What's new

Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

wow, what a thread, ahah. interested to see where
123s7qa.jpg

ends up

wow, what a thread, ahah. interested to see where
123s7qa.jpg

ends up

He's in the hole, with Curtis Borchardt on deck, and Jon Amaechi up to bat. Curtis and Fes are really close together though and it is possible that Gobert could pass both in the same game.

Who is going to start the "Dante Exum, countdown to the greatest Jazz PG of all time" thread?

Who is going to start the "Dante Exum, countdown to the greatest Jazz PG of all time" thread?

I'm waiting for the Enes Kanter, greatest Jazz PF of all-time thread.

When does Gordon Hayward pass AK47 as the greatest SF in the history of the Jazz?

Go to any NBA team, find their 29th best center over the last 40 years. I bet you don't find much difference from Ike Austin.

You're probably right. But most teams during that time may have had just a handful of starting 5's. In 40 years the Jazz have basically had Eaton, Ostertag, Okur and 100 others (not counting Favors/Kanter - whichever you consider the center). The 5 hasn't exactly been a spot of stability for the Jazz.

You're probably right. But most teams during that time may have had just a handful of starting 5's. In 40 years the Jazz have basically had Eaton, Ostertag, Okur and 100 others (not counting Favors/Kanter - whichever you consider the center). The 5 hasn't exactly been a spot of stability for the Jazz.

Al-Jefferson.jpg

I'm curious to see how you considered Tom Chambers and Antoine Carr in the early 1990s. Both played a lot of center (out of position) alongside the Mailman for the Jazz, so I think they should be on this list.

I'm curious to see how you considered Tom Chambers and Antoine Carr in the early 1990s. Both played a lot of center (out of position) alongside the Mailman for the Jazz, so I think they should be on this list.

Carr is, Chambers is not. I went with the classifications given to me by nba.com. Carr played a lot of c/f throughout his career, whereas Chambers did not. I had to have some sorting mechanism to define "center" so I picked one and went with it. I loved me some Tom Chambers playing on the Jazz though.

Thanks, fgcamel. Big omission not including Jefferson as I was typing. Point is, the Jazz have had a ton of 5's (or 4/5's) that have come in and played just 1-3 years. GM's have really done a lousy job evaluating bigs over the years. Seems like a "throw them against the wall and see if they'll stick" approach. Unfortunately almost all have been huge busts (pun intended).

What brings this home is that, by the end of the year, we could have 3 of the top 20 Jazz centers of all time on the same team. And not that one was "developing" into that position in historical retrospect, but was actually ranked at that position. That would be difficult for any other franchise to pull off.

Carr is, Chambers is not. I went with the classifications given to me by nba.com. Carr played a lot of c/f throughout his career, whereas Chambers did not. I had to have some sorting mechanism to define "center" so I picked one and went with it. I loved me some Tom Chambers playing on the Jazz though.
I enjoy all the obscure facts you post with each one. Makes the thread very interesting.

Gobert needs a combination of points, rebounds, blocks, steals, and assists to total more than 16 in the next game in order to pass John Amaechi on the list. So 7 points 7 rebounds 2 blocks and an assist should do it. . .

So Gobert is dead balls even with John Amaechi. Needs just one stat of any sort to finally put that guy behind him.

I just wonder if any of the old jazz centers follow this thread.