What's new

Rudy Gobert sucks at basketball

Okay, well, I mean... Shawn Bradley averaged double-doubles in the 90s (who has a 20.4 BMI compared to Rudy's 25.1). But, since the numbers game couldn't support Mutombo>Rudy argument, I guess we can pivot that argument to the less-testable theoretical realm.

Let's see if we can contextualize any numbers in a way that would illuminate the theoretical.

Mutombo's career points per 36 minutes is 11.5.
Rudy's career points per 36 minutes is 15.

30% more.

The 90s? Okay,

The average points scored per game over the course of Mutombo's career is 98.1.
The average points scored per game over the course of Gobert's career is 107.6.

Scoring is up 9.7%.

Should we correct for pace?

Per 100 possessions, Mutombo scored 16.7 points.
Per 100 possessions, Rudy scored 20.9 points.

Rudy scores 25% more per possession.

Offensive rating per 100 possessions?
Rudy 127
Dikembe 111

eFG%?
Rudy 65.4%
Dikembe 51.8%

This reminds me of a discussion Michael Scott had with an Indian guy when he worked at a call center. The Indian guy had a lot of work ethic and was showing up Michael, which led to the following discussion:

Vikram: I was a surgeon back home.
Michael Scott: Really?
Vikram: Yeah.
Michael Scott: Wonder what I would've been back home.
Vikram: Well, this is your home.
Michael Scott: I know, but I mean, it's so competitive here. What's the dollar worth in your land? Medical school must've cost, like, 40 bucks or a donkey or something.
Vikram: Uh, no.
Michael Scott: I would've been chief of surgery.

I bet Mutombo would be averaging 20 ppg in this era. Dat jump hook doe.
Good post. Rudy is better than mutombo on offense and defense imo (talking primes)

And Michael Scott is the GOAT

I reckon he gets pushed around an awful lot by bigger, stronger 4s and 5s. He's not gonna get anywhere near as many looks within 3 feet.
Shawn Bradley was 235 lbs vs. Rudy at 258 lbs. Rik Smits was 7’4” and 250 lbs. Brad Daugherty was 7’0” and 245 lbs. Even Mutombo was 7’2” and 245, being both taller and lighter than Rudy. There are many arguments to make against Rudy, both offensively and generally, but this one really doesn’t hold up, even when generously applying any kind of correction formula.

I reckon he gets pushed around an awful lot by bigger, stronger 4s and 5s. He's not gonna get anywhere near as many looks within 3 feet.
There's also going to be a lot more layups and midrange shot attempts for more rebounds near the rim. More looks. Less quality. Easy 10

So the title, although meant really more metaphorically and in comparison to other current NBA players, is ridiculous on the face of it. Remember the videos of Brian Scalabrine just completely dismantling even objectively "good" basketball players. Players that had juco, even full university and even g-league experience, and this all after he had been retired for several years and the fat was catching up with him. Rudy objectively does not "suck" at basketball.

Not sure one post about Olynyk offsets a million about how much you hate Gobert.
Watch your insults that's all I'm saying.
You have strong emotions for Gobert but don't insult others who have a right to share their opinion about him.