What's new

Rudy got the Rona

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic of covid, omicron, etc:

Everyone within reason (that’s 99% of people) should be fully vaxxed, boosted, and wear masks in public indoor spaces indefinitely. No real downside to that. But people simultaneously need to understand that covid at that point is almost certainly non-lethal, and that getting a breakthrough case with recent-enough vaccination will have an incredibly low chance of significant complication and will render them more immune for it.

At a certain point, people are going to have to acknowledge some of the basic realities of how this is playing out, with some jettisoning their conspiracy horse-**** and others tamping down their hysterical fear despite doing everything within reason correct.

As this relates to the NBA, it is equally asinine for players to not be current on their shots.

Last edited:
On the topic of covid, omicron, etc:

Everyone within reason (that’s 99% of people) should be fully vaxxed, boosted, and wear masks in public indoor spaces indefinitely. No real downside to that. But people simultaneously need to understand that covid at that point is almost certainly non-lethal, and that getting a breakthrough case with recent-enough vaccination will have an incredibly low chance of significant complication and will render them more immune for it.

At a certain point, people are going to have to acknowledge some of the basic realities of how this is playing out, with some jettisoning their conspiracy horse-**** and others tamping down their hysterical fear despite doing everything within reason correct.

As this relates to the NBA, it is equally asinine for players to not be current on their shots. And it sounds like Rudy ain’t.
We should slow down on Rudy here.... you get tested if you are symptomatic... and he was sick.... so I assume that is what triggered the test here.

We should slow down on Rudy here.... you get tested if you are symptomatic... and he was sick.... so I assume that is what triggered the test here.
But let's go over the facts here. He had COVID. He has since gotten the two dose vaccine (assumed). That is a pretty high level of protection. If he put a booster on top of that he would have Gobert level of NBA defense against the COVID. If, despite that, he got posterized by COVID a second time it would go into the COVID HOF.

My guess is that he has passed on the booster, but it is a guess. With two infections and a two dose vaccine he should be solid, I'd assume. But even then, get the ****ing booster. Either he's extra special compromised or he's as unlucky as a lottery winner is lucky. Get the booster then get the next booster after that.

But let's go over the facts here. He had COVID. He has since gotten the two dose vaccine (assumed). That is a pretty high level of protection. If he put a booster on top of that he would have Gobert level of NBA defense against the COVID. If, despite that, he got posterized by COVID a second time it would go into the COVID HOF.

My guess is that he has passed on the booster, but it is a guess. With two infections and a two dose vaccine he should be solid, I'd assume. But even then, get the ****ing booster. Either he's extra special compromised or he's as unlucky as a lottery winner is lucky. Get the booster then get the next booster after that.
I don't know man... this thing is not nearly as predictable as you are making it out to be. Early on I knew a husband and wife that got it... both out of shape... husband was fine in a week or so... wife died.

Maybe he didn't get it but we are making some assumptions here.

I don't know man... this thing is not nearly as predictable as you are making it out to be. Early on I knew a husband and wife that got it... both out of shape... husband was fine in a week or so... wife died.

Maybe he didn't get it but we are making some assumptions here.
Fair enough man. I don't know.

Fair enough man. I don't know.

This virus is just so weird and I have fought my wife about 50 times on vaccines... so she always brings up the instances where someone is vaxxed and still gets sick and yada yada yada. Its just strange to me how some who get it really feel it and others barely at all... and most are current on their vaccines.

My wife works as an RN in Henderson Hospital (basically Las Vegas) says that she and her coworkers have observed that those that are vaccinated, their symptoms were less severe and recovered faster. She also tells me she’s seen many men around my age, (33) even athletes become almost immobilized and would prefer to lie in the hospital bed with oxygen on.

Sounds nuts to me. I think I might have had it late November 2020 before media break out when I lived in my friends house before I married. It just felt like a severe cold to me, so maybe I’m wrong… or healthy.. Sometimes I wonder if it could be related to blood type but my wife says that there is no chance.

Covid seems so mysterious. I hear so much about it but seems it effects everyone differently. Vaccinated or not.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

My wife works as an RN in Henderson Hospital (basically Las Vegas) says that she and her coworkers have observed that those that are vaccinated, their symptoms were less severe and recovered faster. She also tells me she’s seen many men around my age, (33) even athletes become almost immobilized and would prefer to lie in the hospital bed with oxygen on.

Sounds nuts to me. I think I might have had it late November 2020 before media break out when I lived in my friends house before I married. It just felt like a severe cold to me, so maybe I’m wrong… or healthy.. Sometimes I wonder if it could be related to blood type but my wife says that there is no chance.

Covid seems so mysterious. I hear so much about it but seems it effects everyone differently. Vaccinated or not.

Also I am fully vaccinated (both doses and booster) and probably infected from 2020. Las Vegas mandate still in full effect. We had maybe like a month of freedom.

Probably not public info (I don't know) but I'd be interested in his vaccination status. He is the NBA OG COVID patient zero, I assume he has been "fully vaxxed" with two doses. If he also has the booster within the last couple months and got COVID again then all I can say is I'm giving up hope of not catching it.

