What's new

Rubio is not the answer going forward

Really weird to post this after what I think was his best game yet. He does need to take care of the ball better but I tend to think that Rudy being ineffective in not on Ricky. Teams have figured out how to play Rudy and the test is if he can adjust. Back to Rubio, I am more than willing to give him a lot more time. If he can keep his midrange game going I think he will be great for us.

Really weird to post this after what I think was his best game yet. He does need to take care of the ball better but I tend to think that Rudy being ineffective in not on Ricky. Teams have figured out how to play Rudy and the test is if he can adjust. Back to Rubio, I am more than willing to give him a lot more time. If he can keep his midrange game going I think he will be great for us.

Not his best game at all. Sure, he scored and made 3-pointers but part of Rudy's problem is Rubio, in my opinion. He dribbles way too much and bogs down the offense on the half-court sets. Yes, he's good at pushing but the Jazz were having problems getting any offense in the third quarter until Quin took him out. I stand by what I said. He played poorly in both the Suns and Lakers games in my opinion.

Other than TOs, which will get better with time, I've been happy with Rubio.

First it was Mitchell. Now it's Rubio. Soon it will be Gobert if he doesn't start averaging 18-14-3 in about a week. Knee-jerk reactions are just common at the start of the season.

The Orlando Magic lead the East and the Memphis Grizzlies are atop the Western conference. The Cavs are terrible and have 3 losses already in 6 games. The Jazz are tied for the 7th best record in the West with three more teams, and just 1 game behind the Curry-Klay-Durant-Green Warriors. Give these guys time.

So far Rubio is averaging 16-6-8-2 per 36 on solid efficiency, plus excellent D for the most part. I'll take it. The only thing he needs to do is get his TOs back to the mean, and that'll happen as soon as there's better chemistry in the team and he stops forcing a few plays (as it's been evident with the Gobert pnr).

Threads like this are why I hardly come here anymore tbh

Ricky has arguably been our best player this year so far.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like Rubio more than Hill. He actually plays basketball

Actually, Rubio is trying to become a poor-man's Hill. The pre-injury version of George Hill would be a perfect fit on this year's Jazz team: 20 pts/per on 50% shooting and very few turnovers.

There is merit to the OP's post. With the Jazz building around Gobert, they need 4 shooters. Hood is the only real threat - and he's been inconsistent. I realize Ingles has that glossy shooting %, but he's not a volume shooter. Also the reason I think the Jazz can't keep Favors. There just isn't enough offense on the floor.

Yes, there's merit to the excuse that Rubio is forcing the ball in to Gobert. But even at that, Rubio's passes have often been low or behind the head of Rudy. And that doesn't explain a lot of Rubio's other careless TO's. I've been very unimpressed by him. Maybe we're seeing why Minnesota was so anxious to bring in a different PG and trade Rubio.

Obviously not going to happen this year, but I could see a scenario where Utah brings in another shooter and Mitchell plays a lot of minutes at PG. Prior to the start of the season, Quin had a quote about NOT playing Donavan at PG because he didn't want to put that pressure on him. Well, that's changed already. DM is the future. And if he COULD play point, that's a big plus if the Jazz can add another 3PT shooter to the lineup.

Actually, Rubio is trying to become a poor-man's Hill. The pre-injury version of George Hill would be a perfect fit on this year's Jazz team: 20 pts/per on 50% shooting and very few turnovers.

There is merit to the OP's post. With the Jazz building around Gobert, they need 4 shooters. Hood is the only real threat - and he's been inconsistent. I realize Ingles has that glossy shooting %, but he's not a volume shooter. Also the reason I think the Jazz can't keep Favors. There just isn't enough offense on the floor.

Yes, there's merit to the excuse that Rubio is forcing the ball in to Gobert. But even at that, Rubio's passes have often been low or behind the head of Rudy. And that doesn't explain a lot of Rubio's other careless TO's. I've been very unimpressed by him. Maybe we're seeing why Minnesota was so anxious to bring in a different PG and trade Rubio.

Obviously not going to happen this year, but I could see a scenario where Utah brings in another shooter and Mitchell plays a lot of minutes at PG. Prior to the start of the season, Quin had a quote about NOT playing Donavan at PG because he didn't want to put that pressure on him. Well, that's changed already. DM is the future. And if he COULD play point, that's a big plus if the Jazz can add another 3PT shooter to the lineup.

I disagree. Hill needs a more dominant playmaker/scorer next to him. This Jazz team he would have to do way too much. Rubio and Hill really play nothing alike.

Mitchell is not a point guard

I disagree. Hill needs a more dominant playmaker/scorer next to him. This Jazz team he would have to do way too much. Rubio and Hill really play nothing alike.

