What's new

Royce O’Neale Struggles

Elizah Huge

Respect All, Fear None
Contributor
2024 Award Winner
I’m not sure what Quin is seeing but Royce has been getting torched on defense all season. He isn’t as good of a defender as a lot of you think and he just can’t guard guards. He just can’t.

Getting harder to defend him. See what I did there...

The problem is worse because he has to defend guards, which he has always been bad at, but right now he’s no better than the other liabilities.

He’s still a plus defensively because of his rebounding and the little things he does, but he isn’t a stopper by any means. If Royce is guarding the ball, it means we have 4 liabilities around Gobert.

Getting harder to defend him. See what I did there...

The problem is worse because he has to defend guards, which he has always been bad at, but right now he’s no better than the other liabilities.

He’s still a plus defensively because of his rebounding and the little things he does, but he isn’t a stopper by any means. If Royce is guarding the ball, it means we have 4 liabilities around Gobert.

He doesn’t know how to defend against screens. If I was any team playing us I’d pick-and-roll us to death with the primary ball handler being whoever Royce is guarding.

He doesn’t know how to defend against screens. If I was any team playing us I’d pick-and-roll us to death with the primary ball handler being whoever Royce is guarding.

Yup. He’s terrible at getting around screens and he likes to body up his man. But that doesn’t work when the other guy is significantly quicker than you.

Like I said, I still think he’s a good asset defensively. He plays a very useful role for his team. But his role can’t be to defend quick guards.

Unfortunately we have two tiny guards who can’t/won’t play a lick of defense.

Again, we wouldn't be asking a SF/PF tweener Royce to defend opposition's guards in a mismatch if our own guards can actually D up.

To be honest, 2 of the triples were on Gobert more than Royce.

He's a serviceable defender in the right situations.

What he's being asked to do, both in last year's playoffs and in several games this season, is setting him up to fail.

This problem goes back to last season and last years playoffs. He just gets completely cooked by guards. That's his role on the team, to defend the other teams best wing or guard and I'm just not sure he's a good enough defender to handle it. Time to give Shaq a try.

This problem goes back to last season and last years playoffs. He just gets completely cooked by guards. That's his role on the team, to defend the other teams best wing or guard and I'm just not sure he's a good enough defender to handle it. Time to give Shaq a try.
Shaq is a better defender than Royce but Quin will refuse to see it

Shaq is a better defender than Royce but Quin will refuse to see it
Guys... Shaq has to prove himself before he can get a chance... can’t skip steps.