I'm working in hospitals now. Not just "a" hospital, but traveling around to all the hospitals in the area on a daily basis. I am vaxxed and boosted, but if a guy who is that and also had COVID before gets COVID again then I'm ****ed.
At least over here in Norway, the general consensus is that we'll all (at least close to all) get omicron, and the vaccinated people will be a bit sick, the unvaccinated will clog up the hospitals. We have a ~90% vaccination rate, and >50% unvaxxed ICU patients (and the rest are elderly or immunocompromised).

It seems like the majority of NBA players recover quickly, so that's good.

These vaccines are for a totally different strain of covid. It's actually pretty dumb. The omnicron is highly contagious but very mild. Good news is it will give you antibodies unlike our useless vaccines.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
They're not for other strains, they work well against omicron, they just don't work that well against catching it.

I know (well, at least that's what he's said himself on twitter) that the British chess GM Nigel Short has had all the vaccines, yet caught covid at least twice (I think actually three times), and the last round put him in the hospital and everything. I'm guessing he must've been one of those who don't respond well to the vaccines.

It appears everybody is going to get Omicron. Silver lining its getting over with at this point in the season rather than during playoffs. Hopefully everybody recovers.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using JazzFanz mobile app

Which tells me he isn’t boosted and that he’s kinda dumb.

I believe that if one player on a team pops, everyone must be tested no matter what. Before boosters you didn’t have to get tested unless you had symptoms or your teammate had symptoms and popped. This was for 100% vaccinated teams only. That’s why teams got hit hard all at once. Many teams were 100% and weren’t getting tested, but once someone had symptoms they all had to get tested and that’s how you get multiple cases all at once. There’s an Andy Larsen tweet that explains this.

In other words, immunity for testing only existed if the entire team was 100% and there were no active cases. I would assume that it’s the same with boosters. Since Joe had already popped, the Jazz would have to get daily testing with or without boosters. Gobert getting tested is independent of his booster status.

He also had symptoms, so even if I’m missing something, that would absolutely trigger a test. You can still get symptoms with a booster, and there’s just no chance the NBA won’t force a player with symptoms to get tested even if they had the booster.

I would pause on calling someone dumb without the proper info.

I believe that if one player on a team pops, everyone must be tested no matter what. Before boosters you didn’t have to get tested unless you had symptoms or your teammate had symptoms and popped. This was for 100% vaccinated teams only. That’s why teams got hit hard all at once. Many teams were 100% and weren’t getting tested, but once someone had symptoms they all had to get tested and that’s how you get multiple cases all at once. There’s an Andy Larsen tweet that explains this.

In other words, immunity for testing only existed if the entire team was 100% and there were no active cases. I would assume that it’s the same with boosters. Since Joe had already popped, the Jazz would have to get daily testing with or without boosters. Gobert getting tested is independent of his booster status.

He also had symptoms, so even if I’m missing something, that would absolutely trigger a test. You can still get symptoms with a booster, and there’s just no chance the NBA won’t force a player with symptoms to get tested even if they had the booster.

I would pause on calling someone dumb without the proper info.
I agree. My bad.

Somewhat anecdotal…but I work with a lot of different public health experts and administrators across the country (and some international). My boss has a PhD and was focused in vaccine research and I hear his thoughts every week on the topic. Everybody I’ve listened to has more or less the same opinion on Omicron. We are all going to get it, covid will likely be a factor in our lives to some extent indefinitely, and vaccination (plus potential antivirals) are going to determine the severity of that indefinite impact.

People have long been worn down from the all the effects of covid, health and non health related. Unfortunately our medical professionals have it significantly worse than everyone else and are carrying an unreasonable burden. So while we will all have to live our life eventually, our healthcare infrastructure cannot handle this volume.

Public health is already a challenge on its own, especially in America. People usually think of unvaccinated people as the MAGA crowd, conspiracy nuts, or the granola essential oil crowd. But the fact is that there are underserved populations in our healthcare system that are suffering at higher rates from this pandemic. Throw in the political culture war and we’ve got a massive problem ahead of us.

Somewhat anecdotal…but I work with a lot of different public health experts and administrators across the country (and some international). My boss has a PhD and was focused in vaccine research and I hear his thoughts every week on the topic. Everybody I’ve listened to has more or less the same opinion on Omicron. We are all going to get it, covid will likely be a factor in our lives to some extent indefinitely, and vaccination (plus potential antivirals) are going to determine the severity of that indefinite impact.

People have long been worn down from the all the effects of covid, health and non health related. Unfortunately our medical professionals have it significantly worse than everyone else and are carrying an unreasonable burden. So while we will all have to live our life eventually, our healthcare infrastructure cannot handle this volume.

Public health is already a challenge on its own, especially in America. People usually think of unvaccinated people as the MAGA crowd, conspiracy nuts, or the granola essential oil crowd. But the fact is that there are underserved populations in our healthcare system that are suffering at higher rates from this pandemic. Throw in the political culture war and we’ve got a massive problem ahead of us.

aside from whether you're vaccinated or not the presence of things like pre-existing conditions and things like hypertension, obesity, metabolically compromised and age form a massive part of the average outcome with Covid. But the variability is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.