Didn't mean they play alike. It was in reference to Rubio trying to score more. Last year the playmaking was distributed across the PG and the wings. This year, IMO, Rubio is trying to do too much. Jazz need ball movement and to have more shots come off screens. Which, BTW, is a problem I see with this year's version of the Jazz. Players aren't utilizing the screens. They often dribble away from them. Last year, Rudy was what, 2nd in the NBA in screen assists? Hayward was often the beneficiary. This year, I've seen few screen assists because just about everyone is a reluctant shooter and, as mentioned, they just aren't using the screens.

Hill was a scorer and a great shooter. Rubio is not. Hill would have been that 20 pt scorer the Jazz need, and seen as a definite 3PT threat. Rubio is just allowed to take 3's as he's a poor shooter. His volume has increased about 3.5 shots over his career average. Not a whole lot, but still at very low efficiency (41%/31%). And his TO's have nearly doubled. Let's not kid ourselves: Rubio is playing like a lower-tier starter. It's only been six games and most of his teammates have also been offensively-challenged. Hayward is SORELY missed. I think it's pretty evident DL needs to make some changes, whether it be at the deadline or this summer.

Mitchell is not a point guard
Then why has Quin been playing him as a PG for significant stretches?

As Carbon 13 pointed out, there are a lot of different styles. Why do we all wax nostalgic for John Stockton? The game has changed. Besides, that excuse of "pure PG" was always a bit of homerism to classify Stockton as better than Magic. He wasn't. Johnson could simply take over games. Stockton rarely could. It's no offense to John. It's simply a fact that he had limitations and was never a scorer. And so Hot Rod and others said he was a "pure PG."

Mitchell brings the ball up the court. He attacks the defense by trying to penetrate and find the open man. If no one collapses to stop his drive, he can take it to the hoop and score. When the defense sags off, he makes them pay by hitting the open three. Sounds like a PG to me.

And I'm not saying he's "there" yet. He's a rookie and still making a lot of mistakes.

Didn't mean they play alike. It was in reference to Rubio trying to score more. Last year the playmaking was distributed across the PG and the wings. This year, IMO, Rubio is trying to do too much. Jazz need ball movement and to have more shots come off screens. Which, BTW, is a problem I see with this year's version of the Jazz. Players aren't utilizing the screens. They often dribble away from them. Last year, Rudy was what, 2nd in the NBA in screen assists? Hayward was often the beneficiary. This year, I've seen few screen assists because just about everyone is a reluctant shooter and, as mentioned, they just aren't using the screens.

Hill was a scorer and a great shooter. Rubio is not. Hill would have been that 20 pt scorer the Jazz need, and seen as a definite 3PT threat. Rubio is just allowed to take 3's as he's a poor shooter. His volume has increased about 3.5 shots over his career average. Not a whole lot, but still at very low efficiency (41%/31%). And his TO's have nearly doubled. Let's not kid ourselves: Rubio is playing like a lower-tier starter. It's only been six games and most of his teammates have also been offensively-challenged. Hayward is SORELY missed. I think it's pretty evident DL needs to make some changes, whether it be at the deadline or this summer.

Rudy is 3rd in screen assist per game this year, so it's business as usual. Udoh's 2.8 per game are the highest on a per minute basis in the NBA. So maybe what you are saying is bogus?

And I disagree on Rubio "playing like a lower tier starter". He has had issues with turnovers. That's his only real problem right now. He is still a top defender and he is still finding shooters who are open. Just because Rudy is being covered and bumped more doesnt mean Rubio can't pass. Rudy just isnt as open as he was last year.

And Rubio has been a scorer. He gets to the foul line 4 times per game and he has a go-to reliable scoring move.

And like I've said on every over-reaction post, you can't judge shooting numbers this early in the season.

Rudy may still be 3rd, but he is at 2 less screen assists per game so far (6.2 vs 4.2). So I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation on your part.

According to these numbers anyway (https://stats.nba.com/players/hustl...ir=1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season)

I have also been watching how many times players dribble away from the screens. Now I may not have played college ball, but I certainly know what you do when a player sets a screen. And by dribbling away and not around, you also negate the roll for Rudy. It's something manyh have criticized AB for doing. But - and this is only the eye test - it appears to me it's a problem for a lot of others. Are the Jazz committed to running P&R with Rudy or not?

Remember when we had high hopes for this team?
Now I'm hoping for nagging injuries for key players so the Jazz can get a higher lottery pick. Half the team needs to be taken behind the barn and put out of their misery.

You really crying I negged a post where you hoped for injuries to Jazz players?

cry me a river bish.

And in case you didnt know, negs aren't me saying you can't have an opinion, it's me saying your opinion is especially bad (and in this case distasteful).