What's new

Rudy Gobert selected to third team All-NBA

This is huge. Are we offering a super max deal? Happy for him but it kind of sucks from a financial flexibility point of view. Adds more pressure for acquiring that 3rd piece now

This is huge. Are we offering a super max deal? Happy for him but it kind of sucks from a financial flexibility point of view. Adds more pressure for acquiring that 3rd piece now

Glad for him but the supermax element isn’t great obvi. Had towns made it his contract would have gone up a bunch. I think Wall has taught us not to offer the supermax too early... I think we have to wait until next offseason right?

I tried to avoid it but I just can't.

For as much as I love Rudy Gobert, his trade value has to be at an all time high right now right? He's DPOY, All NBA and has two very friendly years left on his deal ($25 per season).

I do not, under any circumstance, want to give Rudy a supermax contract. I'm not even sure I want to give him the regular max contract of $33+ million per year.

Kemba now also eligible for a supermax. Charlotte should let him walk. His name looks good on the same team as Gobert’s...

Somehow I feel Rudy might be the kind of player who realises that a supermax will only hurt his chances of winning a title here.

I tried to avoid it but I just can't.

For as much as I love Rudy Gobert, his trade value has to be at an all time high right now right? He's DPOY, All NBA and has two very friendly years left on his deal ($25 per season).

I do not, under any circumstance, want to give Rudy a supermax contract. I'm not even sure I want to give him the regular max contract of $33+ million per year.

It puts the franchise in a tough position. He is a reasonable man so he may accept regular max with 8% raises to stay.

They also may change the cba or amend it so that the excess amount doesn’t count against the cap or tax... it helps teams retain the guy by giving money but isn’t an excess penalty.

The worst part is GS of course wins again because Klay can’t get super max which would cause some constraints for them going forward... boo cba makers.

Somehow I feel Rudy might be the kind of player who realises that a supermax will only hurt his chances of winning a title here.

He’s a thoughtful dude. I’m not sure he’s give back money thoughtful but I think we could convince him to pass on it and give him 5 years or some other comp. I think the conversation happens next year so if he refuses to work with us you can always move him if you don’t feel he is worth it.

He’s more than just our best player though... he’s embraced the market and team concept... great leader... I just think I’d choose to pay him if it came down to it... even if it is a bad deal. Either way I’d always be a Rudy Stan.

5 years $247 million? Holy s*** that's almost $50 million a year.

Last edited:

5 years $247 million? Holly s*** that's almost $50 million a year.

Just more absurdity to the notion of "hey, it's not do-or-die this summer, we've got plenty of time, and besides, Karl and John took 10 years to reach the finals so let's be patient!"

He’s a thoughtful dude. I’m not sure he’s give back money thoughtful but I think we could convince him to pass on it and give him 5 years or some other comp. I think the conversation happens next year so if he refuses to work with us you can always move him if you don’t feel he is worth it.

He’s more than just our best player though... he’s embraced the market and team concept... great leader... I just think I’d choose to pay him if it came down to it... even if it is a bad deal. Either way I’d always be a Rudy Stan.
It makes this offseason all the more important, if only to show Rudy we’re moving in the right direction.