What's new

Royce O’Neale Contract Extension

9mil per year would be right around Royce true value, which is a good deal. He could easily exceed the 9mil value in the next 4yr if he up his scoring by just a little like what Matthews did for Portland

JFC is getting more than that.
I’m not sure... Lou Will got less... will be interesting... I think his last deal was viewed as an overpay and bad money... I think that is close to where he ends up unless someone gets wild.

The market is tight. I think Royce could have gotten $11M or $12M/year, but I'm not sure another team would have given him a 4th year. So it's a fair deal both ways, imo.

The market is tight. I think Royce could have gotten $11M or $12M/year, but I'm not sure another team would have given him a 4th year. So it's a fair deal both ways, imo.
Yeah be interesting to know if there's any sorta player or team option on the 4th year we gave him

This is why Bradley and Davis for Meyers Leonard makes too much sense. Helps both teams and Davis can still play in Miami.

Helps Miami get under hard cap by quite a bit. We shave $8.5M off next year’s books, plus get a playable rotation piece.
I think the trade machine is busted on that. The salary does not match.

This is why Bradley and Davis for Meyers Leonard makes too much sense. Helps both teams and Davis can still play in Miami.

Helps Miami get under hard cap by quite a bit. We shave $8.5M off next year’s books, plus get a playable rotation piece.

We don't really need another shooter We need someone who can defend the rim off the bench and roam the paint on offense. Meyers Leonard ain't that. I mean Ed Davis SHOULD be able to do that job, but for some reason he ceased being able to. Bradley is just fine at it for the regular season. The playoffs get more worrisome.

If we could find a way to jettison Davis for nothing next off season, maybe we could get Favors for the full MLE + sign Clarkson. for 13-14 million. That should keep us out of the salary cap and we keep Bradley who can continue to develop. Maybe by the end of the season he will grow to the point we can just use the MLE money to sign Mudiay.

9 million per year for a high level 3&D wing is bargain. Good deal for the Jazz. And congrats to Royce, he earned this.

I think the trade machine is busted on that. The salary does not match.
If you go plug in those two guys in other scenario for guys with the same salary as Leonard, it works. If you take guys from other teams who make as much as Bradley and Davis and they can be swapped for Leonard. All I know is that the trade machine has been thought to have many obvious flaws in the past, but months later people discover why it’s said what it has. In any case, do you make that deal?

We don't really need another shooter We need someone who can defend the rim off the bench and roam the paint on offense. Meyers Leonard ain't that. I mean Ed Davis SHOULD be able to do that job, but for some reason he ceased being able to. Bradley is just fine at it for the regular season. The playoffs get more worrisome.

If we could find a way to jettison Davis for nothing next off season, maybe we could get Favors for the full MLE + sign Clarkson. for 13-14 million. That should keep us out of the salary cap and we keep Bradley who can continue to develop. Maybe by the end of the season he will grow to the point we can just use the MLE money to sign Mudiay.
I’m proposing sending him out for “nothing” now. It just happens to come with a guy that gives your bench some options. You still get a defensive 5 off the scrap heap for this season. But both those option, even by themselves, beats the hell out of the status quo.

Is there any evidence from Miami that would lead us to think that they want to solve their cap issues by dealing us a starter for two guys many Jazz fans would argue are barely rotational quality players at best at this point in their careers -- two guys that likely wouldn't be in the Heat's rotation?

Is there any evidence from Miami that would lead us to think that they want to solve their cap issues by dealing us a starter for two guys many Jazz fans would argue are barely rotational quality players at best at this point in their careers -- two guys that likely wouldn't be in the Heat's rotation?
They’re hard capped and this deal cuts $4.5 million off the books. They can’t even sign minimum salary guys. I still believe Ed is a good player. Then they get a cheap backup for next year in Bradley, or whatever everyone here keeps insisting.

They’re hard capped and this deal cuts $4.5 million off the books. They can’t even sign minimum salary guys. I still believe Ed is a good player. Then they get a cheap backup for next year in Bradley, or whatever everyone here keeps insisting.

They still have Olynyk, who I think they'd play over Ed & Tony. I'm not sure why getting a 3rd & 4th string center for their roster would be their first (or even grudging) choice for dealing with their cap issues. I'm sure they'd explore and prefer many more possibilities.

I assume they are as invested in maximizing this year's team as we are. Given the choice of giving up a starter for non-rotational players vs. staying in the tax as they are, I'm not sure why they'd go for the former.

Great. It's a good deal for Jazz, result of giving Royce a chance, developing him and having great chemistry between the players.