will have an entire offseason to digest what he's done and how amazing it is? I think 90+% of human beings would, even if they were able to be as humble as DM while it was happening, come back with arrogance and entitlement. I see Donovan Mitchell and I see a person with the incredible foundation and philosophical perspective to come back still humble, still hungry and still ready to be the player his team needs him to be. There is no passiveness in that, there is only strength. Only the best of us can overcome the adulations and admiration and still be the worker, the climber, the fighter who continues to look up and try harder. I believe we have the unique specimen who can and will do that. I believe Donovan Mitchell is actually looking beyond, far beyond, a ROY award.

Can you imagine being the team that drafted Michael Jordan? I can. I have watched Donovan Mitchell's rookie season. I have watched his interviews.

Would rep, bulletproof drinks the Kool-Aid.

My koolaide had a little something extra in it last night.

I wonder if people realize that points in the first quarter are just as important and count as much as points in the fourth quarter?

Silly, rabbits.

I wonder if people realize that points in the first quarter are just as important and count as much as points in the fourth quarter?

Silly, rabbits.

I'm not sure I have the numbers to argue, but it would seem to me the best defenders would be playing more minutes in the 4th quarter, and the game intensity of any semi-close games would be at it's highest.

Do you disagree?

Donovan will take his offseason and strive to become even greater than he is and come back more amazing than he was this year. Donovan won’t lose himself, I truly believe that. Anything’s possible, but Donovan has exceeded every expectation of what a 21 year old can be. The kids so great, and I truly believe he will always be that same guy no matter the amazing stardom he’s about to ascend into.